Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Map of Race and Ethnicity in NYC Area
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image
Just click image to enlarge image

"Red represents White, Blue is Black, Green is Asian, Orange is Hispanic, Gray is Other"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic ... merica.html#ixzz10u3BsG87

More:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157624812674967/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkings ... in/set-72157624812674967/

Posted on: 2010/9/29 7:57

Re: Demonstration of Jersey City's diversity
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 19:57
Group:
Banned
Quote:

teacher wrote:
I don't really see gentrification as a goal, but more as an occurrance. Then tolarance and acceptance(then friendship etc..), if both can relate. What the hell is wrong with white people?
Too many is bad? I don't get it?
What is wrong with Hoboken? No disgusting bogedas, no bullishit illiegal money exchange places, No bums/drug dealers outside Dunkin Donuts on Sat and Sun mornings.
Whoever set up this post is a racist against White people or very insecure.
Immigrants of yester-year wanted to be American! They gave up their home and language to be American. No different schools, press #2, no dual passports, no covered faces..etc.
Hard work and integration. Do any blacks say..to many blacks here...need some whites here, or Muslims saying we have too many, let me get some Catholics here?!

I see what your saying and how you may interpret anti gentrification as "hating white people". Speaking for myself who obviously dislikes gentrification in many aspects, I do not see it as a color issue at all, I mean after all I'm a white guy myself. I see it more as the attitudes that many(not all) carry with them. I like the Jersey City of old where people were rough around the edges but over all down to earth and real. Now we have people whether they be white black green or pink that belong on the cover of american gentrifier in JC?! of all places. Now you say whats wrong with that? Well then you just obviously just dont get it. Hoboken and Manhattan are perfect examples of once cool places now watered down suburbs for yuppies. Because thats essentially what they want , the city label with the suburban life.

Posted on: 2010/9/24 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
I don't really see gentrification as a goal, but more as an occurrance. Then tolarance and acceptance(then friendship etc..), if both can relate. What the hell is wrong with white people?
Too many is bad? I don't get it?
What is wrong with Hoboken? No disgusting bogedas, no bullishit illiegal money exchange places, No bums/drug dealers outside Dunkin Donuts on Sat and Sun mornings.
Whoever set up this post is a racist against White people or very insecure.
Immigrants of yester-year wanted to be American! They gave up their home and language to be American. No different schools, press #2, no dual passports, no covered faces..etc.
Hard work and integration. Do any blacks say..to many blacks here...need some whites here, or Muslims saying we have too many, let me get some Catholics here?!

Posted on: 2010/9/23 23:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Of course JC is culturally diverse as a whole, but from my observations, Downtown is the area where it's most noticeable that people of every color of the rainbow live amongst each other on the same blocks. In the other parts of JC (shall we call it, the "old JC"), you have all types of cultures, but you have the Indian neighborhoods, the black neighborhoods, the white neighborhoods, etc....it doesn't seem to be as intermingled on a block by block basis.

I'd like to hear the "haters of gentrification"'s thoughts on that.

Also, it is obvious that the map, while interesting, is old....I believe that Downtown is now majority white.

I'm not a hater of gentrification at least with Americans from different parts of the country you can have a mutual understanding. My thoughts on intermingling is hard because different cultures are hard to connect. Try talking to someone who is not Americanized the accents alone are a barrier. You can't joke around or get a solid opinion on a serious matter all you get is a smile or a yes. I heard of contracts being broken because it wasn't what they thought it was. Some different cultures walk in streets not on sidewalks, some tune out others even when given warnings for dangerous situations, some don't even know when they have been insulted or when they insult someone else especially when Americans are in the mix.
9-11 is a prime example. The old Jersey City was easy to understand we knew each other.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Also, it is obvious that the map, while interesting, is old....I believe that Downtown is now majority white.

That's a good point. Ten years is a long time. I don't know if downtown is majority white, but there have been a lot of large expensive buildings put up in the past decade. That alone would probably change the composition.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 14:41
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Quote:

That depends VERY MUCH on where you put the boundaries for "Downtown."

Posted on: 2010/9/23 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Well, it proves those fears about downtown JC becoming another Hoboken are unfounded (just look at that big red splotch north of JC). Wow.

JadedJC-

Keep in mind that the data points are from the census 10 years ago.

True. But I think JC remains one of the most diverse spots in the greater NYC area. I've seen more affluent people moving downtown the past decade or so, but the racial and ethnic diversity is still there. I can still tell which PATH train I've just missed at 23rd Street simply by looking at who's left on the platform.

True, although the differences have gotten more and more blurred over the past 5 years or so. But yeah ... the surefire way to determine what train you just missed is to look for Indian people....there are like 0 in Hoboken, and tons in JC.

