Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
84 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Runoff - Wards A and F will have a second election on June 9.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 17:43
Group:
Registered Users
With regards to Richardson just seems like different name same story. Too bad, he seemed like a bright guy who would be an indepenent voice.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 14:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
The run-off elections for Council are incredibly difficult, especially for challengers, who need to maintain cohesion and then also build a coalition in just four weeks. "Voter fatigue" is palpable in J.C.; this was the 4th spring election day in 8 weeks. [Board of Ed; municipal; NJ primary; run-off.]

In fact, both of the challengers performed better, relatively speaking, than the Team Healy incumbents, comparing May 12th's results to June 9th's: Mike Sottolano was minus-15% (2,094, dropping to 1,776), and Viola Richardson was minus-26% (1,752, dropping to 1,303). Despite their HCDO manpower and monetary advantages, they lost ground.

In Ward A, Rolando Lavarro expanded his votes by 4% (1,281, increasing to 1,331). Somehow, he kept his supporters aware and engaged, and got them to go the polls, yet again. As well, in Ward F, Ron-Calvin Clark improved his results by 15% (670, increasing to 767).

Of course, neither challenger succeeded in their ultimate aim, which was/is heart-breaking, but they both performed very well. And they made the HCDO spend time and resources ($$$$) to retain the pre-existing status quo.

As for Andre Richardson -- a strong Council challenger in Ward A, who placed third on May 12th, just behind Lavarro -- he has long been wooed by the administration, and offered a series of possible positions. But, on principle, he has declined every offer thus far. [The Mayor's Action Bureau job offer was actually made in 2008, and declined.]

Disappointingly, Mr. Richardson was unable (for compelling, if personal, reasons) to become a public advocate for Lavarro in the four weeks before the run-off. Gratifyingly, he and Lavarro spoke at Lavarro's headquarters on Tuesday night. Here is hoping that both of these good men are committed to public service, together, in Jersey City, going forward.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I hear Andre Richardson who came in third was just Hired by Healy for 55,000 to work the Mayors Action bureau.
So much for being independent.He could have won this election for Lavarro if he had got behind him.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 5:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/10 19:04
Group:
Registered Users
With it this close, it almost says the old regime is getting close to being replaced with some new fresh thinking and more productive blood.

Posted on: 2009/6/10 5:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/14 17:57
From McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
+1!

Kudos to Rolando and his hard-working team!

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

Rolando Lavarro is a wonderful person and should be very proud of his results.

+2

Posted on: 2009/6/10 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
+1!

Kudos to Rolando and his hard-working team!

Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

pchops wrote:
Rolando Lavarro was so close! For an independent, he did extremely well. I'm still hoping that there are more votes to be counted.

Jersey City Ward A Council
34/34 100.00%
Vote Count Percent
- Michael J. Sottolano 1,776 57.16%
- Rolando R. Lavarro, Jr. 1,331 42.84%
Total 3,107 100.00%

Jersey City Ward F Council
32/33 96.97%
Vote Count Percent
- Viola S. Richardson 1,303 62.95%
- Ronnie-Calvin Clark 767 37.05%
Total 2,070 100.00%

Posted on: 2009/6/10 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pchops wrote:
Rolando Lavarro was so close! For an independent, he did extremely well. I'm still hoping that there are more votes to be counted.

34/34 100.00%
Vote Count Percent
Total 3,107 100.00%

32/33 96.97%
Vote Count Percent
Total 2,070 100.00%

Posted on: 2009/6/10 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users

34/34 100.00%
Vote Count Percent
Total 3,107 100.00%

32/33 96.97%
Vote Count Percent
Total 2,070 100.00%

Posted on: 2009/6/10 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Ward A & F Voters choose tomorrow in runoffs

==================
Bergen-Lafayette voters choose Clark or Richardson in Ward F runoff

ONCE AGAIN TO THE POLLS
Clark versus Richardson in Ward F runoff

Monday, June 08, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Bergen-Lafayette area voters will be asked to head once again to the polls tomorrow - this time to choose who will represent Ward F.

