Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jersey City killer sentenced to 55 years in prison
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jonathan Lin | The Jersey Journal

A bereaved family's patience for justice was rewarded in a courtroom this morning when a Jersey City man convicted of killing a 21-year-old man was sentenced to 55 years in prison, the maximum allowed for his charges.

"Now my son rests in peace," said Nilsa Lopez, 59, while hugging Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor Michael D'Andrea, shortly after Judge Joseph Isabella handed down the sentence.

On Nov. 9, 2012, Quaheem Johnson, 27, was convicted of the April 19, 2008, aggravated manslaughter and robbery of Ramon Morales, 21, of Jersey City.
Johnson was also convicted of the armed robbery of a second victim that night and resisting arrest with force.

He was arrested about 10 minutes after the crimes, a short distance away at Duncan and Olean avenues. Following his arrest, Johnson's bail was set at $1 million.

This morning, Johnson chose not to speak before he was sentenced, but Morales' family did, approaching the judge armed with a poster of Morales' photos and wearing T-shirts printed with the words "Justice Has Been Served."

They weeped together as Lopez, Morales' mother, spoke of a long-awaited justice finally realized.

"I've been waiting for this justice for six years," she said, her voice often breaking off because of overwhelming emotion. "I love my son, I love my son, I love my son."

Johnson, who was represented by attorney Raymond Beam Jr., must serve at least 46 years in prison before he is eligible for parole, or when he is 73.

He did not show any emotion as Isabella delivered his sentence, even when Isabella said at one point that his actions spoke to his "complete lack of humanity and respect for our laws."

Johnson, who grew up without parents starting at 5 years old, was first arrested at 8 and had a total of 27 juvenile run-ins with the law, Isabella said, noting that his record was "horrendous."

Isabella did not say what Johnson was arrested for at 8 years old.

After getting his first adult conviction handed to him at 17 years old, Johnson spent most of his life in prison, Isabella said. His crimes included attempted murder, robbery, weapons offenses and aggravated assault, he said.

Johnson's sentencing this morning came after a long, arduous string of legal twists and turns.

His first trial in May 2011 ended in mistrial when a juror told the judge he feared for his life after three men the juror associated with Johnson showed up at his home.

More

Posted on: 2014/8/8 18:42

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017