Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
81 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 81

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City Planning Board Approves 21-story McGinley Square Tower
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Out of curiosity, I just looked at the AJ Madison website. The difference in price between white and stainless Bosch stoves and refrigerators is $90.00 and $100.00 for Miele dishwashers. Retail. What do you suppose the difference is when you order 200?

Posted on: 2014/8/29 23:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
[/quote]

Vindication is being facetious; he's making the point that he shouldn't be entitled to such things.

That said, he's also hilarious. Dark hardwood flooring for the poors, dammit![/quote]

Haha. Wow that totally went over my head! But you will be surprised at how many people actually believe that the government and society should give them a break because they can't afford certain luxuries.

Posted on: 2014/8/29 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

craigslistdiva wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

In any case, since we are not talking a mother with 8 children on welfare and are talking about middle class americans, why again do I not have the right to enjoy amenities at a reduced price that I cannot afford? Give me a discount on Kim Kardashian's helicopter or private jet so I can afford it. That will better my life too...

Vindication15 that's very naive.

For the same reason as it is unfair to sell a Mercedes Benz to someone for the price of a Corolla because they cannot afford it. Life doesn't work on handouts. There is a price set for certain goods/services and if I can afford it, I will. If I cannot, I will buy what I can afford. Luxury goods/services are not a basic necessity.

I am one of the "middle class" people. I have a job and I work very hard. I don't expect someone to give me something because I don't make enough money. I don't make enough money because of the choices I made for my career. If I had chosen to become an investment banker and made $4 million a year I would have the money to rent the Kardashian's private jet. Since I did not make those choices, I will live within my means. And I don't expect anyone to give me any handouts or discounts.

Vindication is being facetious; he's making the point that he shouldn't be entitled to such things.

That said, he's also hilarious. Dark hardwood flooring for the poors, dammit!

Posted on: 2014/8/28 19:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

In any case, since we are not talking a mother with 8 children on welfare and are talking about middle class americans, why again do I not have the right to enjoy amenities at a reduced price that I cannot afford? Give me a discount on Kim Kardashian's helicopter or private jet so I can afford it. That will better my life too...

Vindication15 that's very naive.

For the same reason as it is unfair to sell a Mercedes Benz to someone for the price of a Corolla because they cannot afford it. Life doesn't work on handouts. There is a price set for certain goods/services and if I can afford it, I will. If I cannot, I will buy what I can afford. Luxury goods/services are not a basic necessity.

I am one of the "middle class" people. I have a job and I work very hard. I don't expect someone to give me something because I don't make enough money. I don't make enough money because of the choices I made for my career. If I had chosen to become an investment banker and made $4 million a year I would have the money to rent the Kardashian's private jet. Since I did not make those choices, I will live within my means. And I don't expect anyone to give me any handouts or discounts.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Maybe I missed something but why are people so sure that the lower income tenants will have access to a swimming pool and high end stainless steel appliances? Im pretty sure I read that those amenities come at an extra cost to the low income tenants and Im sure the developers are not 'fully loading' these apts with high ends appliances either.

The fact is, they tried project housing in the 50s and believe it or not, it didnt work out well. Grouping lower income people together and quarantining them into a several block area has been a disaster, whereas setting aside a few units here and there has proven to be a much more successful and less demoralizing alternative.

The people occupying these units are not on welfare, they are cops, teachers, etc as someone else mentioned. We are not talking about section 8. We are talking middle class.

There are individuals in my building who are inhabiting these units and although their finishes are not the best package - "dark hardwood flooring" instead of light hardwood flooring and they are on lower floors, they have the same access to the same amenities that I do.

Usually access to roof decks, gyms, pools, etc are via a key fob but these individuals get the same key fob. The concierge also does not ask what unit you are in before he services you. I have pushed this unfairness issue with the board but as many of you board seem to think, it is a RIGHT that they have these amenities at a reduced price.

Also, the fact that there has been so much pushback from having a separate entrance for affordable housing units in a luxury building points to the fact that many in these buildings do not limit access to these individuals.

What if the separate entrance is just an entrance that just doesn't have the concierge? I forget, you people think that it is a right.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Maybe I missed something but why are people so sure that the lower income tenants will have access to a swimming pool and high end stainless steel appliances? Im pretty sure I read that those amenities come at an extra cost to the low income tenants and Im sure the developers are not 'fully loading' these apts with high ends appliances either.

The fact is, they tried project housing in the 50s and believe it or not, it didnt work out well. Grouping lower income people together and quarantining them into a several block area has been a disaster, whereas setting aside a few units here and there has proven to be a much more successful and less demoralizing alternative.

