Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
54 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 54

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Inner City Youth Volunteer Programs - Does anyone know of any?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

Not a good idea to get invloved there are liabilities at risk here.

heights, I couldn't disagree more. Whatever liabilities are at risk, and most places carry liability insurance, is far over-weighed by the satisfaction of helping another, particularly inner-city youth who are most at risk for all that plagues our society and their neighborhoods.

If you, yourself, have never experienced helping another of a different socio-economic class then yourself, poor, little sense of security or self esteem, particular youthful persons of color facing danger daily, drugs, violence then you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Since you use a choo choo as an avatar, just remember the childhood story, of "The Little Engine That Could": I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 19:31
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the suggestions, I plan to check out the Boys and Girls Club here in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 18:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/23 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
As an educator, I can tell you that it's up to anyone who has the time or desire to help our inner city youth to do it, because no one else is.

Often their parents are overworked, or non existent. It's important that if you think you want to get involved - that you actually do. I suggest the Boys and Girls Club, or go on idealist - they have a list of local organizations.

Posted on: 2010/7/23 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/8 2:45
From Bergen/Laf
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jerseymom wrote:
The biggest liability of all is abandoning our city's youngsters, hiding in our comfortable little homes, and letting "someone else" do something.

If we don't step up and help, mentor, guide, inspire and keep the youth of our community on track, we'll be reading more and more stories like the five-year-old that was recently shot at Montgomery Gardens.

Programs like PAL currently take 150 kids off the streets every day, help them with their homework, involve them in sports, and give them something positive to do. Their workforce is all volunteer - interested adults from the community that realize they can and do indeed make a difference.

It's one part of the complex puzzle of helping the kids in our city - but it's a start - and I encourage anyone that is interested to get involved.

Was Heights serious? If so what a jack ass. So as much as everyone complains on here about the bad kids and shit they do when finally someone steps up and wants to help its called a liability? Disgusting, thanks JerseyMom for the good info, I am actually going to look into the PAL as well. And Miss Mags "mad props to you lol"

Posted on: 2010/7/22 2:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
The biggest liability of all is abandoning our city's youngsters, hiding in our comfortable little homes, and letting "someone else" do something.

If we don't step up and help, mentor, guide, inspire and keep the youth of our community on track, we'll be reading more and more stories like the five-year-old that was recently shot at Montgomery Gardens.

Programs like PAL currently take 150 kids off the streets every day, help them with their homework, involve them in sports, and give them something positive to do. Their workforce is all volunteer - interested adults from the community that realize they can and do indeed make a difference.

It's one part of the complex puzzle of helping the kids in our city - but it's a start - and I encourage anyone that is interested to get involved.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

missmags wrote:
I currently volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters and am a mentor to one girl. This program seems beneficial for her but I realize that there are so many people that need help.

Does anyone know of any volunteer orgs in Hudson County or NYC that help inner city kids? I am thinking I can have more of an impact if I help more than one child. Perhaps a place where they teach kids computer skills, job training or something like that. Let me know.

Not a good idea to get invloved there are liabilities at risk here.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Hi MissMags,

I commend you on helping out in the community. Have you ever tried the Jersey City Police Activity League (JCPAL)?

This is a great organization that serves inner city children in a variety of capacities - not just the sports programs that involve hundreds of Jersey City children all throughout the year.

They also mentor and tutor, and the director, Sgt. Frank Williams, is seeking ideas for new programs to launch in the fall. He's particularly interested in developing new initiatives to empower girls - public speaking, creative writing, journalism, etc. He's a very easy person to work with and he's open to any creative idea that will help keep the kids off the streets in Jersey City.

You can contact Sgt. Williams at director@jerseycitypal.org.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2010/7/21 16:54

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/21 16:50
Group:
Registered Users
The Allstars Project has a great program and are always in need of volunteers.

http://www.allstars.org/

Posted on: 2010/7/21 16:53

Inner City Youth Volunteer Programs - Does anyone know of any?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/21 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
I currently volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters and am a mentor to one girl. This program seems beneficial for her but I realize that there are so many people that need help.

Does anyone know of any volunteer orgs in Hudson County or NYC that help inner city kids? I am thinking I can have more of an impact if I help more than one child. Perhaps a place where they teach kids computer skills, job training or something like that.

Let me know.

Posted on: 2010/7/21 15:40

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017