Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Free Daffodils for JC residents from the Jersey City Parks Coalition-Big Dig 2014
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gutloo wrote:
Hello Parkman,

Thank you very much for this detailed information. Appreciate it. Decided against planting next to the tree. On the hunt for good affordable planters and maybe a deep pot too.

Thank you for the free bulbs.

Gutloo
This weekend, the Jersey City Parks Coalition will giving away the balance of their 91,500 daffodil bubs that were purchased for this year?s Big Dig. We have provided for free, over 80,000 to residents of Jersey City who have a planting area that is visible to the public.

Tomorrow, rain or shine, I will have bulbs available at the Van Vorst Park Farmers? Market from 11am-1pm. You may have up to 50 high quality bulbs if you sign a pledge to plant them before Nov. 5th, have a location that the public may see, and that you are a Jersey City resident.

Come out and help us raise our total of planted bulbs in all the wards of JC to 230,000 over the last 4 years. If you can?t make it to VVP tomorrow, the Lincoln Park Farmers? Market will also have bulbs on Sunday (11/2/14).

parkman

Posted on: 2014/11/1 3:29

Re: Free Daffodils for JC residents from the Jersey City Parks Coalition-Big Dig 2014

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/27 4:05
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Parkman,

Thank you very much for this detailed information. Appreciate it. Decided against planting next to the tree. On the hunt for good affordable planters and maybe a deep pot too.

Thank you for the free bulbs.

Gutloo

Posted on: 2014/10/23 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

gutloo wrote:
Hello Parkman,

Hope you're doing well. I got 50 bulbs on Sunday & I wanted to know if I can get any help or advice on planting them. I saw the info & video in the BIGDIG email & googled about daffodils but given the plethora of info & options, I'm confused about where I should plant the bulbs.

I wanted to plant them next a tree outside the apartment but I'm unsure if that's a good idea. Will continuous dog pee kill the bulbs & flowers? How can I determine if the soil will be a good match for the daffodil bulbs? I'm afraid I'm running out of time & so I was just thinking of buying pots for the bulbs but then again I'm unsure about the pot dimensions, material,soil type, fertilizer, number of bulbs in each pot. But then I'm concerned that if I pot them then they won't "bloom for years" & maybe there's a better chance of them blooming if I plant them in the ground?

I'm sorry if my questions sound really stupid. I just want to do this right. Can't wait to plant the bulbs & see them bloom into flowers!
Hi Gutloo,

First of all, thank you for participating in the Jersey City Park Coalition?s fourth annual ?Big Dig ? event. It?s not too late for others to join as well as we have about 15,000 bulbs left of 91,000 to give away free this Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Please check out our home page at www. jcparks.org for locations and times.

To answer your question, these bulbs are of very high quality and are a ?naturalizing? variety, which means they will come back each year if planted and maintained properly?they will also multiply. They will do best in the ground, in a deep planter or window box, small pots are not adequate. Any good soil will work; they are not fussy about light (though not complete shade), and with average watering, They may be planted in a tree pit as long as you can get enough room around the tree?s roots?.we did this on the perimeter of Van Vorst Park. I you do use a tree pit, I suggest that you plant away from the curb in order to avoid the salt from the street during winter. Unless dog pee is the only source of liquid the bulbs get, that shouldn?t be a problem, although it would be better without that kind of moisture.

In order to have them come back strong each year and help them multiply, you must remove the seed head after flowering, which will direct the energy of the plant back into the bulb instead of the seedpod. Do not remove the leaves until they start to turn yellow, which may be a month or so, then cut them to the ground.

Hope this is not too much info, but if you follow the above you?ll have years of healthy daffodils. Thanks for adding to our 138,000 already in the ground, and for helping to make Jersey City a little more beautiful in the spring.

parkman

Posted on: 2014/10/22 14:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/27 4:05
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hello Parkman,

Hope you're doing well. I got 50 bulbs on Sunday & I wanted to know if I can get any help or advice on planting them. I saw the info & video in the BIGDIG email & googled about daffodils but given the plethora of info & options, I'm confused about where I should plant the bulbs.

I wanted to plant them next a tree outside the apartment but I'm unsure if that's a good idea. Will continuous dog pee kill the bulbs & flowers? How can I determine if the soil will be a good match for the daffodil bulbs? I'm afraid I'm running out of time & so I was just thinking of buying pots for the bulbs but then again I'm unsure about the pot dimensions, material,soil type, fertilizer, number of bulbs in each pot. But then I'm concerned that if I pot them then they won't "bloom for years" & maybe there's a better chance of them blooming if I plant them in the ground?

