Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Sue Mack for Jersey City Council-At-Large
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/12 0:02
Group:
Registered Users
Bob, I respect your opinion & applaud your defense of your wife. I am not posting to attack Sue but simply to share my viewpoints consistent with the nature of this forum. I apologize if you or others misconstrue them as personal attacks; they aren't & it is not my intent. My question about her motivations is exactly that -- a question. She has years of service on her resume & yes, she should be proud of it, but why is she abandoning her BoE position at this crucial time when our school system is about to get a new superintendent? Reforming this city must be done on all fronts -- her experience & familiarity is needed at the BoE AND she worked to convince voters of that when she ran to win that seat. I would also like to add that in her years of service, I have had opportunities to meet her & the discussions we had inform my opinion.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 18:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/8 18:12
Group:
Registered Users
I am Sue Mack's husband.

I have been reading the posts regarding today's election and, for the most part, they have been of a postive nature. Most extol the qualifications of each candidate without engaging in negative attacks.

However, there are a few posters here who have decided to attack Sue. I take particular umbrage to the attacks of JC_SOS. To question Sue's 40 years of service to the people of Jersey City is not only unfair it's wrong and uninformed.

I have been married to Sue for 30 years and have personally observed all the good works she has done for people. Sue has performed these good works selflessly and has asked for nothing in return. For someone who clearly does not know Sue to question her motives and her honesty is not only disgraceful but shameful. And, of course, these attacks are done anonymously.

As some others have posted, it is often fruitless to have these arguments in a chat forum. But I felt I needed to answer and defend Sue. I hope those of you who haven't voted will vote for her.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 18:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To HCResident - That's exactly my sentiment. Sue Mack comes from the same mold as the politicians I would like out of office. Voting her in would give us a crony of the current "machine". She does not represent the change that will get Jersey City out of its muck. There is so much unrealized potential in this town & it?s primarily due to the dysfunction of our current leaders. It's time for real positive change, we need to wise up & ignore the empty rhetoric being offered by politicians like Sue. I urge folks to see Sue for what she really is -- if she cared enough for public service, she would not abandon her BoE position that she just won a few months ago. Her running in this election is suspect & I don't see that her real motivations -- whatever they may be -- will serve the public good.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 17:37

Re: Sue Mack robocalls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I have one major issue with Sue Mack's candidacy in this election. That is that I just voted for her in a School Board election in 2010 for a three year term.

When I cast my vote, I assumed she would be serving out the entire term. I'm a little upset in that I feel that I wasted a vote.

What happens to her School Board seat if she wins in this election. Who get's to fill that vacancy? How will this change the balance of power there? Was any of this ever considered?

We have good candidates running in this election and there was no need for her to throw her hat into the ring. If she wanted to "move up", the end of her term coincides with the 2013 election cycle. That, to me, is when she should have run.

I urge everyone to pass on Sue Mack at this time and let her fill out the term she ran for in 2010. That is what we elected her to do.

Posted on: 2011/11/8 14:19

Sue Mack robocalls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
I've been getting recorded calls from her campaign - in English and Spanish - every half hour since early afternoon.

Ms. Mack really knows how to win over a voter.

Anyone else getting phone-spammed?

Posted on: 2011/11/7 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
I tried. I searched everywhere on the internet. I couldn't find Sue talking anywhere on her agenda for JC. I found a lot of JC BOE members supporting her.

The issue for me is that this isn't a BOE election. I dont want the Board of Education trying to run Jersey City. Jersey City has too many issues to be subservient to education and the JC BOE.

Sorry Sue - you should not be in this race.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 8:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_SOS wrote:
With all due respect to BoE President Sterling Waterman whom I supported, why is it a good idea for Sue Mack to abandon her Board of Ed seat which she won only months ago? She knew full well that the commitment with the BoE is three years AND she should have also been aware of the upcoming Special Election for the JC Council. She convinced voters that she is the right person for the BoE while all along planning a run for a seat on the Council? She has a track record as a multiple term member of the BoE where she seems effective, why leave it now during this critical period of change? The JC public school system is up for a new superintendent soon, Sue Mack's experience & familiarity there does a better service for our city in the long run. And it's not like she is desperately needed in this election -- there are a number of good candidates on Tuesday's ballot. Her running in this Special Election is suspect & I wonder what her real motivations are. Could it be that the BoE is an unpaid position while the Council draws a salary? That's just a guess on my part but certainly plausible. But if true, it is another reason -- a compelling one -- why she is not a good choice for JC's legislative body. We need progressive reform from the old lingering politics of Jersey City & I don?t see how Sue Mack offers that.