Two-term incumbent Councilwoman Viola Richardson came in first with 1,742 votes in the May 12 election. But with only 39.29 percent, she failed to cross the 50 percent mark, which would have returned her to the council.

She faces Ronnie-Calvin Clark, who, with 670 votes, or 15.03 percent, squeaked into second-place ahead of candidate La Vern Webb-Washington.

Richardson, a retired police officer, is running on her record, touting the city's recently enacted apprentice program, affordable housing that has come to Bergen-Lafayette, an increase in cops since she's been in office and the reinstitution of a program that helps former prison inmates find jobs.

Clark is pastor of Anointed Gospel Christian Center Church, is a board member of the United Way and is a past member of the Jersey City Board of Education. He is running on the ticket of former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, who came in second in last month's mayoral election.

Clark says he will push for more recreational programs in Ward F, paid for in part by requiring developers to donate to a "recreational trust fund." He also says he'll be accessible to residents, not only through offices at City Hall and Ward F, but also through a Web site and community meetings.

"In my first six months, I would make sure that I meet with every block association president and non-profit association in Ward F to hear their issues," he said.

Although far more voters chose Richardson last time, Clark says he believes he has the edge in this go-around because more than 60 percent of the voters voted against her.

"The people want change; they have called for change," he said. "The message that was ringing through Ward F was 'Anyone but Viola.'"

Richardson, running on Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy's ticket, sees a different message in the May 12 election results.

"I won almost 3-to-1 against most of the candidates running against me," she said. "I think they made their choice clear."
===================================

Ward A race pits two who want change

Monday, June 08, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

In tomorrow's Jersey City City Council runoff election in Ward A, both candidates are running on slogans of - you guessed it - "change."

Incumbent Michael Sottolano, whose slogan is "Change You Can See," is running on his record, saying that since he took office four years ago fire and senior services have improved, more affordable housing has been built and the city has also made improvements in fighting crime.

"It shows that not only are we willing to address the problem, but also that we are (already) addressing the problem," said Sottolano, who is running on Mayor Jerramiah Healy's ticket.

Sottolano, 66, came in first on May 12 with 2,084 votes, or 39 percent. His challenger, Rolando Lavarro, came in second with 1,277 votes, or about 24 percent. (These counts do not include provisional ballots.)

Sottolano's biggest edge might come from third-place finisher Andre Richardson, who garnered 1,244 votes and has recently been campaigning for Sottolano.

Lavarro, who is running on former Assemblyman Louis Manzo's ticket, has the campaign slogan of "Change to Believe in."

"We want to bring an end to business-as-usual in Jersey City and bring some fresh new ideas in collaboration with the community to solve our problems," he said.

Lavarro, 38, who would be the first Filipino-American elected to the City Council, is a grant writer at New Jersey City University.

Endorsed by former mayoral candidate Dan Levin and his "One Jersey City" slate, Lavarro's platform is transparency and community involvement in politics.

"I was raised by my family and the community and family of Jersey City," he said. "We want to rebuild that sense of community, which has been lost over the years."

Lavarro said the results from May 12 make clear that people are ready for a change. "The turnout was low, but over 60 percent of the people that did vote, voted for someone else other than Sottolano," he said.

Polls are open tomorrow from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ward A & F Voters choose tomorrow in runoffs

==================
Bergen-Lafayette voters choose Clark or Richardson in Ward F runoff

ONCE AGAIN TO THE POLLS
Clark versus Richardson in Ward F runoff

Monday, June 08, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Bergen-Lafayette area voters will be asked to head once again to the polls tomorrow - this time to choose who will represent Ward F.

Two-term incumbent Councilwoman Viola Richardson came in first with 1,742 votes in the May 12 election. But with only 39.29 percent, she failed to cross the 50 percent mark, which would have returned her to the council.

