Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
102 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop on the Burgeoning Restaurant Industry Across the Hudson
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/15 23:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
good article. now if fulop wants to put jc on the foodie map, he aim to get a wegman's or fairway or tj or even a wf. i like shop-rite but is so ______.

WF is easily the worst of your options. It is such a ripoff. Obviously many people disagree with me judging by their growth, but I feel like if you are cost conscious enough to live in JC instead of Manhattan, you are not the type of person to frequent WF.

While I agree about "Whole Paycheck", that might be changing:

http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/ ... le-foods-discount-grocery

Posted on: 2014/10/3 14:12

Re: Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop on the Burgeoning Restaurant Industry Across the Hudson
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
Love this line:

"Dealing with the Port Authority is probably one of the worst things anybody can ask for in life"

Nothing like some bold inflammatory hyperbole to get me chuckling.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Damn must every thread be about Wholefoods? But since you asked people who are now moving to GV(Greenville) are Fashionista's and foodies because of all that extra cash that is not being spent on house payments or rents. I see Gucci and Wholefood bags everywhere.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 12:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
good article. now if fulop wants to put jc on the foodie map, he aim to get a wegman's or fairway or tj or even a wf. i like shop-rite but is so ______.

WF is easily the worst of your options. It is such a ripoff. Obviously many people disagree with me judging by their growth, but I feel like if you are cost conscious enough to live in JC instead of Manhattan, you are not the type of person to frequent WF.

Some people choose to live here as it is less crowded than any borough in NYC. It's also closer for people who work on Wall Street than living in the UES or UWS. Seeing the amount people that carry WF or TJ bags on the train or light rail makes me believe that there is definitely a market in JC for a better grocer. Having said that, there will be a major draw from neighboring areas to DTJC (Bayonne, JC Heights, Port Imperial) as it is easier than going into the city to buy groceries.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 12:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 1:37
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Totally agreed. I know there are other threads on this, but it would be so fantastic to see a WF, Fairway or even Trader Joe's in DTJC. Disagree that it's the wrong demographics for it. So dismayed we haven't seen it yet.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 4:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I always felt that the Shoprite in Hoboken was a little more upscale than the one in JC. Hoboken stocks some higher-end items you can't find in JC. Why not?

More EBT shoppers here, and they are not going to buy high end items. People making over 75k here are the minority.

Fulop was very honest about the heights transportation problem. I am surprised he did not try and sugar coat it.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 3:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

I always felt that the Shoprite in Hoboken was a little more upscale than the one in JC. Hoboken stocks some higher-end items you can't find in JC. Why not?

Posted on: 2014/10/3 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds more like a case of poor business plans / poor understanding of JC's demographics and failing businesses looking for a scapegoat.

Posted on: 2014/10/3 2:30
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/3 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/2 21:00

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop on the Burgeoning Restaurant Industry Across the Hudson
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Adam Robb Thu., Oct. 2 2014 at 12:04 PM

It's been several years since politics hindered Jersey City's success as a dining destination. The last major scandal was in 2009, when a crackdown on a thriving downtown food-truck scene, which included the Taco Truck and Cinnamon Snail, uncovered outdated ordinances and led to the investigation of a health department official accused of selling more than 100 bogus permits. At the same time, new brick-and-mortar businesses attracted to the vacant storefronts surrounding the Grove Street PATH station faced countless delays for construction and inspection.

Now, though, business is booming on the sidewalk and curbside.

Following the trans-Hudson expansions of Barcade and Two Boots, incoming talent from Momofuku, Casellula, and Arturo's in Maplewood have respectively opened Thirty Acres, Third & Vine, and Razza, all to regional acclaim, while Vendy-winning food trucks and a new generation of bakers and cheese makers feature in expanding farmers' markets and street fairs like the Jersey City Project and 6th Borough Market.

Now, the biggest hindrance for exploring the Jersey City dining scene is getting here, a political headache out of the city's control. Earlier this year, the Port Authority suspended weekend PATH service between the World Trade Center and Journal Square, home to the area's best Indian restaurants and the new Mana Contemporary arts center. It's also the shortest route to Jersey City's west side, home to old-school cop hangouts like Carmine's Deli, Greenville's red-sauce townhouse Laico's, and Mod Cup, a former Hoboken coffee shop now roasting beans in the Jersey City Heights.

More

Posted on: 2014/10/2 19:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017