Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Montgomery and Barrow -- If the disease won't kill you the medicine will
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Considering Mayor-Elect Fulop is still your Councilman, why not reach out to him & Councilwoman Elect Osbourne about this? I bet you'd get some help.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
or the giant holes that were sitting in the Exchange Place plaza (abut 6 of them) for two years, before the hurricane finally made someone fill them in...with plywood squares.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
You are completely right. It usually takes death or serious injury to get the city to react to dangerous situations. The classic example is that portable, blinking 25mph sign that they roll out every time there is a horrible car accident or a pedestrian is run down. Let us hope that a new administration will bring more accountability and more proactive city services.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 3:46

Montgomery and Barrow -- If the disease won't kill you the medicine will

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/27 2:49
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of months ago someone from the city (I assume the city) came down and slapped caution tape across the sidewalk where there's a broken concrete utility hole cover near the curb at the corner of Montgomery and Barrow.

A bit of a liability for the city and kind of dangerous.
I am sure they were very satisfied with their life-saving work.

The problem was that pedestrians had to then step out into the Montgomery Street race track to get around the tape.
This is a pretty well trafficked intersection. Pedestrians heading for the Grove Street PATH use this sidewalk as well as residents visiting Van Vorst Park. Commuters drive this way as a cut through to the Holland Tunnel and DT JC.

Kind of annoying but hey we are not dealing with the sharpest bunch here so let's not be too critical. Not yet anyway.

So after a week or so of nothing happening to fix the broken slab of concrete people began removing the offending tape.

They must of figured they are safer walking along a three-foot wide path of solid paving between the fence and the cracked utility hole cover than stepping out into traffic with the baby stroller and toddlers in tow. I guess most people are pretty capable of doing their own risk analysis.

Well two months later, nothing has been done and the concrete cover is now completely broken and sagging down, ready to drop a unsuspecting pedestrian into Satan's bottomless pit.

On Memorial Day Sunday the hit and run squad -- having ignored the worsening condition of the slab for two months --returned and taped across the sidewalk again -- again forcing moms and dads to push their strollers into the street.

If Jersey City wasn't the place I have come to love because of its pathetic government -- it would be pitiful.

Call me a whining Downtown yuppie/hipster or whatever, but since this is on my stretch of street I can't help being miffed at being reminded that my tax dollars are not be used in the best way possible.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 2:50

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017