Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Distributor stolen from Honda (Coles St. between 4th and 5th)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No, I didn't file a report. The funny thing is, a cop was talking to someone on the street while I was waiting for the tow truck to show up. It did not even occur to me that I should talk to the cop. At the back of my mind, I must have been thinking, "Oh, what could they possibly do?" A week has passed since, and I kind of feel funny to report it now.

Atsushi

Posted on: 2009/5/21 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pchops wrote:
Did you file a police report? If you would still like to file one, pls. email me. This will help the police if they break up an operation to have existing reports against them. It also allows them keep an eye on specific cars

I guess that's what I was getting at when I asked about which neighborhood. Most stories I've heard (here and elsewhere) about cars being cased/ jacked/ or have been put up on blocks... have been between 4th and 7th downtown, west of Jersey. (Of course my interest is selective).

Someone else mentioned Bay Street.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 10:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all!

Did you file a police report? If you would still like to file one, pls. email me. This will help the police if they break up an operation to have existing reports against them. It also allows them keep an eye on specific cars

THere's a captain's meeting on Tuesday, May 26th a t 7pm. Middle School #4 on Bright Street (near Varick).
Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/5/21 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robustus wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the tires (details...sigh).

...It's perfectly reasonable to pay >=$250/tire on a Civic ( lol )...

Whatever - enjoy your sweet ride; you sir will help spend this country out of recession quite nicely (assuming you're not financing your silly automotive expenditures with debt).

You forgot about the TPMS sensor too you tool. Thats the system which monitors the tire pressure. FYI: This is my second Honda, I drove my 98 Accord Coupe for 10 years without any major problem. I traded it in last year for $3000 and got this beauty. If you ever have the means, I highly reccomend picking one up. Or two.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 2:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/2/22 0:52
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the tires (details...sigh).

...It's perfectly reasonable to pay >=$250/tire on a Civic ( lol )...

Whatever - enjoy your sweet ride; you sir will help spend this country out of recession quite nicely (assuming you're not financing your silly automotive expenditures with debt).

Posted on: 2009/5/21 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robustus wrote:
Quote:

jmcee wrote:

I didn't put them on the car, Honda did, they are the stock wheels on a 2008 Civic Si Coupe.

You can easily get your stock wheels, new, on eBay for under $280 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Hon ... ccessories#ht_1332wt_1040

I'm sure there are other reasonable sources as well.

Why do people go to dealerships for anything that's not under warranty? Such a rip-off... If you're loaded, that's fine, otherwise it's either ignorance or laziness.

You don't know what your talking about obviously. Those aren't the stock wheels for 2008 Civic Si Coupe. Then there are the tires, Michelin MMX4 which are $250 each minimun. I got them from the dealer at very competitve prices, and when your car is sitting on a subwoofer who wants to wait for shipping. You sir are a moron.

Posted on: 2009/5/21 0:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:

I didn't put them on the car, Honda did, they are the stock wheels on a 2008 Civic Si Coupe.

You can easily get your stock wheels, new, on eBay for under $280 shipped:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Hon ... ccessories#ht_1332wt_1040

I'm sure there are other reasonable sources as well.

Why do people go to dealerships for anything that's not under warranty? Such a rip-off... If you're loaded, that's fine, otherwise it's either ignorance or laziness.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm moving to HP. I was debating whether to pay for parking or to try to park on the street which seems feasible. Thanks for reminding me that there's more to worry about with parking on the street than alternate side parking schedules.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Robustus wrote:
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
They got me a few weeks ago, they stole two wheels off my Honda Civic ... $1300 later I had my wheels back.

$1300 for two wheels? Why on earth would you put $650 wheels on a Civic?

A Bentley, perhaps.

I didn't put them on the car, Honda did, they are the stock wheels on a 2008 Civic Si Coupe. Check with your Bentley dealer, I think their wheels are a little more than $650 each.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 21:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
They got me a few weeks ago, they stole two wheels off my Honda Civic ... $1300 later I had my wheels back.

$1300 for two wheels? Why on earth would you put $650 wheels on a Civic?

A Bentley, perhaps.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 21:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alanwright wrote:
What neighborhood is that?

It was in the powerhouse district, on Bay St.

Posted on: 2009/5/20 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmcee wrote:
They got me a few weeks ago, they stole two wheels off my Honda Civic and left my car sitting on a subwoofer cabinet. It sat like that for two days before the cops alerted the manager of my building that they were going to tow it. The Honda dealer on 440 said they usually take all four wheels. $1300 later I had my wheels back.

What neighborhood is that?

Posted on: 2009/5/20 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
They got me a few weeks ago, they stole two wheels off my Honda Civic and left my car sitting on a subwoofer cabinet. It sat like that for two days before the cops alerted the manager of my building that they were going to tow it. The Honda dealer on 440 said they usually take all four wheels. $1300 later I had my wheels back.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
Hi all,

Sometime the night before last night, someone broken into my car and stole the distributor from the engine. Has this ever happened to anyone? I think that it was just kids who didn't have any money and were looking for this specific part to put on their car, but there is no way of knowing.