I agree. Sue Mack has offered nothing other than stuff in the rear view mirror. No vision. No voter interaction. No city leadership. No vote. Dan and Rich have my vote.

Posted on: 2011/11/5 0:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
With all due respect to BoE President Sterling Waterman whom I supported, why is it a good idea for Sue Mack to abandon her Board of Ed seat which she won only months ago? She knew full well that the commitment with the BoE is three years AND she should have also been aware of the upcoming Special Election for the JC Council. She convinced voters that she is the right person for the BoE while all along planning a run for a seat on the Council? She has a track record as a multiple term member of the BoE where she seems effective, why leave it now during this critical period of change? The JC public school system is up for a new superintendent soon, Sue Mack's experience & familiarity there does a better service for our city in the long run. And it's not like she is desperately needed in this election -- there are a number of good candidates on Tuesday's ballot. Her running in this Special Election is suspect & I wonder what her real motivations are. Could it be that the BoE is an unpaid position while the Council draws a salary? That's just a guess on my part but certainly plausible. But if true, it is another reason -- a compelling one -- why she is not a good choice for JC's legislative body. We need progressive reform from the old lingering politics of Jersey City & I don?t see how Sue Mack offers that.

Posted on: 2011/11/4 21:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/4 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Sue Mack for City Councilperson-At-Large video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB26Fy3Nvm4&feature=relmfu

Posted on: 2011/11/4 19:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am writing to endorse my good friend and fellow school board member Sue Mack for City Council at large. As some of you may already know, Sue is running under the campaign slogan "Making A Difference," which is what she truly does every day for our children and fair city.

I have known Sue for many years, toiled with her side by side and watched her meet the many challenges of our educational system. She fought hard and still continues to fight to make it better for our children and their parents. Her tireless leadership and knowledge has led us to an award-winning special education system and her care for the city as a whole is unmatched and unheralded. She is innovative and has a vision for our city and the leadership to get us back on track. I have the utmost confidence in Ms. Mack to make the right decisions for us on the City Council and continue "Making a Difference" for our city.

I ask you all to join me in voting for my colleague, friend and community leader on Nov. 8. Vote Sue Mack C-16 for City Council.

STERLING WATERMAN

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... rves_seat_on_council.html

Posted on: 2011/11/4 19:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
And if you've decided (as it looks to me) that it's not in your interest to respond to specifics, perhaps you should have taken out a banner ad.

Posted on: 2011/10/13 11:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/10/13 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sue

How to use social media lesson 1. If you post, engage.

Have a look at Rich's thread....

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... =&topic_id=25422&forum=11

Posted on: 2011/10/13 0:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Sue Mack's campaign manager/consultant . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIboqi_khV8

Posted on: 2011/10/12 19:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Sue Mack is a highly trained professional planner with a world of experience and a true record of accomplishment. "

In our neighborhood's experience with Sue Mack, she chose NOT to use her professional judgment as an urban planner but simply & blindly sided with the city supporters of a community center that was proposed in a residential zone where it is not permitted -- the Team Walker center. Sue Mack refused to listen to the neighbors' arguments that the city's land use regulations do not allow it, but instead she supported the center "regardless of location". It's disturbing to know that a "highly trained professional planner" could declare such a stance regarding land use matters. Her take on this issue suggested that she's a crony of the existing administration & would use her position to bow to the whims of people she favors, even if it means going against (trained) professional judgment, (inherent) logic and (personal) ethics.

