Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Bumper Bully

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/28 19:48
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Do you have to clean the bumper bully ('bb') often, if yes, how often?

I've had mine for over a year, and I haven't cleaned it. It doesn't really hold dirt, since it's almost all rubber, aside from the dense foam material in the back of the bumper (I have the platinum). That said, I probably should give it a clean, just so that when I place things in my trunk, it won't get dirty from contact with the bb; but since the bb itself is black, I don't notice the dirt.

Quote:

Does the bb itself cause any scratches or abrasions to the bumper (by rubbing etc) just by being attached?

Not by just being attached and if the car is parked. Conceivably, if you have a lot of dirt buildup on the underside (the side that contacts against your bumper), and you decide to drive with it on...then whatever wind/driving conditions that cause your bb to flap up and down could result in grit rubbing against your paint. This is similar to logic for why many people don't use car bras on the front of their cars (dirt gets under the bra and rubs against the paint and the bra).

Other strategies like Grovepath's link, and using tow hitches also work, but those only cover a "head-on" hit. It won't help if the person is pulling out/in, and their corner contacts against your corner (hence the earlier tip about shifting your bumper way toward the street side).

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
GrovePath wrote: How about this little wonder!
see now that's actually pretty ingenious.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Linkin

Do you have to clean the bumper bully ('bb') often, if yes, how often?

Does the bb itself cause any scratches or abrasions to the bumper (by rubbing etc) just by being attached?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
How about this little wonder!

Posted on: 2012/1/9 17:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/28 19:48
From Newport
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who parks his car in a garage, I own one, and use it for the frequent occasions that I drive out into Manhattan.

I'd recommend the 'platinum' version of the bumper bully, b/c it does come with some foam padding. Ignoring most of the nay-sayers on this thread, the bumper bully does it's work, which is to prevent paint damage to your bumper. It takes no effort to tuck it back into your trunk w/o moving the straps, and lays flat while inside the trunk (i.e., does not take up any space). I chose it over other brands (e.g. bumper defender), b/c it actually seems to hold it's shape while on the bumper, instead of sagging. However, I wouldn't keep it deployed while driving, b/c that would cause abrasive damage to your bumper.

Another tip...when using it (and any other bumper guard), even though it doesn't cover the whole rear area, you realize you can reduce your area of impact by shifting it to cover the area further from the curb.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 17:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
My first car was a 1979 Chevy Monte Carlo. In those days cars had real bumpers. Then I bought my first Toyota in 1988. The car still had real bumpers on it. My next Toyota in 2002 had what every car has now - the painted bumper. I imagine car makers changed them because it is cheaper. Got many small dings and chips on it. In 2007 I moved and now have a spot in my parking garage. But the thing is - there is no getting around getting these dings if one parks on a street anyplace. I've seen cars on the streets with these bumper thingees hanging from the back - I suppose they do the job but boy do they look silly. I think it would be much better if cars had real bumpers again on them. New ways of doing things are not always better in our wonderful modern world. I wonder how much these new bumper guards cost too - just another expense.

WHY WOULD YOU POST THIS IF YOU DON'T OWN A BUMPER BULLY??? WTF?????? WHY ARE YOU RUINING THE INTERNET????

Posted on: 2012/1/9 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
My first car was a 1979 Chevy Monte Carlo. In those days cars had real bumpers. Then I bought my first Toyota in 1988. The car still had real bumpers on it. My next Toyota in 2002 had what every car has now - the painted bumper. I imagine car makers changed them because it is cheaper. Got many small dings and chips on it. In 2007 I moved and now have a spot in my parking garage. But the thing is - there is no getting around getting these dings if one parks on a street anyplace. I've seen cars on the streets with these bumper thingees hanging from the back - I suppose they do the job but boy do they look silly. I think it would be much better if cars had real bumpers again on them. New ways of doing things are not always better in our wonderful modern world. I wonder how much these new bumper guards cost too - just another expense.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Love the Fat Ass picture though !!!

Posted on: 2012/1/9 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, to my surprise, I have learned several things by posting a simple question to the people of Jersey City who own bumper bullies and badgers and the sort.

1. People like catdog (nice name) and ianmac and brewster HATE these products.

2. People like catdog (nice name) and ianmac and brewster HATE/DESPISE the people who own these products.

Please explain why you replied to the post if you do not own a bumper bully or badger. I know, first amendment. And I know, you THINK AND BELIEVE people out there in cyberspace REALLY CARE about your opinions about the product and the people who own the product, even though you don't own one, but felt so compelled to reply for the good of the community. Outstanding work. I applaud your good service to the people of this fine city.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 14:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
The red car in the first pic is great imagine coloring them the same color...ouch ! In addition, I have seen SUV's with bold chrome bumpers. Both pics though act as a deterrent.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
You're leaving it on the street where anything can happen. A scuffed bumper is the least of your worries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investope ... car-the-worst-investment/

That is quite possibly the stupidest article I have ever read. Equating buying a car to an investment? No one buys a car as an investment, they buy it as transportation.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 12:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
You're leaving it on the street where anything can happen. A scuffed bumper is the least of your worries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/investope ... car-the-worst-investment/

Posted on: 2012/1/9 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Resized Image

Resized Image
now that. that I can get behind. Well maybe not the first one, it's a little subtle and kinda evil. The second one looks baller.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 6:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Thanks Pink. All answers from people who actually own these things is extremely appreciated.