Indian people like to live amongst each other sort of tribal. However there are Indians everywhere in little crevices of America and England. I heard one Indian wanted to buy MGM for billions, and others have their hand in businesses that touch our lives especially the computer industry they work for cheap. If it weren't for the Country of England and IBM & Bill Gates India would still be in poverty. Jersey City still has pockets of diversity people tend to stay in their own clicks. Associating with only their "own kind" such as clubs, groups, interests, jobs, food, entertainment, and neighborhoods. I only notice the Jersey City that I dwell in ignoring other aspects of town. We all want to be with our own...cut of cloth it's the way we were raised.

Of course JC is culturally diverse as a whole, but from my observations, Downtown is the area where it's most noticeable that people of every color of the rainbow live amongst each other on the same blocks. In the other parts of JC (shall we call it, the "old JC"), you have all types of cultures, but you have the Indian neighborhoods, the black neighborhoods, the white neighborhoods, etc....it doesn't seem to be as intermingled on a block by block basis.

I'd like to hear the "haters of gentrification"'s thoughts on that.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 16:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/14 1:55
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
So now I get to be identified by TWO colors? Oh Boy! *gleeful*

Would that be double racism, or do they cancel each other out?

Lemme get my color wheel out.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Well, it proves those fears about downtown JC becoming another Hoboken are unfounded (just look at that big red splotch north of JC). Wow.

JadedJC-

True. But I think JC remains one of the most diverse spots in the greater NYC area. I've seen more affluent people moving downtown the past decade or so, but the racial and ethnic diversity is still there. I can still tell which PATH train I've just missed at 23rd Street simply by looking at who's left on the platform.

True, although the differences have gotten more and more blurred over the past 5 years or so. But yeah ... the surefire way to determine what train you just missed is to look for Indian people....there are like 0 in Hoboken, and tons in JC.

Indian people like to live amongst each other sort of tribal. However there are Indians everywhere in little crevices of America and England. I heard one Indian wanted to buy MGM for billions, and others have their hand in businesses that touch our lives especially the computer industry they work for cheap. If it weren't for the Country of England and IBM & Bill Gates India would still be in poverty. Jersey City still has pockets of diversity people tend to stay in their own clicks. Associating with only their "own kind" such as clubs, groups, interests, jobs, food, entertainment, and neighborhoods. I only notice the Jersey City that I dwell in ignoring other aspects of town. We all want to be with our own...cut of cloth it's the way we were raised.

Heights is the Brion Gysin of jclist.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 2:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
So, what color dot represents the Ignorant Twit demographic on that map? And am I to assume, based on your statement, that they're all clustered in the Heights?

What is the ignorant part you speak of ? Were you annoyed or insulted by my response posting ? I was just stating fact based on information in marketing media. Sorry if I came across abrupt.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/30 16:20
Group:
Banned
Not NEARLY enough green dots for Newport!

Are these old maps?

Posted on: 2010/9/21 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

So, what color dot represents the Ignorant Twit demographic on that map? And am I to assume, based on your statement, that they're all clustered in the Heights?

Posted on: 2010/9/21 21:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I can still tell which PATH train I've just missed at 23rd Street simply by looking at who's left on the platform.

That's funny. I determine which PATH train should be next the same way.

OHHHHH!!!!!!!! THAT'S RACIAL PROFILING!!!!!

Posted on: 2010/9/21 21:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

JadedJC-

Posted on: 2010/9/21 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

JadedJC-

Posted on: 2010/9/21 20:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

JadedJC-

That's funny. I determine which PATH train should be next the same way.

Posted on: 2010/9/21 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

JadedJC-

Posted on: 2010/9/21 19:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

JadedJC-

Posted on: 2010/9/21 19:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
What I think is more interesting is the clear lines of demarkation of racially divided neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Also the Detroit map like this has an even stranger pattern.

I lived in Detroit for a year. That hard line segregating black from white is 8 Mile Road.

Posted on: 2010/9/21 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
What I think is more interesting is the clear lines of demarkation of racially divided neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Also the Detroit map like this has an even stranger pattern.

Posted on: 2010/9/21 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/9/21 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for posting this ..very interesting.

Posted on: 2010/9/21 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Here is the JC area if you are having trouble finding it:

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0df1kp5bb

Posted on: 2010/9/21 18:50
I live by the river.

Demonstration of Jersey City's diversity
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Someone has prepared a map of the NYC area's population block by block using colored dots to represent various ethnic groups as self-reported on the 2000 census.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkings ... in/set-72157624812674967/

Red: Whites

Blue: Blacks

Green: Asians

Orange: Hispanics

With certain obvious exceptions, most of Jersey City shows up as one of the most diverse communities in the entire metropolitan area, and if you look at the various maps of other cities (see link below), in the nation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/sets/72157624812674967/

I thought this map was interesting enough to post even at the risk of awakening the trolls. Please don't prove me wrong.

Posted on: 2010/9/21 18:39
I live by the river.

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017