That's the argument currently in NYC-in some luxury projects there are separate amenities and entrances depending on whether you pay market rate or have a subsidized rate.

But the duty, if there is one, of providing affordable housing is to provide basic needs so you can spread those basic needs among a wider number of people.

Placing a select or lucky few into below market units in luxury, market rate housing is contrary to that goal in my opinion.

Will they next mandate that cable companies provide premium tier cable/internet for those units at basic prices? I'd say I'm kidding, but you can hear the liberal elite politicians opine 'It's racist to keep the highest speed internet away from the underprivileged kids who need it to do homework'.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:

I doubt your empirical evidence will stand up to the power of platitudes.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/28 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Nah, I think if you're going to provide subsidized housing with a finite amount of money you want to benefit as many as possible, that's all. Doing less with more isn't a good idea in my book. Feel free to disagree.

I haven't seen anyone really respond to this comment. Isn't it something people of all political affiliations can agree on? Affordable housing should be maximized to benefit as many as you can. Not benefit a select few with luxury affordable housing.

Not they way he defined it earlier, no. The devil with this sort of statement is in the details. The cheapest land is in the poorest neighborhoods and would 'benefit' of the most possible people.

Who runs the housing if it is offsite somewhere else?
Who decides where it goes if it isn't just part of a building that is already being built?
What neighborhoods get the new subsidized buildings? Who decides that? Where does the land come from?
How far from the project that is giving the money can it be?

This is how we wound up with the projects.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Living anywhere near Kanye West sounds like one of my worst nightmares. But your concept of "fair" is very skewed. There's a simple solution if you don't want to live in an 80/20 building...don't live in it. Live somewhere else. Plenty of people who have no issue with paying a market-competitive rent for THEIR unit without worrying what someone else pays will take your place. See? What could be more fair?

What is skewed about my concept? Having everyone pay their fair share and not subsidizing other people's non-essential needs?

I contribute to SS, social safety net - good
I contribute to Medicare - social safety net - good
Apparently, I'm also contributing to someone's use of the roof deck and in door gym in my building - not good

You don't get it, if govt didn't offer these silly incentives, there would be more market rate rentals available, driving down the price thereby I would be paying less for my OWN unit.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Living anywhere near Kanye West sounds like one of my worst nightmares. But your concept of "fair" is very skewed. There's a simple solution if you don't want to live in an 80/20 building...don't live in it. Live somewhere else. Plenty of people who have no issue with paying a market-competitive rent for THEIR unit without worrying what someone else pays will take your place. See? What could be more fair?

Posted on: 2014/8/28 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Nah, I think if you're going to provide subsidized housing with a finite amount of money you want to benefit as many as possible, that's all. Doing less with more isn't a good idea in my book. Feel free to disagree.

I haven't seen anyone really respond to this comment. Isn't it something people of all political affiliations can agree on? Affordable housing should be maximized to benefit as many as you can. Not benefit a select few with luxury affordable housing.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I think people may be conflating the idea of what "affordable housing" really is under the COAH guidelines in NJ. We're not talking about trucking in some welfare mom with 8 kids and setting them loose in your "luxury" building. People who qualify for these kinds of units have moderate incomes (maybe about $75,000 for a family of 4). That's a teacher, a cop, a bus driver...and while these people may not be "entitled" to such grand luxuries as a stainless-steel refrigerator, I hardly think it will kill anyone if they have it. I promise they won't be pestering the concierge to get them a seat on the Hamptons Jitney.

By the way, before anybody has a freakfest, I'm not insulting the welfare moms, although I may question their choices. I'm just saying that's a different social issue than this kind of project addresses.

If living with a higher income class is so beneficial than I am waiting for my subsidy so I can live in Kanye West's apartment building. I can't seem to find that application though.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Those less fortunate should have housing available to them on a temporary basis to get them off their feet. Temporary could even mean a couple of years. This shouldn't be permanent housing.

More importantly, this housing shouldn't be in a luxury apartment as that is unfair to those who pay market rates. Also, affordable housing in a luxury building makes absolutely no sense. You are basically saying it is a right to have stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and a concierge. It's extremely unfair to those who pay market rate.

So, you think you are paying "market rate" but if you are living in a building that includes affordable housing units, you are actually paying a lower price than you would have to pay otherwise.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Way to broaden the argument. I'm for 80/20 neighborhoods - just not the same building. Call it luxury, don't call it luxury - I don't care. The fact remains - there are tenants in these buildings that get amenities such as a pool, indoor gym, concierge, roof deck, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances at an unfair price - not market rate.

