Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
68 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: ENOUGH! 15TH CITY MURDER - JCPD OFFICER ON DUTY AT WALGREENS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:Stop with the inane comments... Instead, focus on personal responsibility and the welfare state created in the Great Society push in the 60's by Democrats. With close to 75% of black kids being born to unwed mothers, lacking a moral compass from the family unit-you're going to blame the NRA and Fortune 500 companies?

Monroe - No. Just forget it - I'm sick to death of the discussion being high-jacked by social conservatives and Republicans. If you want to continue flogging the carcass of "personal responsibility", have at it. I'm a progressive and I not having any more of your "ethic" of individualism and its emphasis on self-sufficiency (the rich are hard-working and deserve their rewards while the poor are impoverished because of personal inadequacies, etc.) when it's clear our economic and political structures fail to provide sufficient opportunities for all Americans, thereby perpetuating poverty. And yes, I place the blame squarely on corporate America, at least the incarnation we've been living with since Lewis Powell's memo in the '70s.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 17:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:...but when are we going to put an equal amount of effort and dollars into the proper prosecution and incarceration of the career thugs that are wreaking havoc in our city? When will we put some teeth into our juvenile system instead of releasing hardcore teens back into the community with a slap on the wrist?

What message are we sending when we give more concern to the criminals than the good citizens of the city?

You are putting our elected officials and leaders between a rock and a hard place - if not actually in an untenable situation.

Crimes like this, both here and in other cities such as NYC, Chicago, Paterson, etc., are concentrated in neighborhoods that both have historically been disenfranchised and have similar socio-economic and racial/ethnic demographics.

A real role of elected officials, community leaders, etc. is to offer hope, consolation, and to give people in these communities the sense someone is looking out for their interests in difficult times. I don't think they are looking out more for the criminals in their midst, rather they do what they can do.

The work ahead to benefit all good citizens is hard, and will entail goring a lot of oxen - by which I mean if you are going to crack down on Black and Hispanic youth, you are also going to have to rein in the NRA, corporations outsourcing all our good jobs, etc.

Stop with the inane comments; the thug at Walgreens stole the gun from the freaking security guard, who probably had to undergo many levels of investigation to be able to carry. And name me one company that left Greenville or the West Side by deciding to outsource good jobs from the area.

Instead, focus on personal responsibility and the welfare state created in the Great Society push in the 60's by Democrats. With close to 75% of black kids being born to unwed mothers, lacking a moral compass from the family unit-you're going to blame the NRA and Fortune 500 companies?

Yeah, it?s the fault of Democrats that a psycho decided to kill a cop before getting the suicide by cop treatment. Makes perfect sense! You aren?t an idiot at all.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
it is not just a question of having a black father or a father present....i would not want to have a dysfunctional, illiterate father in my child's life.

imo, better to have a single functional parent than two dysfunctional parents. i think welfare recipients should be forced to make sure their children do decently in school and to work for their benefits, even if t means cleaning parks, etc

This is done already. It?s been in place for nearly two decades. It?s called Workfare. The end result is below minimum wages for workers.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 16:35
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The stepfather of the Jersey City police officer who was shot dead early this morning slowly walked down his street this afternoon in tears surrounded by friends, as neighbors offered their heartfelt condolences.

"He was an angel," said Alex McBride, the stepfather of Melvin Santiago, the 23-year-old officer who was killed early this morning at a Walgreens parking lot while responding to a reported armed robbery.

"God took my angel from me this morning," McBride said. "I can't speak."

Jersey Journal

Posted on: 2014/7/14 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Authorities are currently searching for a murder suspect with connections to the felon who shot and killed Jersey City Police Officer Melvin Santiago yesterday morning, officials said.
Lawrence Campbell, the man police say fatally shot the 23-year-old officer, was wanted in a murder. A named Daniel Wilson is also wanted in the same murder, Mayor Steven Fulop said at a press conference yesterday.

More

Posted on: 2014/7/14 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Raising property taxes and hiring more cops does NOT equate to a better and safer city (if the current defunct system is not changed).

Please do not blindly advocate higher property taxes, thinking that it would solve all the problems.

Our family is already up to our necks paying our ever increasing property taxes (now almost doubling since owning our condo for 8 years), AND paying for private school for our two kids since the public schools here are so lacking.

Quote:

JerseyCityConcerns wrote:
Why is the city proud about cutting property taxes when crime at all levels continues to ruin this city?

That killer should have been found and locked up before this horrendous killing happened.

