Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JC gay couple to get married in New York

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/16 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations to the happy couple!

Posted on: 2011/7/19 21:41

JC gay couple to get married in New York
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hudson gay couple to get married in New York

Published: Monday, July 18, 2011, 3:01 AM
By Summer Dawn Hortillosa/The Jersey Journal

Resized Image
David Gibson, left, gets together with Rich Kiamco July 5 in the couple's Jersey City home. The two have been together for nearly eight years, and plan on getting married on Sept.30 in New York.

While preparing a tropical fruit salad, Jersey City graphic designer and self-described WASP David Gibson realizes how much his Filipino fiance, comedian Rich Kiamco, has taught him.

?Before, I was afraid of pineapples because I had no idea how to cut them but I learned from Rich and his mother,? said Gibson.

The recently engaged couple will have the rest of their lives to learn from each other after they get married in New York City on Sept. 30, taking advantage of New York?s recently-passed same-sex marriage law that takes effect Sunday.

?We have fun, we laugh a lot. It?s been a marvelous, joyful journey,? said Gibson.

?This wasn?t what I expected,? laughed Kiamco. ?I thought it wasn?t going to work, that it would be a plane crash but over time, who knew??

Since meeting nearly eight years ago, they have found ways to grow together.

?We both love old architecture. We both love to garden,? said Kiamco. ?We share a lot.?

To ensure their relationship runs smoothly, the two engaged in couples? therapy before moving into their Lincoln Park neighborhood home.

?We needed tools for working with each other and communicate instead of stomping off in the middle of dinner parties,? joked Kiamco.

Gibson agreed. ?It?s opened up channels and completely changed our relationship.?

As soon as New York legalized gay marriage, Gibson popped the question to Kiamco at Spice, the restaurant where they had their first date.

The rings one yellow, one blue were labeled with their nicknames ?BUNNY? (Kiamco) and ?BER? (Gibson).

Kiamco accepted and dove head-first into wedding plans, including booking the Landmark Loew?s Theatre for a reception.

The two said they will continue fighting for gay rights after their marriage.

?It?s the principle. It?s bigger than our personal life, it?s a bigger cause of human equality,? said Kiamco.

Both praised New York for its long progressive tradition and have hopes for a marriage equality law in New Jersey.

?I think there?s sort of a domino effect when a big state like New York pushes forward,? said Gibson. ?It?ll make New Jersey Democrats say, ?Maybe it?s not such a big deal.? ?

Posted on: 2011/7/18 11:14

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017