Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
110 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Journal Square is NOT a Homeless Shelter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We should introduce a gentrification tax for all the displaced persons from rooming and boarding houses - A hub of charity organizations, welfare departments, health clinic and hygiene center could be built with temporary emergency accommodation - This hub could be built via the tax in an area away from the public and individuals that want to demonize the homeless and those with mental disorder.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 0:32
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Quote:

JCYC wrote:
The bathrooms are in the hallway (which I lovingly refer to as the Homeless Mall) as you are walking towards the Summit Ave exit - it's on the same ground level as the Hudson News.

I have been walking through the JSQ station twice a day, at least five days a week, for a handful of years now and can attest to the occasional nuisance of the homeless population. Although I have personally never been harassed by any of the homeless people (the self-styled Romeos in the neighborhood, however, are a different story) there have been more than enough arguments amongst themselves where I have asked the police in the station there to address the issue so that I can get through the doors unscathed.

I've spoken with the JCPD Community Response Team in the past about this very issue but frankly there's only so much that the police can (or will) do and it usually involves a lot of diligence on your part. At the very minimum you should file a report with them outlining your grievances, and any time you are harassed/threatened you should immediately walk over to the police station and tell them to do something about it. A solution isn't going to happen overnight, but I worked with one of the Response Team detectives to resolve a problem near my house and he worked with the city to get the job done in short order. Any task involving the city means that you have to be on your game and follow up repeatedly.

JCPD Community Response form (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://www.njjcpd.org

I would like to thank you for sharing the link with me. Yesterday I sent in a complaint, assuming it would be lost forever. To my surprise I was contact by an Officer toiday who is very concerned. He is meeting with me Thursday to get more information and will patrol the area to check out the problem. He is also going to be speaking with Port Authority Police about keeping them OFF the trains.

Even Teddy?

Posted on: 2013/6/5 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Sometimes. My roommate leaves around the time they unlock the bathrooms. She says every morning they hang outside and wait until the bathrooms are unlocked then they go "shower". Then they hang around inside and sleep by the bathrooms. I see them when I come home lounging inside the path station sprawled out all over the place with their bags of...whatever.

Maybe they're harassing you because you're annoying?

Oooh. Icky. Why do I have to see them?

Posted on: 2013/6/5 22:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/7 16:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I'm sorry for your troubles, but Journal Square is not a good place for a woman to live or walk around alone. Everybody I know has had problems there. It has many more years to go before it could be considered safe. Maybe the new mayor will change things, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Move downtown close to Grove St, Exchange Place or Newport if you want to live in peace.

yeah, your ignorance should not be bliss! People don't go to poor neighborhoods to rob other poor people. They go where they can mug people with money!

Posted on: 2013/6/5 22:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/7 16:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
I'm sorry for your troubles, but Journal Square is not a good place for a woman to live or walk around alone. Everybody I know has had problems there. It has many more years to go before it could be considered safe. Maybe the new mayor will change things, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Move downtown close to Grove St, Exchange Place or Newport if you want to live in peace.

Only somebody that's not from the city (or its surrounding area) would say that JSQ is not a safe neighborhood.

I grew up in Brooklyn and have lived in JSQ for 5 yrs. You don't really know crime from the days before gentrification!

I'm not trying to offend you. Just trying to explain that just because JSQ isn't a hipster neighborhood with rich, young professionals, doesn't make it an unsafe area.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 21:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/16 20:48
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe move to Manhattan? No homeless people there

Posted on: 2013/6/5 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Sometimes. My roommate leaves around the time they unlock the bathrooms. She says every morning they hang outside and wait until the bathrooms are unlocked then they go "shower". Then they hang around inside and sleep by the bathrooms. I see them when I come home lounging inside the path station sprawled out all over the place with their bags of...whatever.

Maybe they're harassing you because you're annoying?

