Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

library services
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
with the new administration and city council's seeming willingness to expand spending, it would be nice if the city would revisit and restore (and even expand) some of the library (main and branch) services and hours.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 14:07

Re: Cooked in Library
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I certainly have a lot of issues with the JC Library, In fact if you look at my posting history you will find I have something negative to say about the system at least once a year, the place is a mess. But I have to say in their defence that every library requires I.D. to get a card, its a logical and universal policy

Posted on: 2014/2/10 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
> After the library, did you also go rent some vhs tapes?

Actually, I think the library does rent VHS tapes!

Robin.

Do they have any movies on Beta? Heh... couldn't resist that one. :)

I think I still have my JC library card, couldn't tell you how I got it, it was ten years ago, I don't think it was too hard though. I might have checked out a total of 3 books my entire time here in JC. Now I just buy books online for dirt cheap and donate them to the book sales later on. I never was all that impressed but given all the budget cuts those libraries have suffered, I guess it is understandable.

Perhaps I'm just too swept up in the digital age and have forgotten how important libraries are, especially to those who don't have internet and a Netflix subscription. The JC libraries need to find a way to replace some of their lost funds. Public libraries in some small towns are opening coffee shops or cafes as part of the facility, much like you see at a Barnes & Noble. I don't know how much extra money these cafes bring in, but it's something... perhaps JC could get into the act.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcgurl wrote:
Since your municipal taxes fund the library (mostly), I think it's totally fair to provide proof of residency. Just bring a PSE&G bill and an ID. A small price to pay for so many free services!

Bingo. What's the big deal about proving you're a JC resident to use JC taxpayer funded services?? And it's not a price at all, right? If you can show you're a resident it's free.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Since your municipal taxes fund the library (mostly), I think it's totally fair to provide proof of residency. Just bring a PSE&G bill and an ID. A small price to pay for so many free services!

Posted on: 2014/2/10 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In some states it's easier to register to vote than to get a library card in JC. How stupid is that?

Not as stupid as Todd Akin saying this, "If it?s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Do you need ID to keep the health plan and doctor you like?

Posted on: 2014/2/10 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
In some states it's easier to register to vote than to get a library card in JC. How stupid is that?

Not as stupid as Todd Akin saying this, "If it?s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Nah, it's pretty much just as stupid if not more.

Posted on: 2014/2/10 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2014/2/9 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/9 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> After the library, did you also go rent some vhs tapes?

Actually, I think the library does rent VHS tapes!

Robin.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I've been to the library many times and staff were always available to assist. My experiences have been totally different from yours.

Sometimes, it's nice to just drop in to check out new books. Lately, I've been using their online library of audiobooks and listen to them on Overdrive while going to work. Great free resource.

It's true that you need an ID as well as a bill with your name on it.

Quote:

wrensdad wrote:
I stopped by the library on Jersey Ave for the first time today.

I've tried before but they were always closed due to holidays, weather, or Sunday.

I saw 4-5 staff and 2 parents each with a child.

Didn't last long. It was over 80 degrees in the kids section. The thermostat in the middle of the room far away from the heaters was set to 75.

Than I tried to get a library card. Seems you need a drivers license and recent bill! It's a library card not a secure document like a passport. Btw in NYC you just need a drivers license.

Staff was too busy clipping coupons to help.

Went online to find a comments or email address. Nope. Feedback isn't welcome I guess (gotta have time for coupons).

Fulop! More expenditure cuts here!

Left and went to the Word book store. Friendly staff, normal temp, nice selection, and busy. Can't wait to come back.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
I qualify for a NYPL library card, because of my academic affiliation. The system is wonderful. I gave up on JCPL years ago. The New Amsterdam Branch and the Battery Park City Branch are both close to the WTC PATH Station.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wrensdad wrote:

I've tried before but they were always closed due to holidays, weather, or Sunday.

Didn't last long. It was over 80 degrees in the kids section. The thermostat in the middle of the room far away from the heaters was set to 75.

Than I tried to get a library card. Seems you need a drivers license and recent bill! It's a library card not a secure document like a passport. Btw in NYC you just need a drivers license.

Went online to find a comments or email address. Nope. Feedback isn't welcome I guess (gotta have time for coupons).

Left and went to the Word book store. Friendly staff, normal temp, nice selection, and busy. Can't wait to come back.

After the library, did you also go rent some vhs tapes?

Posted on: 2014/2/9 17:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like the OP is also peeved that the library is not open all the time. I know that at the height of the recession, library funding was cut and furlough days led to intermittent library closures. If anything, we should be calling on our legislators to fund libraries more fully so residents have more access to library resources. Word bookstore with its (by nature) limited inventory is no substitute for the vast inter-library loan network, and many other resources provided by the library.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
To the OP, I don't think cutting funding is going to improve your library experience. JC is lucky to have a thriving library system. Some cities have lost their free libraries (Erie County in NY for example went bankrupt and residents now have to rely on poorly managed private membership libraries).

I've lived many places and always had a card at the local library. I find the JCPL to be an average public library. I also have NYPL card and you have to provide more than your driver's license to get a card and you have to renew your card ever few years, just as at JCPL.

I've always found the staff at the JCPL very helpful (every branch I've used)! I agree that their website could use a revamp. But the onus is on you to find out what you need to apply for a card before you visit.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 16:20

Re: Looked in Library
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped in yesterday as well to borrow a book. I was told that the card I presented was one that I had lost (and obviously found again) and that my current card, with a different number from the old, had also expired. I had a letter from my son's college addressed to me and my driver's license with me and was allowed to check out my book -- with a request that I try to find my more recent card. They were quite accommodating.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
A drivers license and a recent bill? How absurd of them to verify your residence!

You went to their website AFTER your visit to the library.
Maybe you should have went to the website BEFORE your visit.

http://www.jclibrary.org/resources/jcfpl-library-card

Quote:
You can obtain a card at the Main Library at 472 Jersey Avenue or at any of our branches. If you wish to prepare in advance, you may click on the Library Card Application highlighted below to print out the application form, then bring your competed application to the Jersey City Free Public Library with the appropriate documents as detailed below.

Residents of Jersey City:
Anyone high school age or above must show the following documents:
? A photo ID (such as driver?s license, school or work ID, current passport)
? Proof that you live in Jersey City, sent to you at your current Jersey City address through the mail within the past 30 days (such as a current gas/electric or water bill, medical statement, bank or credit card statement, postmarked handwritten envelope, mailing to a current PO Box, computer generated bills or other legitimate mail).
? The following are NOT acceptable as proof of address: leases or junk mail.

It's disgusting that you cry "FULOP" because of your own incompetence.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, it sounds to me like they expected your actual address to be the one listed on your driver's license.
When I moved out of NYC, I found that I could get a library card for the NYC library, but since I wasn't a resident, I had to prove that I worked in NY, and provide them with my previous year's tax return, showing I paid city taxes.
I don't think I provided the Jersey City Library with anything but my NJ driver's license when I got a card here, but of course, but of course it confirms me as a resident.
The library has been an important resource to the community over the years. It is quite well used, and I've always found the staff helpful.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds like you expect better from government run institutions such as the public library. That's surprising.

Posted on: 2014/2/9 12:36

Cooked in Library
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/22 17:13
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/9 11:28

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017