She faces Ronnie-Calvin Clark, who, with 670 votes, or 15.03 percent, squeaked into second-place ahead of candidate La Vern Webb-Washington.

Richardson, a retired police officer, is running on her record, touting the city's recently enacted apprentice program, affordable housing that has come to Bergen-Lafayette, an increase in cops since she's been in office and the reinstitution of a program that helps former prison inmates find jobs.

Clark is pastor of Anointed Gospel Christian Center Church, is a board member of the United Way and is a past member of the Jersey City Board of Education. He is running on the ticket of former Assemblyman Louis Manzo, who came in second in last month's mayoral election.

Clark says he will push for more recreational programs in Ward F, paid for in part by requiring developers to donate to a "recreational trust fund." He also says he'll be accessible to residents, not only through offices at City Hall and Ward F, but also through a Web site and community meetings.

"In my first six months, I would make sure that I meet with every block association president and non-profit association in Ward F to hear their issues," he said.

Although far more voters chose Richardson last time, Clark says he believes he has the edge in this go-around because more than 60 percent of the voters voted against her.

"The people want change; they have called for change," he said. "The message that was ringing through Ward F was 'Anyone but Viola.'"

Richardson, running on Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy's ticket, sees a different message in the May 12 election results.

"I won almost 3-to-1 against most of the candidates running against me," she said. "I think they made their choice clear."
===================================

Ward A race pits two who want change

Monday, June 08, 2009
By AMY SARA CLARK
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

In tomorrow's Jersey City City Council runoff election in Ward A, both candidates are running on slogans of - you guessed it - "change."

Incumbent Michael Sottolano, whose slogan is "Change You Can See," is running on his record, saying that since he took office four years ago fire and senior services have improved, more affordable housing has been built and the city has also made improvements in fighting crime.

"It shows that not only are we willing to address the problem, but also that we are (already) addressing the problem," said Sottolano, who is running on Mayor Jerramiah Healy's ticket.

Sottolano, 66, came in first on May 12 with 2,084 votes, or 39 percent. His challenger, Rolando Lavarro, came in second with 1,277 votes, or about 24 percent. (These counts do not include provisional ballots.)

Sottolano's biggest edge might come from third-place finisher Andre Richardson, who garnered 1,244 votes and has recently been campaigning for Sottolano.

Lavarro, who is running on former Assemblyman Louis Manzo's ticket, has the campaign slogan of "Change to Believe in."

"We want to bring an end to business-as-usual in Jersey City and bring some fresh new ideas in collaboration with the community to solve our problems," he said.

Lavarro, 38, who would be the first Filipino-American elected to the City Council, is a grant writer at New Jersey City University.

Endorsed by former mayoral candidate Dan Levin and his "One Jersey City" slate, Lavarro's platform is transparency and community involvement in politics.

"I was raised by my family and the community and family of Jersey City," he said. "We want to rebuild that sense of community, which has been lost over the years."

Lavarro said the results from May 12 make clear that people are ready for a change. "The turnout was low, but over 60 percent of the people that did vote, voted for someone else other than Sottolano," he said.

Polls are open tomorrow from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/22 3:11
Group:
Registered Users
I support Mike Sottolano for reelection. Mike is smart, tough and knows City government and it's operations better than any other City Council member. Mike worked for 30+ years in the City's Information Technology Division and is an accomplished professional. He knows the City's tax assessment, tax collection and human resource systems and procedures inside and out.

Mike is also a contributor to the community. He's very active in his parish and coaches baseball at Hudson Catholic.

Vote for Iron Mike !

Posted on: 2009/5/21 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I am also supporting Rolando Lavarro in the run-off election for Ward A Council and will be campaigning on his behalf.

More to come .....

Dan

Posted on: 2009/5/21 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Downtown and I do care who wins other Council seats that may give concerns on green space, use of abatements outside of downtown, and honest politics.