It's unfair for me to have to pay for these amenities at market value. These amenities ARE NOT essential for affordable housing. I would like to hear your argument that it is...

There is no such thing as 80/20 neighborhoods! The 80/20 concept applies to specific developments and buildings. As of late, they have relaxed the rules to allow for developers to transfer the perks derived from affordable housing agreements to other buildings/development within a half mile of the one for which the agreement was struck. In any case, the point to the 80/20 concept is to encourage folks who are otherwise marginalized, or unable to afford living in these places, to improve their lot by "rubbing shoulders" with others who are at a better station in life.

As for your "unfair price" argument, I see your point, but you are wrong. Everyone is getting a discounted price. The people in affordable housing are getting a bigger discount, yes. But, so are you. Just because you don't realize that, it doesn't nullify that fact. And, no one is saying poorer folks are entitled to living in luxury. My limited interaction with people in "affordable housing" units in luxury/nice buildings tells me that they are incredibly grateful and mindful of the "perk"/benefit they are enjoying. For those who have kids, I can imagine that the privilege is life altering, as they can count on their kids seeing (with their own eyes) the possibilities of a life of privilege.

Believe me... I am no bleeding heart liberal (some people who know me well would be aghast to read what I am writing here!) but I do think affordable housing is a net benefit for our society.

I'm paying market rate as defined by new York State
http://www.nyshcr.org/topics/develope ... nt/8020housingprogram.htm

The remaining units in an 80/20 project can be rented at market rates.

Any incentive the developer gets for building a luxury development, he pockets. The extra units at "affordable housing rates" he makes up by increasing the rent on the other units. A market rate renter is subsidizing these people. If developers had their way, they would not put affordable housing in luxury buildings. It's different in NJ but the same general principles apply. It's you who do not understand the process.

Affordable housing should be affordable housing, not luxury housing.

To the comment about a cop or a teacher not some mother with 8 kids - I don't really care. The concept is not fair and no one here is arguing that having a concierge, pool, roof deck is a RIGHT. It's not fair that these people are not paying for these amenities. They should have affordable housing but these amenities are just that - amenities that should be paid for. And yes - stainless steel fridge is different than just a fridge. They should have a fridge, tv, appliances - but for it to be in a doorman building with a balcony in their unit for lower than market rates is very unfair.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I think people may be conflating the idea of what "affordable housing" really is under the COAH guidelines in NJ. We're not talking about trucking in some welfare mom with 8 kids and setting them loose in your "luxury" building. People who qualify for these kinds of units have moderate incomes (maybe about $75,000 for a family of 4). That's a teacher, a cop, a bus driver...

By the way, before anybody has a freakfest, I'm not insulting the welfare moms, although I may question their choices. I'm just saying that's a different social issue than this kind of project addresses.

well said, and given Saint Peter's involvement I'd guess a lot of those apartments will go to staff and faculty.

Don't forget those with political connections. These places are part of the rewards for political loyalty.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 14:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If you're going to extort X amount of living units from building developers for a lucky few low income families, why not extort the same amount of money to build MORE units for low income families in a building that doesn't have marble floors, high end appliances, top quality finishes, etc?

Wouldn't that serve the low income families better by making more units available, or is this another vanity program by the lawmakers for show and tell?

Where? How complex would a program have to be to figure out a suitable location, purchase the land and manage the construction of new units somewhere else? Who manages that property? What neighborhood would want those additional units and not fight them?

Sometimes simpler is better.

Of course, the white liberal elite social engineers don't want simple-they're freaking out over simple lobbies, simple flooring, simple appliances, simple wall coverings, simple views for the few chosen to live in a luxury building supported by market price tenants.

Way to change the argument. One might be tempted to think that you just want to bitch about liberals.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
If you're going to extort X amount of living units from building developers for a lucky few low income families, why not extort the same amount of money to build MORE units for low income families in a building that doesn't have marble floors, high end appliances, top quality finishes, etc?

Wouldn't that serve the low income families better by making more units available, or is this another vanity program by the lawmakers for show and tell?

Where? How complex would a program have to be to figure out a suitable location, purchase the land and manage the construction of new units somewhere else? Who manages that property? What neighborhood would want those additional units and not fight them?

Of course, the white liberal elite social engineers don't want simple-they're freaking out over simple lobbies, simple flooring, simple appliances, simple wall coverings, simple views for the few chosen to live in a luxury building supported by market price tenants.