I'm puzzled because I'm reasonably sure that I had locked the car the night before (because I always do) and that it was locked when I got in yesterday morning. The mechanics wondered the same thing.

Anyway, no permanent damage has been made to the car, so despite the cost ($475) and annoyance, I got over it. But if there is something I can and should do to prevent this from happening again, I would.

Anyone? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Atsushi

The reason you probably didn't have damage is because the thieves popped open the windshield along the seem of the window. This is a flaw found in Hondas that car thieves exploit. They pull the window open enough to get there hand in the car to unlock the door. That is one of the many reasons Hondas are targeted so much, it doesn't usually damage the car. The thief probably simply unlocked the hood from inside the car then just rolled the window back and locked the door when he was done.

To help prevent the thief from trying that again if that is what happened install rain guards above the window. It makes it harder for a thief to try that. Honestly though you could try a number of things to make it harder to steal from or steal your car but if a thief is determined there is nothing you can do. Just make your car have as many layers of protection as possible to make it more likely the thief will just pick a easier target.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 23:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This part of the neighborhood must be a target.

A few years ago I saw a BMW or an Audi up on blocks. That was on either Monmouth or Coles between 5th and 6th. It may be a poorly lit area. I do not blame the Embankment for the lack of lighting. I blame the lack of lighting. If there is such an absence.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 23:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Wait... $475 for a Honda distributor? You didn't go to the stealership to get the replacement, did ya?

Posted on: 2009/5/17 16:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hippies used to do this at grateful dead and Phish shows. They are all driving around in old VW buses and parts are had to come by. My buddy had is entire exhaust removed while he was at a show.

Damn Dirty Hippies!!

Posted on: 2009/5/15 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 20:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jpmci wrote:
wow, stealing car parts is more than a one time thing. They also steal spare tires, and pretty soon you will go outside and see your car up on cinderblocks.
SO is there insurance for street theft? $475 would cover your deductible at least? no?
Okay if the police can't stop this, how about an unemployed entrepeneur who can stay up at night and guard cars? Ya pay dogsitters, how about carsitters? You and 20 neighbors pitch in and pay the sitter $10 a week, email your parking spot and your photo of you and your car, and somebody watches those 20 cars all night. you can only park on certain blocks, blah, blah, blah - any takers?

they do this in central and south america.. idk about overnight, but certainly for an hour or 2 when you park your car in the center of town. you pay a guy a couple of bucks and he'll "watch"your car. if you decide not to pay him, you can be sure something will be missing when you come back

Posted on: 2009/5/15 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Atsushi wrote:
.... someone broken into my car and stole the distributor from the engine. Has this ever happened to anyone? I think that it was just kids who didn't have any money and were looking for this specific part to put on their car, but there is no way of knowing. Atsushi

A few years ago, some jackass stole the igniter and distributor from my Toyota. I knew everyone in the neighborhood and felt that my car was targeted by someone local after a two failed attempts to steal my car days before it was vandalized. After some arm twisting, I confronted the individual who vandalized my car and asked him to pay for the damage... no questions asked. He refused and threatened me.

I filed a complaint at the police station, but nothing ever happened to the 19 yr old jackass.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but jackass' car was stripped after it was abandoned in Newark a month later. I didn't do it or intigate it, but it felt good.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 15:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/15 14:43
Group:
Registered Users
wow, stealing car parts is more than a one time thing. They also steal spare tires, and pretty soon you will go outside and see your car up on cinderblocks.
SO is there insurance for street theft? $475 would cover your deductible at least? no?
Okay if the police can't stop this, how about an unemployed entrepeneur who can stay up at night and guard cars? Ya pay dogsitters, how about carsitters? You and 20 neighbors pitch in and pay the sitter $10 a week, email your parking spot and your photo of you and your car, and somebody watches those 20 cars all night. you can only park on certain blocks, blah, blah, blah - any takers?

Posted on: 2009/5/15 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

But if there is something I can and should do to prevent this from happening again, I would.

Anyone? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Atsushi

Park next to similar cars and hope they go after them instead of you?

Posted on: 2009/5/15 13:49

Distributor stolen from Honda (Coles St. between 4th and 5th)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/8 21:51
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

Sometime the night before last night, someone broken into my car and stole the distributor from the engine. Has this ever happened to anyone? I think that it was just kids who didn't have any money and were looking for this specific part to put on their car, but there is no way of knowing.

I'm puzzled because I'm reasonably sure that I had locked the car the night before (because I always do) and that it was locked when I got in yesterday morning. The mechanics wondered the same thing.

Anyway, no permanent damage has been made to the car, so despite the cost ($475) and annoyance, I got over it. But if there is something I can and should do to prevent this from happening again, I would.

Anyone? Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Atsushi

Posted on: 2009/5/15 13:37

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact