Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Re: RALLY/PROTEST WEDNESDAY, 29TH CITY HALL AT 9:00AM
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
frenchman: don't forget this re-election promo -

Posted on: 2009/7/30 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/2 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
Saw Healy give his statement today and he was visibly upset. He can feel the walls closing in on him as he ponders the extent of his complicity in this corruption case. He sat with the CW twice in the luncheonette along with Beldini, his campaign treasurer. They were there to talk money & nothing else. The transcript of the Beldini, Cheatem & Shaw matter states Healy was at the luncheonette against advice of his City Hall staff who preferred him to do business in his office. The man is a wreck wondering when the Feds will be coming to get him.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 3:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/27 21:40
From city hall
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/30 3:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
Brennan's comment about changing his vote was a complete joke. It shows one of two things: 1. he spent so little time thinking through the issues that he could be swayed by such a minor incident or 2) he felt so guilty about casting that yes vote that he was grasping for anytype of justification. Either way it was a sad reflection upon the deliberation style of our new council president pro temp.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 2:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
To be clear - Brennan's remark of "just for that I'm changing my vote" was more inapporpriate than the heckler's.

Brennan was never voting for it. He was wrapping up his comments to vote against it and said "it's not up to us to decide - this is a matter in which President Vega and Mayor Healy need to sit down and decide what is best for the people." "Heckler": We don't need the mayor and Vega to decide what is best for us."

Posted on: 2009/7/30 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
After being at City Hall today for 4 hours I sat and reflected on all of this.
I have to say that some of us wish that a group this big would show up to city council when such ordinances and laws were being passed that are affecting us negatively TODAY.
DO I think those accused are guilty? Probably. But I firmly believe that more than 44 should have been handcuffed.
It is safe to say that too many people have benefited from the misfortunes of others here in Jersey City.
As a life long resident here this have been the same old story. Although now people have been arrested.

Not only Mariano but the rest of the city council has had a weak or no back bone for years. Most except for STeve Fulop have the courage to say "hey wait a minute let's discuss the effects here"

Sadly for the people of Ward F and Ward A this is just one blow after another. One missed opportunity after another. People in our neighbhorhood selling their souls to the devil.
I do hope that this will inspire all of us to band together to create a better JC. This is not just about Development its about JErsey CIty administrations' lack of due dilligence and seeing that WE as a whole are the most important people and not the devious developers coming into our town.

At least for those in ward E you can have the comfort that you have better and more desirable neighborhoods....we on the other hand got the shorted end of the stick.
I do hope that City Council now realizes that even the "little" people count.

Thank you and see you at the next council meeting!

Posted on: 2009/7/30 1:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/7 16:03
Group:
Registered Users
NJ.com had an article that described Healy during his press conference today as "trembling and flushed."

Did anyone see the press conference, is that an accurate description of his demeanor?

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... thorities_issue_subp.html

Posted on: 2009/7/30 1:55

Webmaster
Webmaster

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/25 12:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Webmasters

July 29, 2009 Jersey City, NJ Municipal Council President Mariano Vega Jr. makes opening statement at the Council meeting, he refuses to resign.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 1:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
WCBS said:

Mariano Vega was also asked if he violated state ethics laws by voting on a resolution that affects him personally. He replied by saying that he doesn't know about those laws . . . .

You can't make this stuff up.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 1:40
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop seems to be the only one who showed leadership everyone else looked like low-dirty-shame lowlives.

thanks for the video, PBW.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Brennan is no where close to beign a great guy. He is very arrogant and acts like the Citizens owe him and he is doing them a favor. In addition, he babbles on regarding issues but can never articulate why he is rubber stamping his Yes vote for Healy initiatives such as abatement.

Quote:

Sweet_and_Low wrote:
I admittedly know very little about Peter Brennan, and maybe he?s a great guy and a great council member ? but he left a very poor impression on me today when somebody in the crowd interrupted his remarks about the no confidence measure.

He called the heckler ?rude? and then said something along the lines of, ?Just for that, I?m changing my vote.?

I didn?t hear what the audience member shouted; maybe it WAS rude. But changing your vote out of spite? That?s just offensive.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 0:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/28 0:19
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I admittedly know very little about Peter Brennan, and maybe he?s a great guy and a great council member ? but he left a very poor impression on me today when somebody in the crowd interrupted his remarks about the no confidence measure.

He called the heckler ?rude? and then said something along the lines of, ?Just for that, I?m changing my vote.?

I didn?t hear what the audience member shouted; maybe it WAS rude. But changing your vote out of spite? That?s just offensive.

Posted on: 2009/7/30 0:01
"Security in this office park is a joke. Last year, I came to work with my spud gun in a duffel bag. I sat at my desk all day, with a rifle that shoots potatoes at 60 pounds per square inch. Can you imagine if I was deranged?" ---Dwight Schrute

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Also, just watched the three networks coverages online. CBS had the best.
http://wcbstv.com/video

At the end they say Vega may have broke ethics laws by voting on a resolution concerning him (the one to remove him).

