Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Girl who lost prom dress in 4-alarm Jersey City fire gets help from community
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
This is one of the many reasons I love Jersey City. Great story.

Yes it is, there are some good people here.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 21:47

Re: Girl who lost prom dress in 4-alarm Jersey City fire gets help from community
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
This is one of the many reasons I love Jersey City. Great story.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 21:16

Girl who lost prom dress in 4-alarm Jersey City fire gets help from community
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
By Anthony J. Machcinski/The Jersey Journal
Resized Image

With the help of several community members, a girl who lost her prom dress in Wednesday's four-alarm fire on Belmont Avenue found a new dress and attended her junior prom last night.

"I started crying because I was really upset," said Danasia Johnson, 16, when she found out her home was involved in the fire. "I was really looking forward to (the prom), and had been planning for it for the longest time. Not being able to go really crushed my spirit."

Danasia's mother Tanisha Johnson, said that when she got home to see the damage to her building at 23 Belmont, she was concerned more about her children and how they would handle it.

"The fire didn't really hit me yet," Tanisha said. I was more worried about them and (Danasia's) special moment."

When Danasia's story made its way onto local television airwaves shortly after the fire Wednesday, several people stepped forward to make sure the County Prep student made it to her junior prom.

"A woman and her husband from Jackson came up here to bring her four dresses, but none of them fit," Tanisha said.

Soon after, Jersey City resident Angela McKnight told Tanisha that La Belle Boutique was willing to lend Danasia a dress for the special night.

When Tanisha and Danasia arrived at La Belle Boutique on Danforth Avenue, they found several dresses in Danasia's favorite color, purple.

"I didn't think anyone was going to be able to help so quickly," Danasia said. "It all happened so fast."

Tanisha added, "(Danasia) was overwhelmed with joy. Things like this happen all the time but when it affects you, it makes it real."

Along with the dress, local businesses and community members helped Danasia get her hair and nails done and a local flower shop supplied a corsage, all free of charge.

"All of them were awesome and I'm so thankful that they were willing to give," Tanisha said. "It takes a pure heart to give without thinking. It's truly a blessing."

Danasia added, "Being able to go to prom just brightened my week. Everyone was concerned about me not going, but everyone was really helpful."

Posted on: 2013/3/29 19:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017