Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
136 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 136

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bring Back the TRADITIONAL GARBAGE CANS!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
I would be happy with garbage cans period. I live over by Torico's and the garbage in the blocks around it there is disgusting. There is no can in front of their storefront, which would really be the neighborly thing for them to do, but regardless, there used to be a can on Erie and First across the street from the shop and it is no longer there. Besides the trash from Torico's, the streets are filthy. There has been a large dead goldfish on a tree root on Manila between First and Second for two weeks now.

I'm in your neighborhood. There is sometimes a can in front of Torico's, but usually, their patrons use my planters. Good times.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
Another thing to bring back which might also be helpful would be...shame. Set some decent standards and everyone should abide by them. If you see someone dropping trash on the street; call them out on it. I am so damned tired of people acting like animals (pigs). And that especially goes for the dirtbags who let their dogs crap on the streets and sidewalks and do not clean up after them. They are total scum.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
We used to have two barrel planters on the curb right in front of our building. Over the years, it's just been nonstop trash in them (beer cans even!). It was so disgusting that the condo association decided to remove them recently, and now our building front looks a lot more presentable.

Some people just don't care.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I'll add another voice in the chorus for wanting more trash cans of any kind.

There are so few on the side streets in downtown, that people just throw shiat in yards, sidewalks and gutters. There's hardly a cheaper thing that the city could do that would improve the quality of life more than seeing less trash on the ground.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I would be happy with garbage cans period. I live over by Torico's and the garbage in the blocks around it there is disgusting. There is no can in front of their storefront, which would really be the neighborly thing for them to do, but regardless, there used to be a can on Erie and First across the street from the shop and it is no longer there. Besides the trash from Torico's, the streets are filthy. There has been a large dead goldfish on a tree root on Manila between First and Second for two weeks now.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Prismatic wrote:
So we're complaining about trash cans now?

yes. yes we are.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
So we're complaining about trash cans now?

Posted on: 2013/8/3 15:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/19 0:13
Group:
Registered Users
I live in the new york ave palisade and webster area. The trash in my opinion is due to the people in this area just not caring. There is nothing hard about holding on to your garbage till you reach a can or home to to toss it. Take a walk to central , summit ave , congress area you dont see as much garbage . This area is infested with drug deals and crack heads. No one cares. Good example a few months ago i saw a guy eating a spare rib talking to friends on palisade and just tossed his Chinese leftovers into the middle of the street . The sad part he was actually leaning on one of those solar trash cans .I have been here over 10 years and just when it seems to get better notha!. Get rid of the bums and things will change. I get really annoyed when i can walk 5 blocks out of my area and it's not as bad.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 3:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/23 15:01
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I would be happy to see any type of garbage can up here, top side, in the gritty-city, on the 'other side' of Ferris Bueller High.

Maybe the good folks in the pretty-city could send those fandangle solar powered digital whoflungdung trash compactors over here?

Not that I imagine it will make too much difference in a place where a sizeable chunk of the population live by the creed "the world is my trash can", who also happen to be the same segment of society who also believe "the world is my living room" - which is more than a little concerning...

But I do commend Fulop for getting stuck in and promoting and expanding the Stop The Drop initiative. Glad to see a political figure leading through action rather the rhetoric like some other people I know who run the country ;)

Posted on: 2013/8/3 1:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/12 3:28
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with whats been stated so far... but another big issue is the privately contracted WM garbage collecters that collect the trash in JC. Half of the garbage on our streets is from the sloppy handling of them emptying the trash cans. I have witnessed this many times being stuck behind them as they collected. I mentioned to the guy collecting and his response was " Not my neihborhood" I would call the JC incinerator authority and log in the complaints. That way it brings attention to the problem and hopefully, with the shake up in city services, it can be addresssed properly.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
It all comes down to money... fewer cans / fewer collections and with these solar cans even fewer collections... think it also had to do with people illegally dumping their "house or business garbage" into them. I was always curious about how those solar cans came to be in Jersey City... they suddenly popped up on my street, was it a bid or no bid contract? how are they maintained etc.......

Posted on: 2013/8/2 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:
Their replacement by the solar cans has been an absolute failure of epic proportions. The majority of people are indifferent towards them, and dare I say, some people are even afraid of them. They have not and never will work.

What are people afraid of exactly? Why is being indifferent towards a trash can a problem? Are people really going "Huh, they changed the trash cans, I'm going to protest and throw my shit on the ground instead"?

The point about decrease in # of cans is fair - maybe there could be both solar and old school cans.

I feel like this sort of feedback happens whenever there is a change. Weren't there complaints about the meters changing from individual ones to the system where it's one machine for all the meters on the block? My sense is that people adapted to that, and that's a bigger change than a trash can with a different kind of opening.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 15:13

Bring Back the TRADITIONAL GARBAGE CANS!!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/1 15:38
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This letter is in reference to the removal of the traditional garbage cans from nearly every corner of Jersey City Heights.

Their replacement by the solar cans has been an absolute failure of epic proportions. The majority of people are indifferent towards them, and dare I say, some people are even afraid of them. They have not and never will work.

City garbage cans are about QUANTITY. Not quality. Placing one solar can every 3 or 4 blocks to replace 6 to 8 traditional cans is foolish. People walking from one corner to the next need a place to put their garbage. No one is walking back to a solar can to dispose of their garbage. It is just being dumped on the street.

As a 25 years resident of the Heights I have never seen this city, especially the Heights, so filthy. Walk down Palisades Ave., New York Ave., Webster Ave., and Ferry St. and you will be appalled. The streets are enveloped with liter and the cause of all this began with the removal of the traditional cans. People are just dumping there garbage on the street because there is nowhere to put it.

In contrast, all you have to do is drive another mile down the road to Union City and see the difference. Mayor Stack and his administration have garbage cans on EVERY corner of Union City and in most cases on BOTH sides of the street. The street in Union City are so clean, you could eat off them.
Up until 2 weeks ago when the Mayor started the Stop the Drop campaign, our streets were a disgrace.

I applaud Mayor Fulops Stop the Drop program. In just the few weeks it has been implemented, there has been great change in my Heights neighborhood. It?s a great start. Keep it on schedule, consistent and the good it brings to the neighborhood and the working kids is fantastic. With that said, we have to have the garbage cans returned.

I have never seen quality of life issues so ignored in my 25 years of living in the Heights as it was by the previous administration and Mayor Idiot. Fulop brings an air of hope and change that's already off to a good start.

It would be a better start if we could just get the old garbage cans back with a consistent pick up schedule.

It would be great to not have to get up EVERY Saturday morning and clean a 4 block radius around my house so my daughters don't have to wade through filth.

It would be great if my tax dollars, and their annual mind boggling increase, could put those garbage cans back on the corners.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017