Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Smoking would be banned from Jersey City parks under councilman's plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Impressive. We?ve gone from allowing smoking on airplanes to banning smoking on the very edge of the continent... from asinine to asinine in 20 years.

You're free to smoke in private. Not sure why you think you're free to smoke in public areas that others share.

There's no genuine reason in terms of pollutant generation to officially ban the act of smoking at the beach of all places. I do not personally enjoy smoking at the beach, but I object to legislation for its own sake, and in this case, the irony is that it amounts to a selfish refusal to share the world. It's the flip side to the stupidity of allowing smoking in confined spaces.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for banning smoking from buildings, restaurants, out-door eating areas and where people congregate (eg. bus, train and light-rail stops including anywhere underground or with a roof / shelter), but parks is a bit much ... I'd rather see very high fines ($1000 plus) for cigarette litter in Parks - the risk of fire and environmental damage and danger to animals eating the butts is too great.

Posted on: 2014/2/22 9:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Do you smokers throw your lit cigs on your
floors at your houses are on your stoops and
driveways or just on the sidewalks and streets
outside of your home?

Nice thing about the parks law is that someone dropping a butt can be ticketed twice - for smoking AND littering.

Yes, if they get caught doing it and the police bother to issue the tickets. Don't hold your breath on that one. If this ordinance reduces the number of cigarette butts we see around the city parks, that's great, but I'm not counting on it. Just a waste of time by the city council and a resume-padding opportunity for Lavarro and other politicians, who should be focused on other more important things, like passing a budget and trying to reduce the city's expenses.

Supposedly there was a law against smoking in New York City parks until the courts overturned it last fall (I think the litigation is still going on). Doesn't matter - when the ban was in effect, people still smoked in the parks and the cigarette butts still littered the ground, even with police around in close proximity.

Like I put in another post, it's one of those "discretionary" laws - if people aren't being jerks about it, no reason to issue tickets. IMO it falls into the same category as no cycling/ skateboarding/ ballplaying...

Posted on: 2014/2/22 0:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
outside of your home?

Nice thing about the parks law is that someone dropping a butt can be ticketed twice - for smoking AND littering.

Yes, if they get caught doing it and the police bother to issue the tickets. Don't hold your breath on that one. If this ordinance reduces the number of cigarette butts we see around the city parks, that's great, but I'm not counting on it. Just a waste of time by the city council and a resume-padding opportunity for Lavarro and other politicians, who should be focused on other more important things, like passing a budget and trying to reduce the city's expenses.

Supposedly there was a law against smoking in New York City parks until the courts overturned it last fall (I think the litigation is still going on). Doesn't matter - when the ban was in effect, people still smoked in the parks and the cigarette butts still littered the ground, even with police around in close proximity.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
By doesn't affect you in the slightest I mean it affects you no more than the car exhaust you breathe in walking down the street and likely much less than that. I personally think most perfume smells really bad. The person farting next to me on the PATH also smells. Should those be banned?

Any studies on the harmful affects of second hand smoke have been done in enclosed spaces with concentrations many thousands of times what you would ever encounter in an open public space.

Plan on banning soda to curb obesity, a much larger public health problem, and everyone is beside themselves. Ban smoking in the park so precious Tyler and Madison don't have to have a 2 second whiff of an unpleasant smell and everyone applauds.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Yup, just an easy resume padder for the politicians involved. Very easy to pass laws that only negatively affect the ~20% of society that smokes. Another opportunity for all the non-smokers to pat themselves on the back for further demonizing a habit that doesn't affect them in the slightest.

I'm not demonizing smoking.. I just don't want to breathe in your smoke. We all have vices.. but when I eat fro-yo in public, it doesn't affect you.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Yup, just an easy resume padder for the politicians involved. Very easy to pass laws that only negatively affect the ~20% of society that smokes. Another opportunity for all the non-smokers to pat themselves on the back for further demonizing a habit that doesn't affect them in the slightest.

Doesn't affect them in the slightest ? Whoa.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
outside of your home?

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
outside of your home?

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's another "don't be a jerk" law, designed to be selectively enforced at the discretion of local law enforcement. Annoy folks with your smoking and you can expect a ticket. A quiet smoke in a remote area of a park won't trip any alarms.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
Good. Ban it everywhere. Or come up with
helmets that the smokers would wear. The
carcinogens would only circulate around and
into their bodies. Then they can go to a central
discharge station and plug their helmets in where
the carcinogens get sucked out and becomes
vapor. Ah to dream...

I'm not a smoker, so this ban doesn't really impact me. But, I agree this is just political grand standing, which probably isn't contributing much. I

If you want smokers to go to a discharge station, then agree to deposit your cars exhaust there as well. Thanks.

Don't own one.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
vapor. Ah to dream...

I'm not a smoker, so this ban doesn't really impact me. But, I agree this is just political grand standing, which probably isn't contributing much. I

If you want smokers to go to a discharge station, then agree to deposit your cars exhaust there as well. Thanks.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
vapor. Ah to dream...

Posted on: 2014/2/21 19:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am a closeted smoker and have a smoke about 3 x a month, I do it in back alleyways. I am too embarrassed for folks to see me.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 19:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Impressive. We?ve gone from allowing smoking on airplanes to banning smoking on the very edge of the continent... from asinine to asinine in 20 years.

You're free to smoke in private. Not sure why you think you're free to smoke in public areas that others share.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Smokers bother me all the time. Even when I'm walking on the street, I hate it to walk behind or just pass a smoker. It would be really nice to be able to enjoy the clean air in the park.

