Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
90 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Do your job Councilman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I think that in the short term some minor "compromise legislation" might be beneficial to the city HOWEVER our present city council is so grotesquely unresponsive and corrupt that MASSIVE change is needed. They need to go as does the puppet master that handles them also needs to go.

Mr. Fulop please continue to howl at the moon. Personally some relatively minor short term gain is a small price to pay for comprehensive long term reform in this new voter's humble opinion.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 19:49
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 0:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Horse wrote:
I realize that most of the Council members are obliged to maintain the status quo on behalf of the HCDO. But this is why I was happy when Fulop was re-elected, I hoped he would get some fresh, practical ideas through. That is what a skilled legislator does. Instead he suggests things like cutting the health benefits for the City Council, something he knows will not pass, but that will get his name in the paper. Cutting health benefits to the Council members really doesn?t save the city that much money and only serves to waste time and energy that could go towards sincerely tackling our problem. In order to better position himself for a Mayoral race he is sacrificing effective action that we desperately need NOW.

Interesting take - and a first-time poster no less. Let's take a step back - you say Fulop is introducing things that won't pass. Yet the mayor has tried to hitch his wagon twice to Fulop proposals - recognizing that things like eliminating benefits to the JCIA and MUA board members and getting rid of cars when they aren't warranted are good ideas. Of course the mayor is too compromised to do these things in a meaningful way, so he goes in for 20%. Nonetheless - still a recognition that the idea is sound. No matter, the bought and paid for voted both versions down.

Not doing his job? Really? Let's take the other eight members of the council and add up all of the cost cutting legislation they've proposed. [crickets] Nothing. Not one proposal to save one dollar. How can you possibly be okay that "most of the Council members are obliged to maintain the status quo on behalf of the HCDO" and yet waste time creating false arguments about Fulop?? Council members are obliged to represent their constituents and nothing else. If you look back to last May, you'll find that the voters of Ward E are very happy with their councilman. Happier than any other ward in the city.

Well said Mr.Bird.Mr horse thinks its ok for the eight council people to look out for the HCDO,wow that says it all.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 19:14

Re: Councilman Fulop - Winter 2010 Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
interesting take....b/c that is what this city needs, cost cutting and as i filled out as a suggestion in the paper fulop passed around last week that means looking into unions. i know the guys next to me wrote the same thing, so hopefully he uses those suggestions and starts hitting the budget where it needs to be hit.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with both comments. Fulop is definitely the best out there but I do not understand why he is not challenging the unions and trying to implement major cost cutting measures. Is it because he does not want to lose their support?

Posted on: 2010/3/2 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Horse wrote:
I realize that most of the Council members are obliged to maintain the status quo on behalf of the HCDO. But this is why I was happy when Fulop was re-elected, I hoped he would get some fresh, practical ideas through. That is what a skilled legislator does. Instead he suggests things like cutting the health benefits for the City Council, something he knows will not pass, but that will get his name in the paper. Cutting health benefits to the Council members really doesn?t save the city that much money and only serves to waste time and energy that could go towards sincerely tackling our problem. In order to better position himself for a Mayoral race he is sacrificing effective action that we desperately need NOW.

Interesting take - and a first-time poster no less. Let's take a step back - you say Fulop is introducing things that won't pass. Yet the mayor has tried to hitch his wagon twice to Fulop proposals - recognizing that things like eliminating benefits to the JCIA and MUA board members and getting rid of cars when they aren't warranted are good ideas. Of course the mayor is too compromised to do these things in a meaningful way, so he goes in for 20%. Nonetheless - still a recognition that the idea is sound. No matter, the bought and paid for voted both versions down.

Not doing his job? Really? Let's take the other eight members of the council and add up all of the cost cutting legislation they've proposed. [crickets] Nothing. Not one proposal to save one dollar. How can you possibly be okay that "most of the Council members are obliged to maintain the status quo on behalf of the HCDO" and yet waste time creating false arguments about Fulop?? Council members are obliged to represent their constituents and nothing else. If you look back to last May, you'll find that the voters of Ward E are very happy with their councilman. Happier than any other ward in the city.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 1:03

Do your job Councilman

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 21:10
Group:
Registered Users
Does Mr. Fulop understand that he is a legislator? Granted, moving the elections to November is a great idea. But besides that I don?t see him trying to implement creative policies to address the budget. Instead, I see him introducing proposals that he knows will not pass, that only serve to cause conflict on the council at a time when he should be trying to build bridges with the other council members to get some positive cost cutting items through.