I'm sorry if my questions sound really stupid. I just want to do this right. Can't wait to plant the bulbs & see them bloom into flowers!

Posted on: 2014/10/22 6:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

parkman wrote:

PLEASE SHARE WITH YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS & NEIGHBORS

Join the Jersey City Parks Coalition ?BIG DIG 2014 Give Away?
The Jersey City Parks Coalition has partnered with the City of Jersey City and its various agencies since 2011 on an annual citywide project known as the BIG DIG. The goal was to engage residents with an opportunity to volunteer for National Make a Difference Day with a citywide project that would effectively beautify parks, public spaces, gateways, major intersections along with public school and library grounds with colorful spring blooming bulbs.

The Jersey City Parks Coalition will be promoting its fourth annual BIG DIG this October but adding a unique twist that extends the beautification from the public spaces to the homeowner and tenants (who have permission from their landlords to plant), in widow boxes. planters, lawns, and tree pits. Instead of asking residents to be volunteers, we will be asking them to actually volunteer their own front yards as planting sites for dozens of daffodils, free of charge, for neighbors and visitors to enjoy. Every participant will sign a pledge to plant where all can see the blooms. It continues our goal of promoting civic pride in not only the public spaces but now encourages homeowner participation and neighborhood beautification.

All you need to know are in the attachments & link but here are some highlights:
? If you live in Jersey City or own property here, take the pledge
? Encourage your neighbors to take the pledge?.it?s easy!
? If you own a business become a sponsor of the BIG DIG. Consider an investment in our City by choosing a sponsorship level appropriate to your Company?s community investment goals.
? Make a personal donation of $100 and you can receive a bag of 250 premium daffodil bulbs.
I know the difference we can all make in our neighborhoods. Won?t you join me? I've attached the sponsorship packet, the hard copy pledge form and here?s the link to register on line:

http://www.eventbrite.com/
search for Big Dig

The Jersey City Parks Coalition welcomes you to the 2014 BIG DIG Giveaway!!!
Each October since 2011, the Jersey City Parks Coalition (JCPC) and the City of Jersey City has asked for volunteers to help plant Jersey City?s public spaces with spring bulbs for National Make a Difference Day. Many residents and corporate employees responded to that call. With their help, over 138,000 daffodils and tulips have been planted that brighten up our city every spring with vibrant yellow, red and orange flowers.
This year the JCPC would like to extend that color into each neighborhood by asking residents to participate by planting THEIR OWN properties with daffodil bulbs in a front yard including tree wells in front of a home or apartment building, window boxes or planters. The JCPC will be distributing daffodil bulbs free of charge to anyone who signs the pledge committing to plant bulbs where they will be seen by everyone; neighbors and visitors alike to Jersey City. Bulbs can be picked up Oct. 11 to Oct. 19 at designated locations and need to be in the ground by Nov. 1.
So take the pledge and together with the JCPC we will make Jersey City a more beautiful city for everyone who lives, works and visits here.
Regsiter on line at: http://www.eventbrite.com/ search for Big Dig (be sure that the location is set to Jersey City, NJ)
If you don?t have access to the internet completed Pledge forms can be returned to your local JCPC representative or mailed to: Jersey City Parks Coalition, PO Box 17196, Jersey City, NJ 07307

Plant and Care Information:
Daffodils are perennial spring blooming yellow flowers with green foliage, returning year after year. They also naturalize which means they multiply when given the proper planting location in the ground. But they are also excellent for pots and window boxes.
They like full sun best but will tolerate some shade. Daffodil bulbs dislike wetness (wet feet) and require well drained soil (pots and window boxes must have drainage holes). The bulbs are rabbit, rodent and squirrel resistant. A low nitrogen fertilizer, like bulb booster, can be applied in the spring when growth begins to appear.
After the flower head fades it should be removed so the plant?s energy goes into the bulb and doesn?t form seeds. Most importantly, the foliage must not be cut once the flower fades or the plant will not build the strength to bloom the next spring. Overall daffodils require little care once established and will continue to burst into bloom in the early spring for years to come.

They?re FREE, up to 50, 80,000 daffodil bulbs are available, and you have the opportunity to add to the re-blooming 138,000 already planted throughout all wards in Jersey City by the Jersey City Parks Coalition, their supporters, and volunteers

Let?s make next spring even more spectacular, with homeowners and tenants taking pride in the community they would like to improve.

parkman

Posted on: 2014/10/2 3:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
Thx Parkman!
The ?Big Dig? is much more than just me. It is brought to you by the Jersey City Parks Coalition, which is made up of your volunteer neighbors in approximately 25 city/county parks and historic cemeteries in Jersey City. We are a 501 ?(3) non-profit that maintains, fundraises, and is dedicated to improving our green spaces.

