Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
75 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Stop Signs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Erie street is probably the worst. I notice too the majority of people speeding & running stop signs are out of towner's not locals for what that's worth.
BTW, Fix Washington Street already. What a disgrace.

Please let us know what method you use to decphier the out of towners. Is it the license plates ?

Posted on: 2012/2/14 16:05
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Erie street is probably the worst. I notice too the majority of people speeding & running stop signs are out of towner's not locals for what that's worth.

BTW, Fix Washington Street already. What a disgrace.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
Team Healy does not care. They simply want traffic to flow in and out of JC as quickly as possible. They absolutely do not care about pedestrians or the tax payers that actually live and try to make a decent life here.
Downtown JC is by far the most dangerous city pedestrian environment I've ever seen and I've lived in a lot of big cities...

You would change your tune if you try to blow through the stop sign leading up to the turnpike entension on Merseles and Bright Street. For the longest time there was a cop stationed there giving ticket after ticket. I't hard not to stop because you want to generate speed on the ramp to try to beat the speeding vehicles on the merge.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 8:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The most un-respected stop sign in J.C. has to be the intersection of Lincoln St and Columbia Ave. up in the Heights. With a fire house, school, and pizza parlor near by you would think more attention would be focused there. The stop sign directs the flow of traffic going east & west on Lincoln St. which has an incline going east but flat going west. The incline causes drivers to keep the momentum going instead of a complete stop. I believe the stop signs are noticed more on the main drags as opposed to the side streets. I bet if a cop or city official were affected there would be instant enforcement on this issue.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 7:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Team Healy does not care. They simply want traffic to flow in and out of JC as quickly as possible. They absolutely do not care about pedestrians or the tax payers that actually live and try to make a decent life here.

Downtown JC is by far the most dangerous city pedestrian environment I've ever seen and I've lived in a lot of big cities...

Posted on: 2012/2/14 1:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
On the corner of Sixth & Coles there's a police stake~out approx one day/month and cops write ticket~after~ticket for a 2 hour window or so. I often think that they're given a quota of tickets to write and once free of the burden they're off on another assignment.

I've lived in Manhattan and never been as cautioned a pedestrian or driver as I am here. I've travelled all over the world and that statement still holds true ~ I know of several friends and neighbors who've been clipped by cars blowing through stop signs.

With the huge budget deficit that this city now faces an easy fix might be for the police to write tickets for an hour or so /day in key areas (i.e. anywhere on Marin Blvd and the streets running between JC & Hoboken).

In addition to raising revenue, we might even realize greater pedestrian safety.

Posted on: 2012/2/14 1:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

psychobilly999 wrote:
What can we as citizens do about this?

nothing

Posted on: 2012/2/13 18:51

Stop Signs
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/15 12:46
Group:
Registered Users
Why is it that people in this city feel that Stop signs do not apply to them. This includes Police, City vehicles, Jitney's and residential cars. The corner where I live has not one but two stop signs to alert you to stop, yet it is 99.99999% of the time ignored. The city and Police don't seem to care, in fact I watch the police sit on my corner and drink coffee while watching vehicle after vehicle blow the stop sign. Does anyone else have this problem or feel the same? What can we as citizens do about this?

Posted on: 2012/2/13 17:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017