If he was sincere instead of merely posturing, why wouldn?t he vote against an increased payment to the law firm Schwartz, Simon, Edelstein, Celso & Kessler? On February 17, Fulop voted along with seven other members of the council to nearly double the firm?s existing contract. Councilwoman Richardson voted against. I know Fulop gets a lot of support from lawyers, is he letting them know that it will be business as usual in a Fulop administration?

I still think Fulop is the most viable non-machine candidate out there right now. And he is certainly less worse than the continued reign of the HCDO, but I am deeply concerned that he is more focused on furthering his political career than actually making positive change in Jersey City. I don?t fault the guy for being ambitious, as long as he doesn?t sacrifice what?s in our best interests and that he does his job. His job, until he is elected mayor, is to be a legislator. That requires working with others to achieve some kind of results that the people of Jersey City are desperate for.

Posted on: 2010/3/1 23:18

Councilman Fulop - Winter 2010 Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Winter 2010 Update from Councilman Fulop

I hope this Winter 2010 newsletter finds you well. I am thankful every day that I am given the opportunity to represent your needs on the council; with that responsibility I have tried to raise the bar consistently by making sure you are always in the loop with regard to city happenings, legislation that I have sponsored as your representative, goals in the near term, and where you can be a resource.

As the only elected official in the city who has never been part of the old political machine and the only independent voice on the council, I have honestly found the job frustrating at times: common sense solutions for budgets, taxes, and services are often not implemented. I often believe that it is the old-time political machine that has created a fiscal mess in the city, and this newsletter serves a small but key role in correcting it. My belief is that the more people are aware of what is happening in the city, the more people we can get involved, the better we can fix the schools, the taxes, the crime, and unemployment.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve and should you have any questions at all please just reply to this email.

Steve

Section 1 - Tax and budget issues
Section 2 - Legislation
Section 3 - Infrastructure and streetscapes
Section 4 - Traffic and street lights update
Section 5 - Open & green space update
Section 6 - General
Section 7 - Did you know?
Section 8 - Constituent feedback requests
Section 9 - Council Office

TAXES AND BUDGET ISSUES
Budget
At the January 13th council meeting, without any public notice, the administration placed on the agenda a draft budget that included a 30% tax increase.

It is unfathomable that something this important can be walked on to the agenda, and it is unconscionable to introduce a budget more than six months into the year -- when half the money has already been spent.

The budget comes on the heels of 53 new hires since the May election.

On budget issues like this I am the lone voice on the council, but it is really your voice that matters most. The next council meeting is February 24th: you can sign up and speak by calling the City Clerk's office at (201) 547-5150. The budget is not finalized yet but you can let the administration know the hardship they place on people and send a strong message that the bloated budget needs to be cut.

Tax Appeals
If you are a homeowner, you should be aware that there is a process for appealing your property taxes should you feel the assessed value of your property is appraised too high.

Every year in January each homeowner receives a postcard with information about the assessed value of their home on which property taxes for the current year will be based. Forms and instructions for filing an appeal can be obtained from the Hudson County Board of Taxation located on the 3rd floor of 257 Cornelison Avenue in Jersey City.

The deadline for 2010 property tax appeals is April 1, 2010.

In addition, we would also like to hear from you directly on how this is impacting you and your community as well as invite you to share your suggestions. Please go to www.stevenfulop.com/budget to fill out our simple form.

LEGISLATION
We pride ourselves on leading the charge by way of sponsoring and passing more proactive legislative quality of life improvements than any other council office. While council people don?t have any input on personnel issues for the city or deployment, I take the opportunity to focus on quality of life issues via constituent services and legislation.

In addition, you will find that many of these initiatives will save the taxpayers of Jersey City several million dollars. These measures are only a beginning. Once we pass these needed changes, we will continue to identify and introduce additional cuts.

In light of the recent corruption arrests and their impact on Jersey City in particular, I recognize that it will take time to restore the public trust. However, this is a meaningful first step.