Take back the tax cuts and hire more cops!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2014/7/14 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
it is not just a question of having a black father or a father present....i would not want to have a dysfunctional, illiterate father in my child's life.

imo, better to have a single functional parent than two dysfunctional parents. i think welfare recipients should be forced to make sure their children do decently in school and to work for their benefits, even if t means cleaning parks, etc

Posted on: 2014/7/14 3:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/4 17:20
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Why is the city proud about cutting property taxes when crime at all levels continues to ruin this city?

That killer should have been found and locked up before this horrendous killing happened.

Take back the tax cuts and hire more cops!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2014/7/14 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously the rehabilitation programs in our PRIVATELY OWNED prisons aren't working - they need to be reviewed also!

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:57
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
There's a Lawrence Campbell noted in the NJ Inmate search database that matches the age of the suspect from Hudson County. I don't want to post the information and photo in case this isn't the suspect. If this is the suspect, pay particular attention to the offenses and the jail terms served vs. the mandatory sentences.

Yeah, that's him.

Here goes:

Was currently:
Wanted for murder in Jersey City along with associate Danial Wison

Convicted on the following:
1 count of :
2C:35-7*3 CDS/Distribute Drugs On School Proprty/3
February 18, 2011
Hudson
10-07-01299-I
33 Months - min sent.
5 Years - max sent.

1 count of :
February 18, 2011
Hudson
10-11-01972-I
33 Months - min sent.
5 Years - max sent.

1 count of :
August 17, 2013
Hudson
PV-10-07-01299-I
171 Days - max sent.

Actual Time Served:

February 18, 2011 to June 25, 2013 - 858 days
This is equal to 2 years, 4 months, and 7 days.

August 17, 2013 to January 21, 2014 - 157 days
This is equal to 5 months and 4 days.

Another example of our "revolving door" justice system at work. That's the problem, coddling criminals. The people who think the problem is "too much" freedom or 24 hour convenience stores are idiots.

The answer is to make it harder to get bail, and to keep these scumbags locked up. Not to restrict the freedoms of ordinary folks.

Coddling? His prior convictions related to selling drugs not violent crimes. How long would you put someone away for selling drugs?

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
What a tragic waste of life. My deepest condolences to the family of the slain officer. Perhaps they should close the 24 hr walgreens in that neighborhood. I don't see the point of having something available 24/7.

The point is so people can purchase something at any point in the day. Not every person in JC works ordinary hours and pharmacy goods are pretty important.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
With close to 75% of black kids being born to unwed mothers, lacking a moral compass from the family unit-you're going to blame the NRA and Fortune 500 companies?

This is a big part of the problem, yet no one wants to talk about it. 75% of these kids have the deck stacked against them at birth. Why can't we have a campaign encouraging black fathers to stay with their family?

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We have some seriously sick people out there if they think killing a cop was to bring them fame - We need a serious review of our mental health programs in this City, State and Country.

Its a lot of bullets from one security guards handgun !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:20

Edited by fat-ass-bike on 2014/7/14 2:38:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Perhaps they should close the 24 hr walgreens in that neighborhood. I don't see the point of having something available 24/7.

Why? Because you don't live there? Please... That store has been open for 24hrs for the last 15 years and nothing like this has ever happened. They should keep it open and more stores through out the city should be open 24 hrs..

There weren't any calls to close the A1-Deli.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

asny10011 wrote:
Perhaps they should close the 24 hr walgreens in that neighborhood. I don't see the point of having something available 24/7.

Why? Because you don't live there? Please... That store has been open for 24hrs for the last 15 years and nothing like this has ever happened. They should keep it open and more stores through out the city should be open 24 hrs..

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
What a tragic waste of life. My deepest condolences to the family of the slain officer. Perhaps they should close the 24 hr walgreens in that neighborhood. I don't see the point of having something available 24/7.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
maybe the welfare state needs to be seriously reformed...i wonder why i still see young girls with multiple babies and who pays - the taxpayer

Ask them. It's not the NRA or multi-national corporations.

Posted on: 2014/7/14 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
maybe the welfare state needs to be seriously reformed...i wonder why i still see young girls with multiple babies and who pays - the taxpayer

Posted on: 2014/7/14 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:...but when are we going to put an equal amount of effort and dollars into the proper prosecution and incarceration of the career thugs that are wreaking havoc in our city? When will we put some teeth into our juvenile system instead of releasing hardcore teens back into the community with a slap on the wrist?

What message are we sending when we give more concern to the criminals than the good citizens of the city?

You are putting our elected officials and leaders between a rock and a hard place - if not actually in an untenable situation.