Team Walker's center will eventually be built in an appropriately zoned lot within the same area, thanks to the many residents who fought tirelessly upstream to get the city to impose its own rules appropriately & fairly; the same group also facilitated for Team Walker to obtain a more accessible, already vacant, city-owned property resulting in a more efficient use of tax-supported resources & funds. Sue Mack could have positively weighed in on that struggle but her cronyism clouded her vision. Her getting in the Jersey City municipal council will NOT be good for those who truly want to reform this local government to better the city.

And she already has a position in the school board which she just fought for a few months ago. She ought to stay & fulfill the term she committed to do -- she already convinced voters that her experience is a benefit to that board. With the current composition of the school board, it seems that we can now anticipate reform for the schools, yet Sue Mack wants to compromise such critical dynamics.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Where does Sue stand on the Jersey Avenue Bridge to LSP?
City seals on city cars?
Incentives for developers to redevelop McGinley Sq., in light of the lack of success similar plans have had in Journal Sq.?

Posted on: 2011/10/12 2:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So Sue did stuff.

Any plan for the future, or just running on the "I did stuff in the past" platform?

Posted on: 2011/10/12 2:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One element of leadership is getting things done. And Sue Mack has an exemplary record in that regard. The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, the Transcend Program for seniors, acquiring the funding and participating in the planning for many new schools in Jersey City, advocating for the rights of special needs children and their parents in the Jersey City schools and insuring programs and services were available for them.

In addition, Sue has served on the advisory board of New Jersey Transit and has been an active participant with the North Jersey Transportaion Planning Authority. In her roles with these groups she has helped funnel millions of dollars to transportation projects in Jersey City and Hudson County.

Sue Mack is a highly trained professional planner with a world of experience and a true record of accomplishment. She is a doer and I think thats what leadership is all about. She would be an invaluable addition to the City Council.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 1:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ok. So Sue is from JC. Done stuff. Is "tireless", "understands the issues", "ready to assist" and "never waivered". What does any of that actually mean?

It just sounds like Sue will pedal hard and fast for her supporters. But where? What are her driving causes/agenda? What is she for and what is she against?

To me all I can see is a career local politician, that wants to take a step up to the next level of their own career without setting goals nor agenda, nor leading the way to help local folks better their lot. In the private world that's called a "jobsworth". "I've served, therefore I'm entitled". We hear you Sue.

Start showing some leadership and you might find votes.

Posted on: 2011/10/12 0:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jetsfanwink wrote:
Sue is alright, but I'm still voting for Richie Boggiano

You can vote for two candidates. I hope you do vote for Sue.

Posted on: 2011/10/11 18:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 13:29
Group:
Registered Users
Sue is alright, but I'm still voting for Richie Boggiano: http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... p?topic_id=25422&forum=11

Posted on: 2011/10/11 18:11

Sue Mack for Jersey City Council-At-Large

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please join us on November 8, 2011 in voting for Sue Mack for Council-At-Large.

Sue was born and raised in Jersey City. She attended St. Joseph?s Grammar School, St. Aloysius Academy High School and graduated from St. Peter?s College with a degree in Urban Studies.

Sue then served in the Peace Corps before returning to Jersey City to work as an urban planner. She has worked for Jersey City citizens as the Director of the City?s Traffic Division and the Director of the Jersey City Redevelopment Agency. She also served as Director of the Hudson County Transportation Management Association where she played a key role in the planning and building of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail System. Finally, Sue has worked for 15 years as a member of the elected Board of the Jersey City Board of Education.

Sue has been a tireless worker for Jersey City?s citizens. As a life-long Jersey City resident, she clearly understands the issues which face people in this City and she has made it her life?s work to help them. From always being ready to assist kids and parents in the Jersey City schools, to designing and implementing transportation systems for senior citizens (the Transcend Program), to rebuilding Jersey City?s neighborhoods, Sue has never wavered in her devotion to her community.

Again, please join us on November 8, 2011 in voting for Sue Mack for Council-At-Large, line 16C.

www.suemack.com

Posted on: 2011/10/11 18:06

Re: Sue Mack - Jersey City BOE veteran announces bid for at-large City Council seat
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
She is very much in Jersey City, I saw her yesterday.

