Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
86 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 86

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Another clerical error @ BOE. What's it going to cost the taxpayer??
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/27 14:10
Group:
Registered Users
Apologies got side tracked. For the amount of money we are spending in school we are proudly ranked #401 (http://www.schooldigger.com/go/NJ/cityrank.aspx). For a BOE that has has an operating budget of $661 million for 2012-2013 one cannot believe in a clerical error. How come there are no checks and balances and people to verify things?

I will give credit to where its due. The news article also states that the BOE did try to work it out with Bank of America but was told nothing from BoA could be done until the next day. So someone did catch the error and try to rectify.

However, I still have to wonder. At our workplace our accounting division goes crazy on us should we not submit our expense reports on time. But of course this is a public institution so hold it to a different yardstick.

Posted on: 2013/11/16 23:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And another thing, last administration was trying to bond $9 million and we were convinced by everyone that it was a bad idea. The bonding failed and after the elections were over our property taxes went up. Then I hear that city council just approved the $9 million bonding so now do we get our increased taxes reset? (http://hudsonreporter.com/bookmark/24 ... etirement-bond-font-i-br-)

Because it seems to me that the our taxes went up because we did not get the 9.5 million bond and then taxes went up and then we bond too. & our council prez that I support and voted for says he now has more faith that's why he supported the bonding?

Posted on: 2013/11/16 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
That was not exactly a clerical error. The board, based on the advice of it's business administer, raised the tax levy by 2% based on her incorrect understanding of the law.

Posted on: 2013/11/16 22:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The issue I have is not about "once in a blue moon". The issue I have is after the whole $4 million mess it seems that no one has ever learnt anything?

If your workplace made an error with your paycheck would you let it slide? But since it is a public entity ... give them a break right? It's a public entity that implies it is my money - my property taxes and my state taxes.

Since there is no hue and cry about the abatements given out last week, it is me who is on the hook because I don't live in an abated property and every year it is my taxes that are going up.

Posted on: 2013/11/16 22:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
BOE sets property tax levies in an error (http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... omplicates-upcoming-vote/)

Quoting from the article -
The state?s position legitimates resident/watchdog Riaz Wahid?s request that the school board freeze property taxes after a spate of annual increases, just as neighboring Union City has proposed. Wahid has complained of cumulative school tax increases of 39.9 percent since 2005. Yet Vespucci did verify that, for the three school years beginning in 2008-09, state law did mandate former Abbott districts such as Jersey City increase tax levies by certain percentages.

The current proposed budget would increase the tax levy by $2.1 million to $106.4 million. Last year under a similar false premise, the board again approved raising the levy to the cap. For 2011-12, it climbed by $2.05 million, standing at the current $104.4 million minimum.
End quote

Posted on: 2013/11/16 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
preeeeeeeeeeeetty sure a clerical error once in a blue moon doesn't mean that one should fire everyone and hire an outside company.

secondly, where/what is this 4+million you're referring to?

Posted on: 2013/11/16 21:14

Another clerical error @ BOE. What's it going to cost the taxpayer??
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Clerical error in BOE - How will it impact the tax payers? (http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... o_get_p.html#incart_river)

Cause:

"The school district sent employees a memo Thursday saying that, because of a clerical error, paychecks due yesterday won?t be ready until today. The mistake only affects teachers who receive their checks via direct deposit, not those who receive paper checks, said district spokeswoman Maryann Dickar."

Possible Outcome:

"JCEA President Ron Greco said yesterday that his office received more than 100 calls over the late checks. Greco said he hopes the district will make some arrangements to handle possible overdraft fees for employees who had automatic bill payments set up assuming they?d get paid today."

Points to Ponder:
Should the district make the arrangement how are they going to pay? Oh that's right the district gets funded on the backs of JC property owners and NJ taxpayers. Sure make the arrangement it's not like its coming out of your pocket right?

First a clerical error gets us $4+ million in additional property taxes and then this ... If they can't get their house in order there is a suggestion (the "O" word) - Outsource :)

Posted on: 2013/11/16 16:35

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017