Posted on: 2009/7/29 23:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good video of council meeting here:
Jersey City residents ask council president Mariano Vega to resign
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... y_council_defeats_no.html

Posted on: 2009/7/29 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I do not have the list of the indicted handy, but there were other city employees too... one on the Manzo ticket, an at- large candidate (woman) was a city employee in the payroll department... at least that is what I remember from the criminal profiles in the JJ. Can anyone confirm that... all the indicted city employees should be suspended / then fired, especially if they are in a treasury function.

IIRC, Serrano is an employee of the JC Board of Education. Though related to the City obviously, I do not think it makes her a "city employee" for purposes of whether the Mayor/Council has the discretion to alter her employment. Though I'm not 100% sure how that all works.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I do not have the list of the indicted handy, but there were other city employees too... one on the Manzo ticket, an at- large candidate (woman) was a city employee in the payroll department... at least that is what I remember from the criminal profiles in the JJ. Can anyone confirm that... all the indicted city employees should be suspended / then fired, especially if they are in a treasury function.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
My first City Council Meeting. Thought it was a good one to go to.

Arrived around 9:30. I expected a bigger rally turn out, but not surprised due to the time. Seemed more mild than I expected.
About a dozen people walking in a circle with signs. No Chanting.
Levin and some other guy (sorry I forgot your name) spoke for a few minutes each.

Went and got a seat. Meeting started half hour late. Vega reread his statement that he wasn't resigning which was met with boos. Then accused the press of ransacking Flood's council office. After some procedural stuff, finally it was time for people to speak (5 minutes each). I'd say a 5th of the people signed up to speak didn't show. About fifty listed in all. First few had nothing to do with Vega/corruption scandal. I guessed because they may have signed up to speak first, before the recent scandal. One of the first speakers had a good point. If Healy thinks the others accused should be suspended without pay, why not the elected officials? So the next few speakers asked for Vega to resign. Some Healy as well.
Someone said innocent till proven guilty - don't let the lynch mob mentality ruin someone. Referenced Ox-bow incident (great movie). Some dude got up and he lived by me. Started badmouthing politics and media, then transitioned into 9/11 conspiracies. Maybe I won't introduce myself. Levin asked for Healy, Lopez and Vega to resign. He needs to work on his public speaking. I like what he was saying but seemed a bit all over the place and his tone was monotonous. Someone said to make Fulop Council President. People started to rehash. Started losing me. Went outside for a smoke break when I didn't think the last speaker was going to be interesting. Got interviewed for channel 4 (I think). Answered a few questions, saying I think Healy and Vega should resign and that Shaw was a sad consequence. Was nervous and will probably look like an idiot.

After the speakers there was a short break. Voted on resolutions/ Fulop's to remove Vega was shot down. Bunch of other BS. Then over about 2PM. I'm missing something I know.

I thought Fulop was the only one who showed any leadership.
(People here know I'm a supporter of his, I'll admit I'm biased). Maybe it's the recent allegations, but they all seemed smug. I can't believe they all have no comment about what's happening and pretending it's business as usual.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
In light of Phillip floods rude acts today in front of media and scores of JC citizens here is the full story on Phillip Flood again.....Momma sure must be proud!

Wednesday, December 05, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Less than three months after one arm of county government pressured Jersey City resident Phillip Flood II to resign due to a marijuana bust, his mother, Hudson County Register and Jersey City Councilwoman Willie Flood, hired him as a $38,000-a-year data processing systems programmer, officials said yesterday.

It was the first of two government jobs Flood II has landed thanks to his mother. On Nov. 20, Willie Flood hired him as her aide, earning Flood II another $15,000 a year.

The marijuana arrest occurred on Feb. 15, officials said.

Initial charges included six counts, including possession of a controlled dangerous substance and being under the influence of drugs, but was downgraded to disorderly person offenses and remanded to the Jersey City Municipal Court, where on July 19 Flood II pleaded guilty to one court of possession of marijuana, said Trial Court Administrator Joseph Davis.

Flood II was placed on one year probation and given $708 in fines and penalties, which he paid by Sept. 25, Davis said.

The arrest triggered Flood II's suspension at the Hudson County Schools of Technology, where he had been working since July 2001 as a data entry and Web site employee, county officials said. Flood II finally resigned the $35,000-a-year post in August, said county spokesman Jim Kennelly.

The final call to put Flood II back on the county payroll on Nov. 13 was made by his mother, Willie Flood, Kennelly said yesterday.

"As a constitutional officer, she (Flood) is the appointing officer," Kennelly said. "She is the ultimate authority over who is hired or fired in her office."

The marijuana bust wasn't Flood II's first brush with the law.

In the face of a theft by deception charge by the state Attorney General's Office last year, Flood II agreed to repay the state nearly $13,000 in unemployment insurance the state said he fraudulently collected between Aug. 4, 2001 and Aug. 23, 2003.

Flood never entered a plea and entered pre-trial intervention so no crime was entered on his record, said Attorney General spokesman Peter Aseltine.

Flood II didn't return calls to comment. Willie Flood called her son "a very industrious and bright man."

