Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City priest falls hundreds of feet to his death.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
12/12 0:04
Group:
Registered Users

Rev. Robert Cormier, In Memoriam

factus sum infirmis infirmus ut infirmos lucri facerem omnibus omnia factus sum ut omnes facerem salvos

To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
2Cor. 19:22

Fr. Cormier was a remarkable priest. He spoke many languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Ancient Greek, Latin). He had published many books on theology and spirituality that evidenced a creative almost idiosyncratic take on the Faith- but which, at bottom expressed a zeal to bring the Good News to the world. He was a diocesan priest though, I anyway on first meeting, thought for sure he was a Jesuit. Sort of a chip off the old Theilhard de Chardin.

He arrived in the Bergen Lafayette section of Jersey City only about two years ago, becoming pastor of the now combined parishes of St. Patrick's, Assumption, and All Saints. He took his liturgical role very seriously but also made himself available to the community on a personal level- whether stopping in to visit the nuns at their convent on Pacific Avenue or stopping to chat on the street. He was a common sight on the streets of the neighborhood as he walked from church to church in all kinds of weather to offer the Holy Sacrifice for our good and the good of all His Holy Church.

He had also been active in the social ministry, being a driving force, for example, behind Project Live, an affordable housing initiative in Newark.

Reports are that Mt. Hood was the last on his bucket list of mountains to climb. (He said as much on his Facebook page, the implication being that he figured that at age 57, he should set his sights on less challenging things). He made the trip with two high school friends. That Fr. Bob would have maintained such close friendships over the years is no surprise.

Strange as it seems to the initiated, the safest time to reach the summit of Mt. Hood is in May, making the final ascent in the middle of the night by moonlight. So this was a very carefully planned trip. His friends, however, encountered difficulties on the final stretch. Fr. Bob went on alone. There is some small solace in knowing that he had made it to the summit of the mountain. There were others at the summit too. Perhaps Fr. Bob had moved off to the side to survey the expanse laid out below under the surreal moonlight.

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork . 2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. 3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard . 4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, 5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. 6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof. 7

There on that precipice, in the sight of the Lord, Fr. Robert Cormier was taken as the ice ledge suddenly and without warning gave way as he fell into the dark void. Fr. Robert, feared no void, however, for he was the Lord?s. Miserere ei domine, Requiscat in pacem et lux perpetua ei luceat.

Pray, please, for his soul- that the Lord in his great mercy will say unto him: "Well done my good and faithful servant....Come and share thy master's happiness." And pray for his mother and sister who survive him and especially for his friends who had accompanied him on that trip until nearly the end.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 16:08

Jersey City priest falls hundreds of feet to his death.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY --The Rev. Robert J. Cormier, a Jersey City priest known for his multi-cultural ministry in Hudson County and beyond, was reported having fallen to his death during a climb up Mount Hood in Oregon on May 13.

The 57-year old priest, who was ordained in 1982, spent a significant time in Hudson County, where he was celebrated for his efforts to bring diverse communities together.

He reportedly fell from the summit on the north side of Mount Hood about 8 a.m. on May 13, which was reported by a climber not in his group.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Jersey City priest who died on Mt Hood is credited with bringing diverse communities together

Posted on: 2014/5/15 5:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017