Way to change the argument. One might be tempted to think that you just want to bitch about liberals.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 13:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/28 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I think people may be conflating the idea of what "affordable housing" really is under the COAH guidelines in NJ. We're not talking about trucking in some welfare mom with 8 kids and setting them loose in your "luxury" building. People who qualify for these kinds of units have moderate incomes (maybe about $75,000 for a family of 4). That's a teacher, a cop, a bus driver...

well said, and given Saint Peter's involvement I'd guess a lot of those apartments will go to staff and faculty.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think people may be conflating the idea of what "affordable housing" really is under the COAH guidelines in NJ. We're not talking about trucking in some welfare mom with 8 kids and setting them loose in your "luxury" building. People who qualify for these kinds of units have moderate incomes (maybe about $75,000 for a family of 4). That's a teacher, a cop, a bus driver...and while these people may not be "entitled" to such grand luxuries as a stainless-steel refrigerator, I hardly think it will kill anyone if they have it. I promise they won't be pestering the concierge to get them a seat on the Hamptons Jitney.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/8/28 12:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/28 11:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
In any case, the point to the 80/20 concept is to encourage folks who are otherwise marginalized, or unable to afford living in these places, to improve their lot by "rubbing shoulders" with others who are at a better station in life.

Pshaw - who died and made you Rudyard Kipling?

Posted on: 2014/8/28 11:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Those less fortunate should have housing available to them on a temporary basis to get them off their feet. Temporary could even mean a couple of years. This shouldn't be permanent housing.

More importantly, this housing shouldn't be in a luxury apartment as that is unfair to those who pay market rates. Also, affordable housing in a luxury building makes absolutely no sense. You are basically saying it is a right to have stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and a concierge. It's extremely unfair to those who pay market rate.

I don't think you understand how these buildings get approved, built and priced. You are not paying "market rate"! You are paying a price that is actually lower than you would actually be paying if the building had not gotten its extra perks by agreeing to include affordable housing. In the more clear examples in NYC, the builder/developer gets to build bigger, taller buildings in exchange for including affordable housing units. How does that benefit the other tenants? Well, the building can maybe include several extra floors. Through the economy of scales, these additional floors allows the developer to offer the regular, (non affordable housing units) at a better price since they can recoup the costs by having more units overall. In some cases, the affordable housing agreement can include lower taxes, which directly benefit the tenants of regular units.

So, you think you are paying "market rate" but if you are living in a building that includes affordable housing units, you are actually paying a lower price than you would have to pay otherwise.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Way to broaden the argument. I'm for 80/20 neighborhoods - just not the same building. Call it luxury, don't call it luxury - I don't care. The fact remains - there are tenants in these buildings that get amenities such as a pool, indoor gym, concierge, roof deck, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances at an unfair price - not market rate.

It's unfair for me to have to pay for these amenities at market value. These amenities ARE NOT essential for affordable housing. I would like to hear your argument that it is...

There is no such thing as 80/20 neighborhoods! The 80/20 concept applies to specific developments and buildings. As of late, they have relaxed the rules to allow for developers to transfer the perks derived from affordable housing agreements to other buildings/development within a half mile of the one for which the agreement was struck. In any case, the point to the 80/20 concept is to encourage folks who are otherwise marginalized, or unable to afford living in these places, to improve their lot by "rubbing shoulders" with others who are at a better station in life.

As for your "unfair price" argument, I see your point, but you are wrong. Everyone is getting a discounted price. The people in affordable housing are getting a bigger discount, yes. But, so are you. Just because you don't realize that, it doesn't nullify that fact. And, no one is saying poorer folks are entitled to living in luxury. My limited interaction with people in "affordable housing" units in luxury/nice buildings tells me that they are incredibly grateful and mindful of the "perk"/benefit they are enjoying. For those who have kids, I can imagine that the privilege is life altering, as they can count on their kids seeing (with their own eyes) the possibilities of a life of privilege.

Believe me... I am no bleeding heart liberal (some people who know me well would be aghast to read what I am writing here!) but I do think affordable housing is a net benefit for our society.

Posted on: 2014/8/28 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/8/27 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Again with all the "luxury" nonsense. The whole concept of 80/20 developments is that the developers get what they want (market-rate, upscale housing), middle-income people get to live/stay in their neighborhood, and the whole area benefits from a mix of residents and businesses. Maybe that's not for everyone - some people want to live in a place where everyone is just like them - but it's a valuable piece of urban planning. The fact that this will also include student housing is a little odd...but St. Peter's is a college. That's what they need.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 18:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
- Segregating the students from non-student residential can make a lot of sense. Student housing may want common spaces that residents don't need; they will keep different hours; they may want different amenities, or the school might be responsible for maintaining certain amenities like a gym.

