Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Hudson Reporter - Parking meter rate going up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
That's why the JC Parking Authority is such a cash cow for the city...

....oh wait!

Quote:

Beachguy wrote:
Just wanted to give all of you a heads-up that the new 20-minute per quarter rate took effect on Grove Street today. Our 2 hours for a buck now costs $1.50.

Quote:

brewster wrote:

...It blows my mind there are unmetered spots at all on the commercial strip of Grove...

Brewster, you have a good point!

Posted on: 2010/7/7 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Just wanted to give all of you a heads-up that the new 20-minute per quarter rate took effect on Grove Street today. Our 2 hours for a buck now costs $1.50.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I saw a story about this happening in NYC over the past several months. It has actually helped free up more parking for shoppers in NYC. People tend to move out of spots quicker. I think part of the problem in JC is the parking is too cheap and is monopolized by shop-owners etc. for their cars.

I agree. I usually only patronize the restaurants on Grove for lunch when I'm running car errands and want to grab a bite. If I can't get a parking spot I move on. It blows my mind there are unmetered spots at all on the commercial strip of Grove.

I also get annoyed at the postal trucks hogging the meters by the post office.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I saw a story about this happening in NYC over the past several months. It has actually helped free up more parking for shoppers in NYC. People tend to move out of spots quicker. I think part of the problem in JC is the parking is too cheap and is monopolized by shop-owners etc. for their cars.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 21:25

Hudson Reporter - Parking meter rate going up
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/16 3:14
Group:
Registered Users
Parking meter rate going up

Fifty percent increase starting this summer

by Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter Staff Writer

The Jersey City Parking Authority plans to raise the citywide parking meter fee from 50 cents per hour to 75 starting this summer, something that has Jersey City Heights resident John Seborowski frustrated.

Jersey City already has some 25-cents-per-20 minute red-colored meters in certain business areas in the city, but the new increase would apply to the rest. Some of the areas with meters are downtown Jersey City on sections of Newark Avenue and Jersey Avenue, as well as Central Avenue in the Heights.

Seborowski brought up the matter at the City Council meeting on May 12. He said at the meeting that he was surprised little has been mentioned or discussed by city officials about the increase, which he found out about after coming across information listed on the council?s agenda in the Petitions and Communications section.

The Jersey City Parking Authority plans to raise the citywide meter fee by 50 percent.
________

In fact, business owners contacted by this newspaper last week said they were unaware of the coming change, although they did not consider the increase significant.

A May 6 memo from the Parking Authority?s executive director Mary Paretti to Mayor Jerramiah Healy addressed the increase, claiming it was done to increase turnover, since monitoring at certain metered spaces has revealed they are occupied all day by people feeding quarters. The increase was approved by the Parking Authority Board of Commissioners at their April 27 meeting and did not need to be confirmed by the council. It will go into effect later this summer after certain other steps are taken.

At the meeting, Seborowski said the increase is ?not fair? to residents of Jersey City and that the Parking Authority should instead enforce current regulations to ensure available parking.

?Punish those responsible for abusing parking regulations, not those who abide by the regulations,? Seborowski said. ?Or is this just another way to squeeze the residents and increase the income of the Parking Authority??

He also took the Parking Authority to task for the statement in the memo saying approval to increase meter fees was not needed from the City Council because the city?s municipal code stipulates that the Parking Authority is responsible for the ?regulation, control, maintenance, operation and use of parking meters.?

Seborowski pointed out that the Parking Authority found time to come in front of the council in November to convince them to approve a $4.6 million bond for the Parking Authority to purchase 392 Central Ave., the building where it is currently headquartered.

Paretti could not be reached last week at her office or on her cell phone for comment on the meter rate hike. An employee at the Parking Authority said she was on vacation.

Mentioning other cities? rates

The memo by Paretti says the increased rate would be comparable to meter rates in cities of similar size such as Newark, Camden, and Paterson, which are currently .75 per hour.

In most Hudson County towns with meters, the fee is .50 per hour, with the exception of Hoboken, whose $1 per hour is the highest in Hudson County.

The next step ? unless there is a repeal of the increase as requested by Seborowski at the council meeting ? is for the meters to be recalibrated to reflect the increase, starting sometime between June 1 and July 1.

Paretti?s memo also states that public notices and flyers will be sent out to let residents and businesses know about the change.

Business owners unaware

Two downtown business owners interviewed last week said they only found out after being told by a reporter about the increase.

Phillip Stamborski is owner of Gallerie Hudson, a frame shop located on the corner of Jersey and Newark avenues in downtown Jersey City that is only a few feet away from metered spaces. He was somewhat taken aback, yet not too surprised.

?Fifty to 75 cents is not a big deal,? Stamborski said. ?The bigger issue is creating more parking spaces, since I have customers who drive in here and get frustrated from not finding any parking.?

Stamborski continued, ?I understand we need money, but we need some other kind of parking solution.?

Jennifer Smith, owner of Jack?s Toy Shop on Jersey Avenue, also didn?t know about the meter fee increase, but didn?t seem concerned since most of her customers walk to her store.

?A quarter for 20 minutes, I don?t think the average person will notice,? Smith said. ?

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 21:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017