Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Jersey City fire officials warn against use of spray-on sunscreen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City fire officials warn against use of spray-on sunscreen near open flames

June 22, 2012, 2:41 PM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal

A Jersey City fire official is warning residents about the possible danger of using alcohol-based spray-on sunscreen near an open flame after a Massachusetts man suffered second degree burns when his sunscreen ignited as he barbecued.

"Residents should exercise caution, especially now in the summer months when everyone is protecting themselves from the rays," Jersey City Fire Director Armando Roman said.

Roman said many people use sunscreen sprays rather than lotions because they are easy to apply, but "They should not be used when you are grilling food."

In late May Brett Sigworth applied Banana Boat Sport Performance spray before barbecuing, according to CBS Boston.

"I sprayed on the spray-on sunscreen, and then rubbed it on for a few seconds," CBS quoted Brett Sigworth of Stow, Mass. as saying. "I walked over to my grill, took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it just went up my arm."

Sigworth's girlfriend and friends put him out but he suffered second-degree burns around his chest, ear and back, corresponding to areas he had applied the sunscreen.

In a statement to CBS Boston, the sunscreen producer said "We are concerned to hear about Brett's experience ... At Banana Boat, we take these matters very seriously and will begin a prompt investigation as we continue to strive to deliver products of the highest quality to our customers."

Banana Boat Sport Performance spray-on sunscreen lists more than one type of alcohol as ingredients.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_fire_officials_war.html

Posted on: 2012/6/25 1:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017