Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJ city considers billing insurance for fire calls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Really. Kind of reminds me of some great scenes from Gangs of New York where the fire brigades were a capitalistic bunch who raided the houses for the good stuff and maybe got around to putting out the flames.

Does the Fire Safety Director of those commercial clients get a kickback for pulling the fire alarm?

Posted on: 2009/12/2 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
You don't need to be Nostradamus to see how this'll play out. People will be reluctant to call 911 fearing insurance rise and more houses will burn down and more people will die. But the city will collect a couple of hundred thou more, so all is good.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/7 0:45
Group:
Registered Users
If they need the money so badly, they should face the public and raise taxes. As the article states, the insurance companies will simply raise their rates anyway and it will become a hidden tax. If the fire department does it, other entities will follow. Perhaps the Parking Authority should tack on $.50/ticket charge for ink and paper. Or perhaps the police should add a handcuff usage fee. City Hall could also charge people to speak at public meetings because they are taking up valuable time at council meetings. Call this one "the public forum charge."

Posted on: 2009/12/1 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
What a joke - We pay taxes for what these days ?

If its going to be a user pays set-up, them why should l pay any taxes.
Next thing that will happen is that JC will be weighing our trash and have us pay extra if its over weight.

Just were is all these extra funds / taxes generated by the thousands of condo being built and sold.

I believe we are well over due for a complete and through audit of all things financial with CityHall's expenditure and income. I place my left testical that there is mismangement and shifty crap going on....and of course Healy will know nothing !

Posted on: 2009/12/1 20:20
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
Yes, in these financial times let's bilk the insurance companies and screw everybody else when their rates increase.

They already do, car insurance companies rate you on your level of education, credit rating, and type of employment. What's next having the insurance companies shell out all of the expenses for the entire fire department's costs and needs ? We can hold the residents liable for their actions tracing where and how the fire started. I heard some companies would not pay out IOD (injured on duty) medical expenses if the employee was at fault for his or her stupid accident.

Sure, but those policies come from the insurance companies themselves, where you at least have a chance at choosing a different provider. When the policy is government-directed, you have no such choice.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
Yes, in these financial times let's bilk the insurance companies and screw everybody else when their rates increase.

They already do, car insurance companies rate you on your level of education, credit rating, and type of employment. What's next having the insurance companies shell out all of the expenses for the entire fire department's costs and needs ? We can hold the residents liable for their actions tracing where and how the fire started. I heard some companies would not pay out IOD (injured on duty) medical expenses if the employee was at fault for his or her stupid accident.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/12/1 17:26

NJ city considers billing insurance for fire calls
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
NJ city considers billing insurance for fire calls

The Associated Press

PASSAIC, N.J. - One New Jersey city is considering billing insurance companies for fire department services.

Passaic Mayor Alex Blanco is proposing insurers pay $500 for residential fire calls and $25,000 for fires in commercial buildings.

Fire department calls to car accidents could also be subject to bills.

Blanco says the plan could raise $150,000 per year at a time when the economy is taking a toll on the city's budget.

Some residents oppose the ordinance, saying insurance companies would raise their rates.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 16:58

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017