Posted on: 2013/6/5 19:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 20:23
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/5 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Why didn't you say you were talking about the PATH station?? You're talking about the bums who hang out at the PATH station. Now I get it. There's a Journal Square Improvement District office located right there that you can also lodge a complaint with.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The21stMan wrote:
Yes, we should build a camp for the homeless!They are only standing in the way of progress anyway!

We can call it a "resettlement camp" and promise housing, food , jobs and "showers" to those who come along. In order to save money and to be more efficient, we can come and "pick up" the homeless and transport them in trains with cattle cars.

When the homeless reach their destination, we can take all their nasty clothes and belongings and give them new striped pajamas to wear after they have passed through the "showers".

We will separate the men from the women, and then separate those who can work from those who can't.The old, the disabled and the sick will be exterminated.

Jersey City will create a new department and call it the RSHA, with shiny new uniforms...we'll put cool lightning bolts on the collars (wow...cool dude!).

How soon we forget.....

Aaaaaand this thread is finished. Thanks, Godwin.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
So these homeless you're talking about, are they inside the bathroom?

Posted on: 2013/5/23 3:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/7 21:34
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, we should build a camp for the homeless!They are only standing in the way of progress anyway!

We can call it a "resettlement camp" and promise housing, food , jobs and "showers" to those who come along. In order to save money and to be more efficient, we can come and "pick up" the homeless and transport them in trains with cattle cars.

When the homeless reach their destination, we can take all their nasty clothes and belongings and give them new striped pajamas to wear after they have passed through the "showers".

We will separate the men from the women, and then separate those who can work from those who can't.The old, the disabled and the sick will be exterminated.

Jersey City will create a new department and call it the RSHA, with shiny new uniforms...we'll put cool lightning bolts on the collars (wow...cool dude!).

How soon we forget.....

Posted on: 2013/5/22 15:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCYC wrote:
The bathrooms are in the hallway (which I lovingly refer to as the Homeless Mall) as you are walking towards the Summit Ave exit - it's on the same ground level as the Hudson News.

I have been walking through the JSQ station twice a day, at least five days a week, for a handful of years now and can attest to the occasional nuisance of the homeless population. Although I have personally never been harassed by any of the homeless people (the self-styled Romeos in the neighborhood, however, are a different story) there have been more than enough arguments amongst themselves where I have asked the police in the station there to address the issue so that I can get through the doors unscathed.

I've spoken with the JCPD Community Response Team in the past about this very issue but frankly there's only so much that the police can (or will) do and it usually involves a lot of diligence on your part. At the very minimum you should file a report with them outlining your grievances, and any time you are harassed/threatened you should immediately walk over to the police station and tell them to do something about it. A solution isn't going to happen overnight, but I worked with one of the Response Team detectives to resolve a problem near my house and he worked with the city to get the job done in short order. Any task involving the city means that you have to be on your game and follow up repeatedly.

JCPD Community Response form (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://www.njjcpd.org

I would like to thank you for sharing the link with me. Yesterday I sent in a complaint, assuming it would be lost forever. To my surprise I was contact by an Officer today who is very concerned. He is meeting with me Thursday to get more information and will patrol the area to check out the problem. He is also going to be speaking with Port Authority Police about keeping them OFF the trains.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
We should build a camp for all the undesirable homeless people. We can round them up and send them off and maybe even put them to work. Then they can become productive members of society producing munitions.

I hear you ianmac47. It doesn't take much to whip-up a cause to get a city / community behind social cleansing ... when times get tough and instead of showing charity or a helping hand, the weak and minority groups get victimized as the root cause to quality of life issues instead of the cause and effect.

Posted on: 2013/5/21 0:59
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
We should build a camp for all the undesirable homeless people. We can round them up and send them off and maybe even put them to work. Then they can become productive members of society producing munitions.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 21:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Are you cute?