Agreed. As it should be, as college housing is usually subject to rules, regulations and restrictions not applicable to regular folks.

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
- For residential only, subsidized or middle-class residents may be willing to cut out certain luxuries in exchange for lower rents, such as doormen, elaborate lobbies, a gym, etc.

I am not sure I agree with this sentiment. The whole point to affordable housing, in the way it is envisioned, promoted and implemented, is to assure that "disadvantaged" people get to mingle with more affluent residents, under the idea that this can generate an overall positive influence on everyone. If you just stick poorer residents in a building, but keep them essentially segregated, you have not at all accomplished what you set out to do at first. I have visited many 80/20 luxury developments in Brooklyn and other parts of NYC. I think the idea is actually good and has changed my mind about affordable housing. I see families who wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford to live in a nicer neighborhood and building get to be a part of a more positive environment. I am sure that must have a good effect and influence on their kids, to be a part of a safer and healthier environment. Excluding them from the perks of such living, by outright segregation, or incentivized segregation (by allowing them to pay even less if they "choose" not to avail themselves of certain amenities) is contrary to the ideal, and probably detrimental in the long run.

except that it teaches those who are less fortunate that there is a way to live in luxury beyond working for it and earning enough to pay for it at market rates.

It's like me saying that I have a right to live in the same building as Kanye West and have those in that building subsidize me because I can't afford the rent. It's utterly ridiculous. The argument is that by living with Kanye and his circle of friends, I will feel better about myself?

Again, I am not arguing against affordable housing - just the silly notion that it is located in a luxury building.

Nicer neighborhood and affordable housing does not equal luxury building. When we equate those things, fairness flys out the window

Posted on: 2014/8/27 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
It was a mess!

The buyers / renters have been forewarned of the arrangement, though. The building will be ON St Peter's property.

edit: I'd be more concerned about the affordable housing mixed in with luxury. See: battle of the entrances in NYC on mixed buildings.

I first heard of these separate doors a month or two ago while listening to NPR. It was very surprising, and disappointing. It immediately reminded me of the old "separate, but equal" policies. Color me naive, but I will say that it really surprised that such a thing existed in modern NYC. Even more interested is that in the same NPR segment, some of the people relegated to using those doors, were perfectly fine with it. They felt it was a small (or, insignificant?) price to pay for the ability/access to apartments they would never have been able to afford otherwise. I don't know... the easy thing to say is "if they don't mind, why fuss?" but I think the principles involved are much bigger and I think it is a pretty shameful setup. I then started to read more about the subject and learned that, in some buildings, beneficiaries of affordable housing are also denied access to some of the common amenities of luxury buildings (exercise room is not available to them free of charge, etc.)

But, to my knowledge, none of this is actually going on here in JC.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 17:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/3 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
I went to one of the most recent meetings the developers and St. Peter's held to introduce the project to the neighborhood. Apparently, the entrance and facilities for the college students will be separate from those of the residential portion of the building, and all the dorm floors will be contiguous and separate from the residential floors. The only thing they'll have in common would be the facilities open to the public, such as the restaurants, theatre and retail.

I'm assuming that since it's a dorm of St. Peter's, and not off-campus housing, that all the rules regarding on-campus conduct and security will apply.

Posted on: 2014/8/27 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
- Segregating the students from non-student residential can make a lot of sense. Student housing may want common spaces that residents don't need; they will keep different hours; they may want different amenities, or the school might be responsible for maintaining certain amenities like a gym.

Agreed. As it should be, as college housing is usually subject to rules, regulations and restrictions not applicable to regular folks.

Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
- For residential only, subsidized or middle-class residents may be willing to cut out certain luxuries in exchange for lower rents, such as doormen, elaborate lobbies, a gym, etc.

I am not sure I agree with this sentiment. The whole point to affordable housing, in the way it is envisioned, promoted and implemented, is to assure that "disadvantaged" people get to mingle with more affluent residents, under the idea that this can generate an overall positive influence on everyone. If you just stick poorer residents in a building, but keep them essentially segregated, you have not at all accomplished what you set out to do at first. I have visited many 80/20 luxury developments in Brooklyn and other parts of NYC. I think the idea is actually good and has changed my mind about affordable housing. I see families who wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford to live in a nicer neighborhood and building get to be a part of a more positive environment. I am sure that must have a good effect and influence on their kids, to be a part of a safer and healthier environment. Excluding them from the perks of such living, by outright segregation, or incentivized segregation (by allowing them to pay even less if they "choose" not to avail themselves of certain amenities) is contrary to the ideal, and probably detrimental in the long run.

Posted on: 2014/8/26 15:55

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017