Crimes like this, both here and in other cities such as NYC, Chicago, Paterson, etc., are concentrated in neighborhoods that both have historically been disenfranchised and have similar socio-economic and racial/ethnic demographics.

A real role of elected officials, community leaders, etc. is to offer hope, consolation, and to give people in these communities the sense someone is looking out for their interests in difficult times. I don't think they are looking out more for the criminals in their midst, rather they do what they can do.

The work ahead to benefit all good citizens is hard, and will entail goring a lot of oxen - by which I mean if you are going to crack down on Black and Hispanic youth, you are also going to have to rein in the NRA, corporations outsourcing all our good jobs, etc.

Stop with the inane comments; the thug at Walgreens stole the gun from the freaking security guard, who probably had to undergo many levels of investigation to be able to carry. And name me one company that left Greenville or the West Side by deciding to outsource good jobs from the area.

Instead, focus on personal responsibility and the welfare state created in the Great Society push in the 60's by Democrats. With close to 75% of black kids being born to unwed mothers, lacking a moral compass from the family unit-you're going to blame the NRA and Fortune 500 companies?

Posted on: 2014/7/14 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2014/7/14 0:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Was this an orchestrated ambush?
----------------------------------------------------------

Scene of fatal shooting of Jersey City Police Officer Santiago brings about questions

Hudson Reporter
Link

JERSEY CITY -- Witnesses from nearby residences say more than one suspect were involved at the Sunday morning shooting of Jersey City Police Officer Melvin Santiago.

?They had snipers on the roof of the store,? said a neighborhood who did not want her name used. ?Police were everywhere and they were looking for someone else.?

A statement issued by the Office of the Mayor said the police are looking for two other suspects in connection with another murder, but did not say they were related to this shooting.

But police sources said this shooting may have been orchestrated with someone else making the call to say that a burglary was underway.

Three police vehicles were struck in a spray of bullets during a gun battle with Lawrence Campbell, who allegedly shot Santiago.

Also on the scene on Sunday were the Jersey City Fire Department Hazardous Material Team and a vehicle from the Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security.

For our earlier report, see links below.

Firefighters were seen washing down the sidewalk in front of the store after the vehicles had been towed away.

Pictured here are investigators from the Jersey City Police Department and others.

Neighbors said they were woken in the early morning hours by the army of police that swarmed over the rooftops of nearby buildings with a Jersey City SWAT team mounted on the green tile roof of the Walgreens.

Later, portions of Communipaw Avenue and Kennedy Boulevard within a block of the shooting scene were closed to traffic, causing backups on local streets including West Side Avenue.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 22:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Resized Image

This pic says it all, priceless. JC needs to step it up!!!!

Not much can be done in this situation. The guy was a nut and determined to kill and be killed...

Still got to ask why 2 marked police cruisers were first on scene, when there had already been 2 armed robberies in the area in the prior 2 days. Along with the ongoing manhunt for the suspects...

Like I said, I believe they have bad policing techniques.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Resized Image

Not much can be done in this situation. The guy was a nut and determined to kill and be killed...

Still got to ask why 2 marked police cruisers were first on scene, when there had already been 2 armed robberies in the area in the prior 2 days. Along with the ongoing manhunt for the suspects...

Posted on: 2014/7/13 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Keep bickering politicians - keep accusing each other of malfeasance - while the bodies continue to pile up in our city.

ENOUGH!

----------------------------------------------------

Jersey City police officer killed at Walgreens in line of duty: reports

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/natio ... e-1.1864902#ixzz37LnEge00

A Jersey City police officer was fatally shot outside of a local Walgreens, it was reported Sunday.

Officer Melvin Santiago was killed responding to an armed robbery, according to news reports.

A security guard is being treated for his injuries. Police officers were seen lined up outside of the emergency room where Santiago was taken.

Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop was scheduled to hold a news conference outside of the Jersey City Medical Center on Sunday.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/natio ... e-1.1864902#ixzz37LmO5R45

-----------------------------

More:

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WPVI) -- A Jersey City police officer was shot and killed early Sunday morning while responding to a robbery at a 24-hour Walgreens store, WABC reports.

It happened shortly after 4:00 a.m. at the store on Communipaw Avenue and JFK Boulevard West.

The officer has been identified as Melvin Santiago.

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop tells WABC, Officer Santiago was shot in the head by a gunman who beat up an armed security guard inside the store and took his weapon.

Officer Santiago was driving the first police cruiser that responded to the crime scene.

The gunman was shot and killed by other officers at the scene.

No customers were injured.