Good one! But I think she's not seeing it. I'm a little curious what bathroom she referred to in her original post. Do you think that bathroom where she's finding those liquor bottles and homeless people in that smells like a public bathroom is in her own house or would that be a public bathroom that she's hanging out in?

Good one? I guess I'm not getting it? Was there a joke there? I said JSQ smells like a pubic restroom, and it's in the restroom inside JSQ (you know, the only bathroom there) where I'm finding liquor bottles....well, airplane size liquor bottles....just gotta get that little taste I guess.

It was most definitely a joke. So where is this one bathroom in Journal Square that you frequent and get accosted by the homeless riff-raff so often? I want to make sure I avoid it.

Yes, it was a joke intended to point out that you don't need to be a homeless drunk to holler at a lady and it might even be warrented? And no, I'm not trying to find a date on JClist.
But seriously, stay safe and I hope it works out for you.

Thanks Mikey! The difference between being hollered at by a homeless drunk and any other regular, clothed, bathed, man is that I can handle men. I can be snappy and rude right back (if it's unwarranted). With homeless people, I can't. I don't know what drugs they are on and they are most likely drunk. I don't feel safe. That's the biggest difference is the feeling of being unsafe vs being annoyed. I'll take annoyed any day!

Posted on: 2013/5/20 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Are you cute?

Good one! But I think she's not seeing it. I'm a little curious what bathroom she referred to in her original post. Do you think that bathroom where she's finding those liquor bottles and homeless people in that smells like a public bathroom is in her own house or would that be a public bathroom that she's hanging out in?

Good one? I guess I'm not getting it? Was there a joke there? I said JSQ smells like a pubic restroom, and it's in the restroom inside JSQ (you know, the only bathroom there) where I'm finding liquor bottles....well, airplane size liquor bottles....just gotta get that little taste I guess.

It was most definitely a joke. So where is this one bathroom in Journal Square that you frequent and get accosted by the homeless riff-raff so often? I want to make sure I avoid it.

Yes, it was a joke intended to point out that you don't need to be a homeless drunk to holler at a lady and it might even be warrented? And no, I'm not trying to find a date on JClist.
But seriously, stay safe and I hope it works out for you.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 21:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCYC wrote:

This is great, thank you. Last night, my boyfriend came inside from smoking and said there were homeless people going through my garbage. This is just nuts! I will be doing all I can on my end to keep me and my roomies as safe as possible. There have been a lot of younger people moving to the area, I'm hoping that things turn around. It's not a bad place to live, and the community is wonderful, but the homeless people are out of control.

Posted on: 2013/5/20 21:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/20 14:49
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/20 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Are you cute?

Posted on: 2013/5/20 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Since the start of the year I have noticed an increase in homeless people inside of Journal Square. Though I am sympathetic to the needy, I don't allow it to put my safety at risk.

As a young woman living with two other young women, we are harassed regularly by homeless men, and have been threatened by homeless women. Nothing seems to be happening to stop the loitering, and JSQ continues to smell like a public restroom with empty liquor bottles in the bathroom and walkways.

What can be done to help this situation so all of JC will feel safe using the services we pay for?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Its a sign of the times, with little or no mental health programs, the blue collar manufacturing labor work force is being reduced by the day with companies actively seeking cheaper labor overseas.
The next time you look at the clothes you buy or any white goods, also look at where it was made. I bet 90 % of all our belongings and materialistic goods are made overseas.
Even our motoring industry is reducing and assembly of them is happening outside the U.S. - This is one reason China and India are going to be the next super powers and the U.S will suffer the same consequence as the Roman Empire.
This country will implode if the government doesn't step in, because we have less then 10% of people with a university graduation.
The genrification of our city is a direct cause for people ending up in our streets - The Nazi's did it to the Jews and set up ghettos, and here we are looking at ways to get these homeless people hidden or removed from society ... We haven't learnt a thing from history but made it an acceptable way to relocate and victimize a socioeconomic group instead of a religious one that icluded gypsies, the gay community and those with mental illness or disabilities.

