Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
155 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Average price for a 1 bedroom in downtown Jersey City?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/5 20:06
Group:
Registered Users
you should try jsq, better prices there. good luck.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of rat holes...I think rats will demand bigger holes/apartments as they get bigger. I think this one from Brooklyn probably needs a McMansion.

http://blackandbrownnews.com/front/3104201_story.php

(GRAPHIC PIC) Giant Rats Found at BK Public Housing Property. Health Risk.

August 15, 2011 by BBN Editors, Original Report
Marcyrat'.jpg

Photo: BlackandBrownNews.com (BBN)

.Giant sized rats have been found on the grounds and in a building of Marcy Houses - a sprawling, New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) property with more than 1,700 units located in the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn.

According to residents, vermin infestation is a long-standing battle at Marcy Houses. The recent sightings of extra-large wild rats, however, is a relatively new problem. The average length of an adult male wild rat is 10 inches and a body weight of 19 ounces. But a very large individual rat can reach 32 ounces. Still, rats weighing over 2.2 pounds are exceptional. The large rats found at Marcy Houses appear to be the size of either a large raccoon or possum.

marcy2
?In one day eight big size rats were killed,? said a Marcy Houses resident who declined to be named for fear of reprisal from city or property management. They were found in and around the buildings of the Nostrand-Myrtle avenue section of the property and have been seen on the playground. ?They come out at night and the daytime,? said another resident who also did not want to provide a name.

Even before the mega-rats appeared, residents say the infestation of average rats was a problem. One resident recently described a frantic scene in which rats began scrambling across the nearby playground: ?Adults had to grab children and run because a lot of rats came on the playground. The kids were screaming.?

?I moved here a year ago and thought it would be better for me and my kids than where we lived before,? said another resident, a mother of two children.

Some residents blame the general rat infestation on poor management at Marcy Houses, but also on some fellow residents who they say do not follow instructions to discard trash down chutes which are located on each floor. Instead, bags of trash are piled outside of the apartment buildings and brazen rats feast on the contents. But no one can explain the extraordinarily large wild rats that have appeared on the property.
marcy3

BBN spoke with an exterminator who based on the ears, tail, nose and feet of the rodent pictured above identified it as a wild rat; and explained that rodents grow that size when there is not targeted, sustained extermination treatment. The exterminator also said the white color is not unusual for rats. In addition to being a public nuisance, wild rats spread a range of diseases, creating a health risk for humans. (Read more about diseases wild rats cause).

Most residents on the property heard about the giant rats by word-of-mouth. They said they did not get a notice from property management warning them of the health risks.

NYCHA sent BBN an email response to our inquiry about the large size rats: ?The New York City Housing Authority treats its 334 properties for pests regularly through NYCHA licensed exterminators and contractors when necessary. NYCHA exterminators treat basements and adjoining ground areas periodically. Our contractor treated the basements and grounds at Marcy Houses for rodents during the period of June 10th through July 7th. NYCHA exterminators recently treated all basements and grounds at Marcy Houses on August 1st, 5th and 11th. When we treat our developments, notices are posted throughout the property.?

Marcy Houses is the community of public housing residents where music mogul Shawn Carter (AKA ?Jay-Z?) and rapper Memphis Bleek grew up.

S. Toomer reporting for BBN. And we thank our sources for bringing us this story.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 17:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
It's 50/50 finding a good apt without assistance of a broker. I'm actually putting mine up for rent and my broker is telling me that the rental market is doing better than trying to sell/buy. My unit is located in Hamilton park and his estimate for rent is 1,700 to 1,800 for a one bedroom (710 sf) completely renovated (kitchen updated 3 years ago with all stainless apps/bathroom last year) with parking spot in front of the park. I'm not listing it until I have a firm closing date for another unit (nor signing a lease until the deal is done).

Good luck with your search.

Posted on: 2011/8/26 3:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/2 16:16
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the advice! Do people find that you generally need to use a broker to find a good place in the area? We're looking to move Oct. 1st.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 23:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/25 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there - I actually have an apartment that is available for rent on September 1, on Jersey Ave right on Van Vorst Park, walking distance from Grove St path, that has its own designated parking spot in a locked lot right behind the building. The apartment is about 730 sq. ft., 1-bedroom (kitchen, bedroom, large living room, bathroom and a separate dining area) with high ceilings (I think 12 or 13 feet). Washer and dryer are in the building's basement. Pets are welcome.

The rent is $1,650 per month and 50/50 on the realtor fees. It is listed with DelForno Real Estate, being handled by Dana(dana@delfornorealestate.com). If you are interested, send her an email. Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 19:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
I think your price point is reasonable. For reference, I live in the Hamilton Park area (east side of the park, so the walk to either Newport or Grove is about 8-10 mins depending on your motor) and am getting $1500 for a 1BR in a brownstone/rowhouse. In decent shape, 700-750 sq ft, washer-dryer in the unit. Not a rat hole but nothing fancy either. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 19:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/26 15:07
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think it should be too bad to find one in that range, especially if you're OK not being in luxury.

I suggest maybe walking around. I've found some units have "For Rent" signs in their windows but never post to Craigslist. Good luck!

Posted on: 2011/8/25 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
One bedrooms in the downtown start at $1,000 and go up to $2,500.

The high rise towers and new developments tend to cost more.

Posted on: 2011/8/25 18:50

Average price for a 1 bedroom in downtown Jersey City?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/2 16:16
Group:
Registered Users
Hello, my husband and I are looking to move to downtown Jersey City from Brooklyn in the next month or two. I've checked out a few places so far, and I've been surprised that most of the rents for one bedrooms seem higher than what we currently pay in a really nice area of Brooklyn!

We'd like to find a one bedroom for around $1600. Is this possible? It would absolutely have to be walking distance to the Grove St. Path station. We'd be willing to go up in price a little if something like parking or a backyard/terrace were included.

I figure that the high rises are out at this price range, but does anyone have experience finding a place in this range in one of the older buildings? Do I just need to troll CL constantly, or is there another way to go about it? We'd consider paying a broker if the place were really great.

Thanks for your advice!

Posted on: 2011/8/25 18:47

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017