Link

First, my sincerest condolences to Officer Santiago's family, friends & brothers/sisters in blue. The entire city loses when one of our brave responders is taken from us.

That being said, what can we do? More gun laws? We have enough gun laws but the very people who are committing the crimes aren't reading them & have little regard for them. More officers on the streets? That only works to a degree. Why? Because their presence can only act as a deterrent. Those hellbent on committing some atrocity will do so regardless of how much blue is on the steet. If we could get into the mind we would then know the answer.

A possible solution. All businesses closed by 1am or whatever time. Why is a place with overpriced goods & drugs open at 4am? This is begging for trouble. Same with 24 hour gas stations, they are real easy marks. When I was growing up, in Jersey City, there were no stores that I can recall other than bars being open past 9 or 10 pm. Everyone was closed by 1pm or 2pm on a Sunday. So how do you solve the problem of a medical situation that required a prescription being filled? Your doctor made a phone call & found out which pharmacy in your area was on call. (This is when doctor's made house calls) Or you could make a call & find out. You then went to that pharmacy, which appeared closed & got what you needed. This is how I remember, the pharmacies took turns being on call. I remember 3 - Jersey Drug, Central Drug & Lenzi's.

Does it fix everything? No, but it may slow it down.

Once again, my condolences.
The store curfew thing was tried in 2004 and crime actually went up immediately after. Robberies went up and murder hit the highest level since the 80s back in 2005. Was that the only reason crime went up no, but it played a role and had no negative effect at all what so ever on crime in JC.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
Quote:
There's a Lawrence Campbell noted in the NJ Inmate search database that matches the age of the suspect from Hudson County. I don't want to post the information and photo in case this isn't the suspect. If this is the suspect, pay particular attention to the offenses and the jail terms served vs. the mandatory sentences.

Yeah, that's him.

Here goes:

Was currently:

1 count of :
February 18, 2011
Hudson
10-07-01299-I
33 Months - min sent.
5 Years - max sent.

1 count of :
February 18, 2011
Hudson
10-11-01972-I
33 Months - min sent.
5 Years - max sent.

1 count of :
August 17, 2013
Hudson
PV-10-07-01299-I
171 Days - max sent.

Actual Time Served:

Another example of our "revolving door" justice system at work. That's the problem, coddling criminals. The people who think the problem is "too much" freedom or 24 hour convenience stores are idiots.

The answer is to make it harder to get bail, and to keep these scumbags locked up. Not to restrict the freedoms of ordinary folks.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yeah, that's him.

Here goes:

Was currently:

1 count of :
February 18, 2011
Hudson
10-07-01299-I
33 Months - min sent.
5 Years - max sent.

1 count of :
February 18, 2011
Hudson
10-11-01972-I
33 Months - min sent.
5 Years - max sent.

1 count of :
August 17, 2013
Hudson
PV-10-07-01299-I
171 Days - max sent.

Actual Time Served:

Posted on: 2014/7/13 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
please lets not blame the teachers....there is only so much that teachers can do and if you worked with many of these problem children, you might realize this.

perhaps the welfare system needs to be turned on its head...perhaps sterilzation should be required to get benefits, perhaps felons should be offered chance of sterilization.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Can I add that I went to school with a lot of these people and had to endure classes with kids with issues. Please PLEASE get a bootcamp in jersey city. Nip this in the bud. These murderers are bred from young. No fathers, no money, downtrodden, no teachers that care or get help for them. Angry young people are dangerous. Young people that have had no love, in turn love no one.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
these felons should be locked away for 50 years....enuff is enuff. and yes, these felons would be harshly dealt with it.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
My condolences to the Santiago family. I really feel for them and the fact that this young life was cut short. I hope that Mayor Fulop and the JCPD figure out what they are going to do with Bergen Lafayette and Greenville. We have been dealing with the riff raff for 40 years. The cops have to get them off the street. We are terrified to walk our own streets. We need community involvement. Downtown Jc is great to live while up a little further we have to deal with all of this. Now we lost another innocent person because we just can't seem to get this area cleaned up....how much longer to we have to deal with this???

Posted on: 2014/7/13 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Resized Image

Not much can be done in this situation. The guy was a nut and determined to kill and be killed. I never blamed Healy for the murders that occurred as much as I blamed bad policing at the time. The Officer DiNardo murder was senseless in my view as those officers should never have been storming that apartment. This murder was unpreventable unless we get more people to "snitch" and get the fugitive scumbags off the streets. Stop and Frisk and more road-stops would do wonders if done in force.

Posted on: 2014/7/13 17:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017