Please visit our website at www.jcparks.org for more background, images of previous Big Digs, and ways you can help in our parks. Also on Facebook at Jersey City Parks Coalition.

parkman

Posted on: 2014/9/25 13:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Thx Parkman!

Posted on: 2014/9/25 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
They actually need to be in the cold for the winter but must be planted early enough to establish a root system. These are top quality "naturalizing" bulbs that will return each spring and multiply over the years if properly maintained.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 3:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Thx - just signed up.

Can these survive outside through the winter? I see that they need to be planted by Nov 1? I plan to plant these in planters on the front stoop.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 3:35

Free Daffodils for JC residents from the Jersey City Parks Coalition-Big Dig 2014
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users

PLEASE SHARE WITH YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS & NEIGHBORS

Join the Jersey City Parks Coalition ?BIG DIG 2014 Give Away?
The Jersey City Parks Coalition has partnered with the City of Jersey City and its various agencies since 2011 on an annual citywide project known as the BIG DIG. The goal was to engage residents with an opportunity to volunteer for National Make a Difference Day with a citywide project that would effectively beautify parks, public spaces, gateways, major intersections along with public school and library grounds with colorful spring blooming bulbs.

The Jersey City Parks Coalition will be promoting its fourth annual BIG DIG this October but adding a unique twist that extends the beautification from the public spaces to the homeowner and tenants (who have permission from their landlords to plant), in widow boxes. planters, lawns, and tree pits. Instead of asking residents to be volunteers, we will be asking them to actually volunteer their own front yards as planting sites for dozens of daffodils, free of charge, for neighbors and visitors to enjoy. Every participant will sign a pledge to plant where all can see the blooms. It continues our goal of promoting civic pride in not only the public spaces but now encourages homeowner participation and neighborhood beautification.

All you need to know are in the attachments & link but here are some highlights:
? If you live in Jersey City or own property here, take the pledge
? Encourage your neighbors to take the pledge?.it?s easy!
? If you own a business become a sponsor of the BIG DIG. Consider an investment in our City by choosing a sponsorship level appropriate to your Company?s community investment goals.
? Make a personal donation of $100 and you can receive a bag of 250 premium daffodil bulbs.
I know the difference we can all make in our neighborhoods. Won?t you join me? I've attached the sponsorship packet, the hard copy pledge form and here?s the link to register on line:

http://www.eventbrite.com/
search for Big Dig

The Jersey City Parks Coalition welcomes you to the 2014 BIG DIG Giveaway!!!
Each October since 2011, the Jersey City Parks Coalition (JCPC) and the City of Jersey City has asked for volunteers to help plant Jersey City?s public spaces with spring bulbs for National Make a Difference Day. Many residents and corporate employees responded to that call. With their help, over 138,000 daffodils and tulips have been planted that brighten up our city every spring with vibrant yellow, red and orange flowers.
This year the JCPC would like to extend that color into each neighborhood by asking residents to participate by planting THEIR OWN properties with daffodil bulbs in a front yard including tree wells in front of a home or apartment building, window boxes or planters. The JCPC will be distributing daffodil bulbs free of charge to anyone who signs the pledge committing to plant bulbs where they will be seen by everyone; neighbors and visitors alike to Jersey City. Bulbs can be picked up Oct. 11 to Oct. 19 at designated locations and need to be in the ground by Nov. 1.
So take the pledge and together with the JCPC we will make Jersey City a more beautiful city for everyone who lives, works and visits here.
Regsiter on line at: http://www.eventbrite.com/ search for Big Dig (be sure that the location is set to Jersey City, NJ)
If you don?t have access to the internet completed Pledge forms can be returned to your local JCPC representative or mailed to: Jersey City Parks Coalition, PO Box 17196, Jersey City, NJ 07307

Plant and Care Information:
Daffodils are perennial spring blooming yellow flowers with green foliage, returning year after year. They also naturalize which means they multiply when given the proper planting location in the ground. But they are also excellent for pots and window boxes.
They like full sun best but will tolerate some shade. Daffodil bulbs dislike wetness (wet feet) and require well drained soil (pots and window boxes must have drainage holes). The bulbs are rabbit, rodent and squirrel resistant. A low nitrogen fertilizer, like bulb booster, can be applied in the spring when growth begins to appear.
After the flower head fades it should be removed so the plant?s energy goes into the bulb and doesn?t form seeds. Most importantly, the foliage must not be cut once the flower fades or the plant will not build the strength to bloom the next spring. Overall daffodils require little care once established and will continue to burst into bloom in the early spring for years to come.

Posted on: 2014/9/25 3:17

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017