He "grew up in the church" and helped distribute turkeys this past Thanksgiving, she added.

Of course Flood II is industrious, he went into business for himself selling marijuana out of his mom's car. That plus his generous spirit distributing turkeys and what not clearly make him qualified to be employed at taxpayers expense.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In case we all forgot this from January of 2008 regarding the Flood family.

http://www.myfoxny.com/subindex/news/shame

Click to page 8 "Political Nepotism" Phillip Flood is a looser.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
In case we all forgot this from January of 2008 regarding the Flood family.

http://www.myfoxny.com/subindex/news/shame

That sweet black Mercedes with pricey rims he drives around in was paid by us. Doubt will get a ride in it. Douche bag to the 10th degree.

December 05, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

...."The marijuana arrest occurred on Feb. 15, officials said.

Initial charges included six counts, including possession of a controlled dangerous substance and being under the influence of drugs, but was downgraded to disorderly person offenses and remanded to the Jersey City Municipal Court, where on July 19 Flood II pleaded guilty to one court of possession of marijuana, said Trial Court Administrator Joseph Davis.

Flood II was placed on one year probation and given $708 in fines and penalties, which he paid by Sept. 25, Davis said.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 18:47
Group:
Registered Users
I was at today's rally and the somewhat low (but not poor) turnout can be chalked up to the time of day since most people are at work at 9:00am. That said, can't we take a cue from Hoboken and schedule another rally (as previously suggested) at a time when more residents could attend?

Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Plus, Fulop votes against abatements all the time. Not every time - some abatements make sense. But he doesn't roll over the way the Team does.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for clearing that up! So how soon can they get pay to play reform back on for a vote?

Posted on: 2009/7/29 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
I was at the protest and most of the council meeting, up to the recess. Rally was smallish and orderly. Lots of news cameras, reporters etc. Council meeting was boring except for some of the public speakers.

The sound REALLY sucks in there, they need to fix that.

Why didn't Fulop say anything when the woman challenged somebody, anybody to say something on the tax abatement issue and to say they would not vote for any. I think that was her challenge but to be honest, not 100 percent sure! Help me on that one. But the council just sat there and said nothing.

So there you go.

Her challenge was unrealistic. She was asking them to reverse the abatements. That's impossible. What she should have done is challenged them not to offer any abatements in the future.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The protests need to keep up. People have the power. We need to use it. Just can't stand in front of City Hall like today and then not again. Need to do it a lot I think and loud, loud louder! They work for us.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 19:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the protest and most of the council meeting, up to the recess. Rally was smallish and orderly. Lots of news cameras, reporters etc. Council meeting was boring except for some of the public speakers.

The sound REALLY sucks in there, they need to fix that.

Why didn't Fulop say anything when the woman challenged somebody, anybody to say something on the tax abatement issue and to say they would not vote for any. I think that was her challenge but to be honest, not 100 percent sure! Help me on that one. But the council just sat there and said nothing.

So there you go.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Shadow wrote:
At the demonstration this morning did anyone catch Phillip Flood, son of Councilperson Willie Flood, angrily slam down a flier handed to him outside City Hall? After doing so, mouthing expletives, he went across the street and got behind the wheel of a Mercedes, with dark tinted windows, mommiepoos, no doubt, and took off like a bat outta hell. They're all time bombs waiting to go off.

How tinted? and which windows? New Jersey law says only the back windows can be tinted. File a report or something against him if the front ones are. If he won't resign you can always make his life harder. Plus someone in public office should know they are not above the law no matter how small it is.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 19:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:Saw the whole thing go down. What a tool. You would think being that your mom works for the government, she would have taught you some class. Nope, you're just like the rest of the worthless riff raff around this city. Except your benz was bought with tax payers' money as opposed to some junkie's last dollar bill.

I'm guessing that's the Benz that Phil Flood Jr. was caught selling marijuana from.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Here is clarification of the Pro-Tem position from Vega himself:

"I do not intend to resign as Council President, nor as a Councilman.

In the meantime, this Council has been developing an ordinance that, when adopted this coming Wednesday, would create a position of President Pro-Tem. This ordinance would allow a Councilperson to chair the Council meetings during this period. I also believe it would be wise to relinquish the Chairmanship of the Tax Enhancement Committee and allow another Councilperson to sit in my place during this period of time."

So he is still President and will preside over the meetings when he can find the time.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for the update. nice demotion of vega - still not enough, but a demotion nevertheless. and healy seems to be showing off his political showmanship. once ensconced, always reelected.

Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
jc independent tweeted two odd things .... can someone, who is/was present at the city council meeting - explain?

Brennan appointed Council president Pro Tem; will run meetings instead of Vega #jerseycity #corruption16 minutes ago from web

rumors fly in press room that Healy will resign #jerseycity #corruption #wantonspeculation10 minutes ago from web
marathon council mtg. adjourns; Healy now set to address

On Number 1, Vega is still a councilman, but is no longer the Council President.

On Number 2, one can only hope.

Posted on: 2009/7/29 19:12

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017