And I guess the comment on white shoes is from...someone who has white shoes, why else would you comment on something you do not have any experience with, so you must have white shoes and they must have been dirtied up.
you're gonna win awards with logic like that

Posted on: 2012/1/9 5:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/9 5:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/1/9 3:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Honestly. I have my own parking garage. But I know enough people that park on JC streets. Your biggest problem isn't going to be a bumper ding from other parking cars. Actually, JC folks are very considerate in that respect.

Where your car will get dinged and dented, and possibly totalled is:
1. Drunk drivers OR
2. Snow plows

A bumper bully is pretty useless in JC IMO.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Thanks Pink. All answers from people who actually own these things is extremely appreciated.

And I guess the comment on white shoes is from...someone who has white shoes, why else would you comment on something you do not have any experience with, so you must have white shoes and they must have been dirtied up.

What logic leads you to that? I assume the comment is from someone else who has been subjected to a tirade on a subway from someone sitting all slouched sticking their snow white sneakers into the middle of the packed train only to have someone (me & apparently Catdog) trip over them and --GOOD GOD!!!-- scuff them.

Both the parking and scuffing phenomena are examples of people insisting on brittle boundaries in a city where people are forced to live literally on top of each other. Some people are completely freaked out by hearing neighbors in their building. It ain't a good way to live with a chip on your shoulder just waiting to be inevitably knocked off. Folks like that walk around feeling angry all the time, and probably aren't cut out for city living.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/9 2:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
I have one for each of our cars and it does help with damage casued by people who are "parking challenged." Straps sturdy and we really don't need to maintain the bumper bully. Just be advised that that the far edges are not protected but its better than nothing. My $.02

Posted on: 2012/1/9 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Bumper mats are like a carte blanche invitation for other drivers to park without worrying about knocking into your car. If its between cutting close to the car behind you without a bumper and the car in front of you with a bumper, guess who is getting the hit?

I don't see how a bumper thing will invite other ppl to crash into your car. I certainly do not look at them and think "Gee, I can crash that car to my heart's content, goody for me!". Maybe people like you think that, but I would hope that most people wouldn't even think anything of it. I also am able to park my huge car without hitting the car in front and behind me, but that's just the way I roll.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
people with bumper bullies are the same kind of people that get upset when their white shoes get dirty.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry, but whenever I see those things I ask myself, isn't that what bumpers are for?

Posted on: 2012/1/9 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
brewster and ianmac, my post was for people who actually own these bumper bully or badger things, not for social commentary if I am from some place here or someplace there or if a hypothetical about if one car has one and the other does not, guess who will get hit, this is why this jclist can be a drag, because of people like you who feel better about themselves putting down the poster. Now, please post about the subject would be the polite and proper thing to do on a forum. It would be appreciated if the moderator would moderate too, because I do not see where these two replies were constructive to the content of the post.

I thank the other posters/replies and further constructive input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It seems to me that your original question was: "will the bumper bully protect my cars bumper."

And I think two of gave you helpful answers.

1. Bumper bully won't protect your bumper more than parking in a garage.

2. Putting the bumper bully on your bumper might actually get your bumper bumped more.

To me, both these pieces of information would be important for someone concerned about protecting the rubber bumper on their overprice automobile. I'm sorry that i hurt your feelings. I'm sure you deserve a trophy for participation.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I don't usually go this comment route, but if you can't handle a few taps to your bumper you probably shouldn't park your car anywhere on a city street, or get a less precious car. Parking by braille is a given. I can't believe how some people freak out at someone tapping their bumper.

And yeah, painted bumpers are a moronic idea likely from someone who lives in a suburb where they never, ever have to parallel park in a tight spot.

Brewster, lighten up. The OP is asking a question. If you don't like the question..ignore the thread.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 23:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
I don't usually go this comment route, but if you can't handle a few taps to your bumper you probably shouldn't park your car anywhere on a city street, or get a less precious car. Parking by braille is a given. I can't believe how some people freak out at someone tapping their bumper.

And yeah, painted bumpers are a moronic idea likely from someone who lives in a suburb where they never, ever have to parallel park in a tight spot.
seriously. Is keeping your bumper spotless and shining worth anything at all when it's covered with an ugly rubber mat? What the hell is the point of it?

Posted on: 2012/1/8 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
I am thinking of purchasing a bumper bully and want to see what other experience people of JC have who own a bumper bully or similar.

Straps good? Easy to steal? Does the bumper bully get dirty easily, maintenance, etc..any thoughts is appreciated.

These are great for sedan type of cars. Everyone that I know who owns it, swears by it. It's super easy to flip down when needed and flip up when it's not.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
brewster and ianmac, my post was for people who actually own these bumper bully or badger things, not for social commentary if I am from some place here or someplace there or if a hypothetical about if one car has one and the other does not, guess who will get hit, this is why this jclist can be a drag, because of people like you who feel better about themselves putting down the poster. Now, please post about the subject would be the polite and proper thing to do on a forum. It would be appreciated if the moderator would moderate too, because I do not see where these two replies were constructive to the content of the post.

I thank the other posters/replies and further constructive input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Bumper mats are like a carte blanche invitation for other drivers to park without worrying about knocking into your car. If its between cutting close to the car behind you without a bumper and the car in front of you with a bumper, guess who is getting the hit?

Posted on: 2012/1/8 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/8 21:50

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017