Did she disclose her intention to run for council-at-large seat to Team Fulop's BoE candidates vetting committee ?

Posted on: 2011/7/13 13:24

Re: Sue Mack - Jersey City BOE veteran announces bid for at-large City Council seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
" Announcing via social media is nothing unusual these days. Everyone knows Suzanne's contributions to the Jersey City community. No red flags here."

With Nadia Lopez as my councilperson, I no longer want to see the word "Florida" in any news about the city council. Further, if I'm running for public office, I'm going to have both feet in the city in which I'm running, I'm not going to phone it in from someplace else. Also, the point about abandoning or intending to abandon her elected office at the BOE, regardless of how effective she has or has not been, is a god one. I have no respect for people that win an election and then abandon the responsibility THEY AKED TO BE GRANTED. Why should I trust such a person to stick to the job I'm potentially entrusting them with?

Posted on: 2011/7/13 13:18

Re: Jersey City BOE veteran announces bid for at-large City Council seat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

timeforchange wrote:
dtj,
Whatever it is, I am sure it is way more than Sean Connors, who is now running for the Assembly.

If there is any doubt for any BOE member's higher aspiration, it should be this guy. He has run for almost every office and hasn't done a damn thing for our schools.

Ms. Mack has helped put the Special Ed dept on the map and is still influential.

As a parent, I appreciate her and wish her luck.

I treat Sue Mack the same way as I would treat any candidate in a job interview. Her length of time in a job is meaningless - which she touts as her "experience". Seriously, what has Sue done to merit the post? Also, why ditch the BOE after such a short period of time after re-election? Were Sue's promises in the BOE election hollow? Why didn't Sue announce her intentions a few months ago and let someone more committed to the BOE to take the seat?

Sue was probably the weakest of the Fulop-backed candidates in the BOE elections. She's shown her hand fairly clearly - she didn't give a damn about the BOE.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
I see a red flag already in that -according to the article- she's calling this in from Florida. I would like to see the candidates take it seriously enough to be in the city when they announce they want to run.

Announcing via social media is nothing unusual these days. Everyone knows Suzanne's contributions to the Jersey City community. No red flags here.

Posted on: 2011/7/13 1:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
I see a red flag already in that -according to the article- she's calling this in from Florida. I would like to see the candidates take it seriously enough to be in the city when they announce they want to run.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

riazw wrote:
Since, you claim, she has the realistic chance of winning, does she have to quit her board seat?

Also, how did you get the numbers that she has a chance to win?

I don't think it's a stretch to say she has a realistic chance of winning. She's won six consecutive citywide elections. No one else who has announced so far has won one election - citywide or at the ward level. There are no "numbers" behind that, just common sense.

Yes, if she wins she would have to resign from the board of ed.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 19:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
Since, you claim, she has the realistic chance of winning, does she have to quit her board seat?

Also, how did you get the numbers that she has a chance to win?

Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Riaz - Sue stood at the candidate's forum at the Bethune center and declared in front of the other candidates as well as the 100+ residents in attendance that she was running with, and supporting, Carol Harrison-Arnold and Marvin Adames. She never sought the mayor's support nor did she embrace it. Could she have made a bigger show of rejecting it, sure. But in the end, it was clear where he allegiances were.

Be careful in tearing down the candidates. Sue is respected, a well-known name and has a realistic chance of winning. She'd certainly be a big improvement over the two rubber stamps sitting up there currently. With a large field that will likely get larger, the incumbents will have an advantage - particularly if the challengers are pitted against each other.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Riaz - Sue stood at the candidate's forum at the Bethune center and declared in front of the other candidates as well as the 100+ residents in attendance that she was running with, and supporting, Carol Harrison-Arnold and Marvin Adames. She never sought the mayor's support nor did she embrace it. Could she have made a bigger show of rejecting it, sure. But in the end, it was clear where he allegiances were.

Be careful in tearing down the candidates. Sue is respected, a well-known name and has a realistic chance of winning. She'd certainly be a big improvement over the two rubber stamps sitting up there currently. With a large field that will likely get larger, the incumbents will have an advantage - particularly if the challengers are pitted against each other.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 16:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017