Tax Payment Plan Legislation
Recognizing that many hard working families are struggling, I suggested implementing policy replicated in most other large cities so that homeowners can apply to pay a portion of their property taxes via a payment plan

The ordinance would not apply to everyone but to those that can demonstrate through set criteria they have recently been laid off, had a salary reduction, or prove unique hardship. The goal is to try and keep families in their homes before the city moves to the tax lien sale and foreclosure process. Every single day we hear of struggling families in Jersey City. Nearly half of all Jersey City homeowners pay their own taxes directly to the city rather than through a mortgage company. As a government we need to do everything can in order to make sure that hardworking families don?t lose their homes.

Sadly the council rejected the proposal 7-2 out of the fear that too many people would apply. From my standpoint it is disingenuous of some on the council to vote for tax abatement after tax abatement, as well as pension payment obligation deferrals, but when it comes to the homeowners they reject a simple opportunity to apply for something that could help some residents keep their homes.

High-Rise Parking
Over the years we have received many complaints from residents living in the newer waterfront buildings. Only after signing a lease, when applying for an on-street residential parking permit ($12/year), did they find out that they were ineligible to receive one. The only option to them at that point was to pay very high fees for a private parking garage.

Since many of the new high rises would have brought a huge loss of on- street parking spaces to the existing neighborhoods that could already feel the crunch, the community, developers, and the City agreed that residents of these buildings would not have the option of parking on the street. This makes sense.

However, what this ordinance accomplishes is transparency and honesty so that the tenant deciding to reside in one of these buildings is fully aware that they will not be able to park on the street, to help them make an informed decision on whether to rent taking into account costs for off-street parking. The developer/owner/management company will now need to disclose the parking situation prior to the signing of the lease and have the renter sign a document stating they have been made aware of the situation.

Booting Policy Reform
My office remains a strong advocate for booting policy reform. We seek to strike a fair balance between protecting parking for tax-paying residents and making sure the punishment fits the crime, without violating constitutional rights. In addition, I am working with the Jersey City Parking Authority to repay anyone who was wrongly booted.

Regrettably, we have run into several delays while the Council and the JCPA continue to work on creating a sound and fair policy. By the next newsletter I hope to have a resolution and full information on the new policy to be implemented.

Read more...
Booting Ordinance May Be Delayed
Jersey City City Council proposes four-hour citywide parking option

City Hall Parking Permits
This ordinance represents a simple but significant change for the residents in Ward E. When passed, residents would be able to apply and pick up parking zone permits directly at city hall. Residents will no longer need to drive to Central Avenue in order to pick up the parking permit for zone parking or visitor passes.

Shifting Municipal Elections from May to November
In the final days of the Corzine administration, the state legislature passed a law giving municipalities, like Jersey City, the option of moving their non-partisan May elections to November while remaining non-partisan. This would make municipal elections consistent and the same time frame as the much larger elections, and thereby minimizing voter fatigue. The estimated cost savings to the taxpayers comes in at over 1 million dollars. This also represents an opportunity to significantly increase voter turnout and save money simultaneously; a worthwhile switch and change worth pursuing. I have attached an article on this here and would be interested in hearing your feedback.

Benefits for Council, MUA, & JCIA
I am proposing the elimination of health benefits for members of the City Council and politically appointed boards (cost savings of approximately $500,000 per year). Health benefits, especially to the boards that amount to 12 meetings per year, should not come with health insurance that costs the taxpayers between $8,000 and $20,000 per year, per board member. I am proposing the Council be one of the first bodies to step up to the plate and show that along with the taxpayers they can tighten their belts.

Jersey City councilman Steven Fulop pushes proposals he says will save city nearly $3 million
Political appointments fuel health benefits debate in Jersey City

JC1TV
This proposed ordinance sets guidelines, policies, and priorities for JC1TV so the public will have access to information on city happenings that is currently not shown. The ordinance requires that all city council meetings be televised live (gavel to gavel) and rebroadcast four subsequent times prior to the next council meeting. Currently city council meetings and voting sessions are never televised. Furthermore, the ordinance also sets boundaries for elimination of political use of JC1TV.

I think an important step in solving the city?s problems is creating transparency around what is happening in city hall. Elected officials should be proud of how they vote and should have nothing to hide. This is a common-sense reform, which will open the curtains and give people access to the workings of their government.

