Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Buying condo w/ commercial space
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scottyNJ wrote:
I'm a potential first time home buyer...looking primarily in JC and was hoping for some experienced input. Anyone have experience with buying a condo in a building that has commercial space (i.e. retail) in the building? Lenders have stricter down payment requirements, but I'm curious if people in this situation have found these requirements negotiable (especially in the past 9 months or so).
Also - what's the basic logic here? Are the lenders just concerned about higher vacancy levels?
I'm stumbling across this issue on a few places and I was curious if anyone else has been there.

Speak to the bike shop in the Heights. The bike shop owns the business condo store front beneath the residential condos above.
James Vincent Bicycles
351 Palisade Ave.
Jersey City, NJ
201-420-5151
To get a mortgage on a condo with less than 20% down the condo may have to be 10 units or more and 70% owner occupied. If the building contains commercial space that may be a factor in getting the mortgage as well.
Check the age of the building, the age of the heating system (boiler) and the type of electrical system including the amount of amps. If the breaker/fuse boxes is a Federal Pacific brand (no blow) they have to be replaced Federals have a bad habit of not tripping when they should. Also you may want 60 or more amps preferably a hundred amps.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 14:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 18:40
Group:
Registered Users
In my experience it really depends on how much commercial space there is. Meaning what percentage of the building is commercial. Typically lenders do not want to see more than 10% of the building being commercial. Talk with a mortgage broker(yes broker) rather than directly with a bank. Banks can only offer very limited product while a mortgage broker can shop the loan around to several different lenders. There are lenders out there that will lend in buildings with a higher concentration of commercial without raising the percentage of your down payment or raising your rate.

No, I am not a mortgage broker.

Good luck

Posted on: 2009/7/21 13:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Lenders are now concerned with a giant beer garden opening in that retail space....

no, I am just kidding. I cannot help you here, but I am sure someone can.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 3:04

Buying condo w/ commercial space

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/21 23:56
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a potential first time home buyer...looking primarily in JC and was hoping for some experienced input. Anyone have experience with buying a condo in a building that has commercial space (i.e. retail) in the building? Lenders have stricter down payment requirements, but I'm curious if people in this situation have found these requirements negotiable (especially in the past 9 months or so).

Also - what's the basic logic here? Are the lenders just concerned about higher vacancy levels?

I'm stumbling across this issue on a few places and I was curious if anyone else has been there.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 3:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017