I was with you up until the last paragraph, Godwin.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 7:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Since the start of the year I have noticed an increase in homeless people inside of Journal Square. Though I am sympathetic to the needy, I don't allow it to put my safety at risk.

As a young woman living with two other young women, we are harassed regularly by homeless men, and have been threatened by homeless women. Nothing seems to be happening to stop the loitering, and JSQ continues to smell like a public restroom with empty liquor bottles in the bathroom and walkways.

What can be done to help this situation so all of JC will feel safe using the services we pay for?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Its a sign of the times, with little or no mental health programs, the blue collar manufacturing labor work force is being reduced by the day with companies actively seeking cheaper labor overseas.
The next time you look at the clothes you buy or any white goods, also look at where it was made. I bet 90 % of all our belongings and materialistic goods are made overseas.
Even our motoring industry is reducing and assembly of them is happening outside the U.S. - This is one reason China and India are going to be the next super powers and the U.S will suffer the same consequence as the Roman Empire.
This country will implode if the government doesn't step in, because we have less then 10% of people with a university graduation.
The genrification of our city is a direct cause for people ending up in our streets - The Nazi's did it to the Jews and set up ghettos, and here we are looking at ways to get these homeless people hidden or removed from society ... We haven't learnt a thing from history but made it an acceptable way to relocate and victimize a socioeconomic group instead of a religious one that icluded gypsies, the gay community and those with mental illness or disabilities.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 5:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
If they really bother you just pepper spray them. I'm not sure though of the legality of different sprays in NJ. I think there is a limit on the percentage of Capsaicin in the formula. Quote:

AofEastSt wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Are you cute?

Is this a question because I'm being sexually harassed or are you trying to pick up chicks on a forum? Yes, some say I'm cute, which doesn't help in the lip smacking and "hey baby"s I get from the homeless men in JSQ 10 times a day.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 4:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I agree completely, if you give a homeless person a dime you are a class "A" SUCKER! You , I and your neighbor already give the homeless a ton of money through taxes. They can access anything they need...shelter, food, help with housing and job placement. This is all paid for already by everyone through income taxes and or property taxes. If you give them cash it is most likely used for drugs or alcohol. You think your doing good but your not at all.

Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
You can't institutionalize the mentally ill as one done in the past. So they just keep ending up back on the streets.

But you can put them in jail right? They are harassing people and I'm pretty sure the law doesn't allow for that. Plus, they are loitering.

This sympathy for the homeless is exactly why there are so many of them in JC. Able bodied individuals should not be begging on the streets. I feel like punching people who give to pan handlers

Posted on: 2013/5/19 4:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/19 3:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
Quote:
MikeyTBC wrote: Are you cute?

To the OP at least now you know one non-homeless person who has no class.

And Knowing is half the battle. ;)

LOL Still don't know if he was being serious... For his sake I hope not. Weak way to pick up someone.

chivalry?! ...silly me.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 3:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCCheerleader wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Are you cute?

Posted on: 2013/5/19 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
MikeyTBC wrote: Are you cute?

To the OP at least now you know one non-homeless person who has no class.

And Knowing is half the battle. ;)

Posted on: 2013/5/19 1:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Are you cute?

Posted on: 2013/5/19 0:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
You can't institutionalize the mentally ill as one done in the past. So they just keep ending up back on the streets.

But you can put them in jail right? They are harassing people and I'm pretty sure the law doesn't allow for that. Plus, they are loitering.

This sympathy for the homeless is exactly why there are so many of them in JC. Able bodied individuals should not be begging on the streets. I feel like punching people who give to pan handlers

Agreed. I called the police one time after being threatened to have my ass kicked for not giving someone 50 cents. The cop just said "ok we'll remove her". I'm assuming they tell them go to a new corner, because a week later she was back

Posted on: 2013/5/18 22:34

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017