Read more...
Jersey City Council meetings on cable TV
Councilman Steve Fulop wants council meeting's televised on JC1TV
Fulop Introduces Legislation to Require TV Coverage of Council Meetings

Animal Control Policy
This ordinance explores the option of outsourcing our animal control duties to the Liberty Humane Society, with a strong checks and balances component. LHS is currently performing many of the duties already and this would come at a cost savings of between $500-800K.

Disband controversial Animal Control Division?

INFRASTRUCTURE AND STREETSCAPES
Newark Avenue Streetscape
All but a few small projects in Phases I and II of the Newark Avenue Streetscape project are complete. Phase III, beginning at Coles and ending at Summit Avenue (Five Corners), will see the same streetscaping that has been completed in Phases I and II, from Grove Street to Coles. Phase III will include repaving of Newark Avenue, benches, trash cans, lights, new sidewalks and crosswalks.

The contractor is slated to start work in the next 2-4 weeks. Work must start by March 13th or we risk losing the federal funds utilized to complete the Newark Streetscape project. Therefore work will be resuming shortly.

Many people have asked about the unfinished crosswalks. Due to the cold weather some polymer resin crosswalks and thermoplastic ladder striping crosswalks were not completed. For the work to be done effectively, the temperature has to be 40 degrees and rising -- preferably at least 50 degrees. In March or April, the contractor and subcontractors will return to the site and complete all missing or defective work.

A public ceremony will take place in Mercado Park to celebrate the revitalization of Newark Avenue when it is complete.

Christopher Columbus Drive
Like many other projects, this has been greatly delayed due to poor weather conditions. The City's Engineering division has assured us that they completely understand the rapidly deteriorating conditions of this already dismal road.

Work is slated to start up again in the next few weeks when the weather is expected to clear up. Initial work will continue on installing wheelchair ramps, curbing, sidewalk, and utilities. Milling and paving will take place between late spring and early summer as originally scheduled.

TRAFFIC AND STREET LIGHTS UPDATE
Traffic Lights:
2nd & Marin? The current administration has deemed this intersection not in need of a traffic light.

9th & Marin ? The intersection is currently under design and should be ready for construction in late spring or early summer.

10th & Erie ? Many people have suggested that this blinking light be changed to a fully functional light due a high number of accidents at this intersection. However, working with the Traffic division, our office has determined that a fully functional light would require a complete overhaul of the existing intersection and is not necessary. The East Police District has stepped up enforcement in this area.

Street Lamps:
Our office is currently working on obtaining lighting under various portions of the elevated light rail tracks, which pose a safety risk.

Opening of Greene Street (at the intersection of Washington and 2nd Street)
A pre-construction meeting was convened with the representatives of various agencies and divisions in order to move this project forward. Work will commence in early spring with the result being a pedestrian and driver friendly intersection.

OPEN & GREEN SPACE UPDATE
Hamilton Park Renovation
Progress has slowed due to poor weather conditions, which has delayed the renovation 3-4 weeks. However, Green Construction will be substantially complete and open to public use by late April or early May.

Many people have asked specifically about the tennis courts. They will be color coated and lined - however this process is temperature-sensitive and will likely be one of the last items to be completed at the Park, along with the landscaping.

Colgate Park Renovation
The contract has been awarded and demolition work has commenced. While the weather has slowed work a bit the finish date is still set for early May.

1st Street Park
The Village Neighborhood Association is in the process of applying for two open space grants. A final plan, project drawings, and site evaluations are in process.

In November the city came in and removed all of the trees. They were deemed unsafe and were slated to be removed before the renovation process began.

In addition, some of the park material is being repurposed, and the new park will be built with sustainable materials and techniques.

Van Vorst Park
As part of the spray ground project, the Friends of Van Vorst Park made applications to both the State and County (through the Jersey City Parks Coalition), came up with a concept, researched the design, and solicited and received over 300 signatures of support. These were presented to the council for approval, and the project was granted not $40,000 (as we mistakenly reported in the fall), but a total of $120,000 from Green Acres and Hudson County Open Space grants.

We applaud both FVVP and JCPC for their hard work and for obtaining the largest grant received by a community non-profit for a public park in Jersey City.