I agree, but I don't think passing this law is going to do much to change that. A law is meaningless if it can't be enforced. I think it will be about as successful as the Prohibition, except for the fact that Lavarro will have something to say on his re-election campaign. And no, I have nothing against Lavarro either, might have even voted for him (can't remember who my at-large choices were on the ballot), I just think there are better uses of the city council's time.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Smokers bother me all the time. Even when I'm walking on the street, I hate it to walk behind or just pass a smoker. It would be really nice to be able to enjoy the clean air in the park.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't smoke and never have, but I really think this is all about a councilmember grandstanding and trying to add an achievement to his resume so Lavarro can brag about it when he runs for higher office (or reelection).

People smoking in the parks never bothered me. If this law actually gets enforced and we see far fewer cigarette butts laying around in the parks, and the cost of cleaning the parks is reduced because of that, great. If not, this was a total waste of the city council's time when there are MUCH bigger fish to fry, like passing the city's budget.

Posted on: 2014/2/21 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/2/21 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A bill that would ban smoking in public parks and beaches across the state has been approved by an Assembly panel.

Angelica Jimenez, D-West New York, and Valerie Vainieri Huttle, D-Bergen, co-sponsors, said the bill, released today by the Assembly Tourism and Gaming Committee, is aimed at protecting public health.
"It's clearly in the public interest to expand the law prohibiting smoking in all enclosed indoor places of public access and workplaces to all public parks and beaches," Jimenez said in a news release. "This is a common-sense approach to maintain the beauty and pristine quality of our parks and beaches while also protecting public health. We're all better off if we get this done."

More on JJ

Posted on: 2014/2/20 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City council adopts ban on smoking in public parks

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jersey City will join eight other Hudson County municipalities in prohibiting smoking from public parks, with the City Council voting unanimously tonight to approve the ban.

The measure was forwarded by Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro, himself a smoker.

E-cigarettes had been part of a previous draft of the ban, but they weren?t included in the version adopted tonight.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/10/10 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
I think they should ban smoking on airplanes and in NYC bars but that will never happen!

Posted on: 2013/9/26 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
There are a couple of residences near Hamilton Park that have dozens of cigarette butts scattered about the sidewalk. One of them is 168 Coles Street, a multi-unit dwelling. I also have to say that there is something terrifying about living in a building with smokers. Especially smokers that drink and that often comes hand in hand. I can recall at least one fire death near Hamilton Park which occurred about 15 or so year ago in the massive, multi-unit building which borders the park on the north side. Guy passed out, cigarette ignited a fire and he died. In any case, it would be nice if buildings provided butt cans for their residents.

Print and discretely post into mail box - Could help work on their conscience if done over a few days !

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/25 23:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/2/6 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
City Council advances smoking ban

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

A smoking ban in Jersey City parks is one step closer to adoption, with the City Council voting unanimously tonight to introduce the measure.

The bill, which requires one more vote before it becomes law, bans smoking in all of the city?s nearly 70 parks and recreational areas. E-cigarettes, which had been part of the ban in a previous draft, are no longer included.

READ MORE

Posted on: 2013/9/25 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
If people don't know well enough not to drop their butts all over, I doubt provision of butt cans is going to do the trick. I've seen people stub out cigs on the sidewalk and then carry the butts to the trash. If you have a mind to do it, you can. More concerning is the guy sitting at the bagel store on Jersey tossing a lit butt behind him and missing me by two inches -- not even looking.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
There are a couple of residences near Hamilton Park that have dozens of cigarette butts scattered about the sidewalk. One of them is 168 Coles Street, a multi-unit dwelling. I also have to say that there is something terrifying about living in a building with smokers. Especially smokers that drink and that often comes hand in hand. I can recall at least one fire death near Hamilton Park which occurred about 15 or so year ago in the massive, multi-unit building which borders the park on the north side. Guy passed out, cigarette ignited a fire and he died. In any case, it would be nice if buildings provided butt cans for their residents.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
We should also do what Fort Lee did, ban use of cell phones for everything but talking while walking. I think this is a little bit of government overstepping its boundaries.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Stop hijacking threads for your pet topics.

Quote:

john1952 wrote:
You are right Yvonne. The Council is clueless. We gave Fulop his Council in the hopes of cutting spending, but instead it is about unchecked spending. Replacing one set of idiots with another even worse.

Still no word on the property reval. I guess if he plays Bloomberg lite with stuff like this smoking ban he thinks we will forget about it all.

Banning e-cigarettes. Come on. We going to be the butt of late night tv again.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I didn't say it wasn't, but I am annoyed that the council had no idea until I mentioned it two weeks ago about the estimated bills. After I made my comment, Lavarro questioned the acting B.A. That is when the acting B.A. said the city sent out estimated bills. Did the city get the permission of the council? No. This council talked about the budget, not about smoking or even sick days during the campaign. Let them keep their campaign promises. It shouldn't be a member of the public (me) informing the council that the administration sent out the first half 2014 without council approval.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 14:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/19 22:32
Group:
Banned
You are right Yvonne. The Council is clueless. We gave Fulop his Council in the hopes of cutting spending, but instead it is about unchecked spending. Replacing one set of idiots with another even worse.

Still no word on the property reval. I guess if he plays Bloomberg lite with stuff like this smoking ban he thinks we will forget about it all.

Banning e-cigarettes. Come on. We going to be the butt of late night tv again.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I didn't say it wasn't, but I am annoyed that the council had no idea until I mentioned it two weeks ago about the estimated bills. After I made my comment, Lavarro questioned the acting B.A. That is when the acting B.A. said the city sent out estimated bills. Did the city get the permission of the council? No. This council talked about the budget, not about smoking or even sick days during the campaign. Let them keep their campaign promises. It shouldn't be a member of the public (me) informing the council that the administration sent out the first half 2014 without council approval.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 14:15

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017