Paulus Hook Park
The Historic Paulus Hook Association (HPHA) is currently conducting a survey of the Paulus Hook Park (located in four sections at the intersection of Washington and Grand Streets).

They are asking that all residents looking to use the park in the future voice their opinions by taking 10 minutes to fill out the survey. All Jersey City residents are eligible to fill out the survey. The deadline is March 1st, 2010. Results will be presented on Thursday April 1st, 2010 at the HPHA monthly meeting [7:30pm in OLC Community Hall, 114-118 Sussex Street].

Survey Link:

Paulus Hook Park Survey

GENERAL
Foreclosure Prevention Program
JCECDC (Jersey City Episcopal Community Development Corporation) has launched a foreclosure prevention program. If you come across anyone that needs help, they can be referred to Keisher Harris @ 201-209-9301 x315 or kharris@jcecdc.org

City of Jersey City Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program
There is short-term help available for those who are currently homeless or may shortly become homeless. Please refer to the information sheet linked below if you know of any individual or family at risk. Jersey City has been awarded over $2.6 million in Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing (HPRP) funds from the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These funds will go to services such as short-term financial assistance, case management services, and re-housing.

Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program

EDUCATION
On April 20th we will once again be voting 3 members of the Jersey City Board of Education onto the Board. We encourage everyone to listen to the various candidates running and to go out and vote. Traditionally voter turnout is low for the JCBOE, even though these elections have an incredible impact on the quality of education, the value of your property, and how much you pay on the schools portion of your tax bill. Please get to know the candidates and get out to vote.

DID YOU KNOW?
Creating a block association is easy and smart
Spring is rapidly approaching and soon neighbors will be out greeting one another again. Block associations are a wonderful way to assist your neighbors, identify common and resolvable issues in your area, as well as deter crime.

Starting up a block association is easy, but it takes approval from various divisions and must be voted in by resolution. We encourage anyone interested in starting one to start now in time for summer block parties.

Our council office staff is ready to assist you; please call Pam Andes at (201) 547-5315 and she will take you through the steps.

CONSTITUENT FEEDBACK
Once again, we would like to hear from you:

Abandoned Properties
The first step in identifying an abandoned property is the appearance of neglect lasting 6 months or longer. You can call Mark Redfield at the Department of Housing at 201-547-4825 to report an abandoned property. In addition, you can investigate further by calling the City Tax Collector's Office at (201) 547-5124/5125 to confirm any tax liens on a property. If you know the block and lot numbers, you can use Jersey City's online tax inquiry service.

Please let us know when you report property abandoned by emailing me at fulops@jcnj.org or calling my office directly at 201-547-5315. This allows us to help you track problem areas in your neighborhood.

Crosswalks & Street Paving
My office keeps a running list of street paving requests. While we do not have final say in which streets get paved, we do like to hand in a list of constituent requests to the Engineering division, which then looks at these streets to determine priority and funding. They have recently added a similar policy for crosswalks, so we are now keeping a running list of crosswalks in need of repair. Crosswalks in school zones take priority.

Streets last approximately 12 years before needing repaving and crosswalks 3 to 5 years. Let us know if you have a street or crosswalk that you believe needs repaving, and we will include it in our list for Engineering.

We are still waiting on the list of streets to be milled and paved. The list will come out shortly after it has been determined how much money from this year's budget will be allocated to roads.

OFFICE
Staff changes:
Angie Sanchez is no longer with us. She has been lucky enough to find a perfect position for her talents and we wish her the best of luck. Pam Andes will be returning to the position of council aide and Althea Bernheim remains chief of staff.

Internships:
Our office is always grateful to the wonderful interns we have had. If you or someone you know is interested in an internship or independent study for the summer, please contact us as soon as possible.

Coffee Meet & Greets:
Meeting with constituents is something I really enjoy. Issues are always changing and the City is facing many hard challenges ahead. Lately people have been asking me to come speak to small groups of interested citizens. If you are interested in hosting a meet and greet feel free to email me at coffeemeetup@stevenfulop.com

In closing I would like to once again say thank you for your continued support and the various ways you contribute to your community.

Sincerely,
Councilman Steven Fulop and staff

Posted on: 2010/2/23 16:42
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!