For this reason, I am supporting Rolando Lavarro who is a community activist that I have had the pleasure of working with. He is honest and by the book. He does not work for the city. He has attended the Downtown JC Watch patrol to learn skills that he can apply to other areas such as the Martin Luther King Blvd. (was his target area which by the way is not his ward).

He has been at Board of Education meetings hoping that they would grant a research proposal he proposed on behalf of a National organization on Drug prevention.

He has urged me to learn the code of ethics on Community Organization...thus I call him "honest and by the book".

I am not saying that he will save the Embankment with Fulop but I do believe that he will listen and see how our green space affects his green space by Rt.440.

He is nobody's yes man...and he certainly will let us know why he disagrees with us on issues. He's smart, sensible, and wants to build a better Jersey City.

So please, if you can join us for a Meet and Greet in Downtown, pls. email me!!!

Thanks!

Posted on: 2009/5/21 5:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/19 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
I am a downtown resident and I do care about the other wards. After all, Jersey City does not start and end in 07302. I volunteer for Rolando Lavarro's campaign. He has a website www.rolandolavarro.com and a Facebook page as well http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rolando-Lavarro/51926933813?ref=mf

I found a press release about his candidacy on the web - http://www.jcregister.com/2009/02/11/ ... -a-campaign-kick-off.html

I hope this helps.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 22:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/12 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Who says one vote dont count?

Posted on: 2009/5/17 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Runoffs on June 9th:

Ward A:
Incumbent Councilman Michael Sottolano
vs
Rolando Lavarro Jr.

Ward F:
Incumbent Councilwoman Viola Richardson
vs
Ronnie-Calvin Clark.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 13:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Does 07302 care who the Councilpersons are in other Wards? If so, who do people want to win in these races? Answers that go beyond 'Healy and his people are terrible, therefore I want the other guy' would be greatly appreciated.

I know virtually nothing about the challengers is why I'm asking.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 8:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Webb-Washington misses Ward F runoff by one vote; in Ward A it's Sottolano vs. Lavarro

by Amy Sara Clark / The Jersey Journal
Thursday May 14, 2009, 2:51 PM

Incumbent Councilwoman Viola Richardson will face Ronnie-Calvin Clark in the Ward F runoff election. La Vern Webb-Washington lost the second place slot by one vote, according to Michael Harper of the Hudson County Board of Elections.

After the regular absentee ballots were counted Tuesday, Webb-Washington was trailing Clark by three votes. Today the provisional ballots were counted, tightening the lead to one vote, Harper said.

In Ward A, the runoff will be between incumbent Councilman Michael Sottolano and Rolando Lavarro Jr., of the Manzo Team. Independent Andre Richardson missed the runoff by 30 votes.

Posted on: 2009/5/15 11:06

Runoff - Wards A and F will have a second election on June 9.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
For 4 - which 4? - it's not over

Thursday, May 14, 2009

The election may be over for most candidates, but for at least four, it's still going on.

While the frontrunners for the at-large and wards B, C, D and E seats gained enough votes to avoid a runoff, the top two candidates in wards A and F will have a second election on June 9.

But who those candidates are is still up in the air.

In Ward A, Councilman Michael Sottolano, who ran on Mayor Jerramiah Healy's ticket, received 2,084 votes - or 39.3 percent - well short of the majority needed to avoid a runoff.

Rolando Lavarro Jr., who ran on former Assemblyman Louis Manzo's ticket, came in second, with 1,277 votes, but third place Andre Richardson, an independent, trailed by just 33 votes.

The 43 provisional ballots for Ward A are still being counted, so it's possible - if unlikely - that Richardson could nose ahead.

"Being down 33, it's definitely a tough pill to swallow," said Richardson. "But it just shows people there's at least 1,300 people who believe in me and my message."

The provisional ballot results should be available by the end of the week.

In Ward F, the outcome is even less certain. There, Ronnie-Calvin Clark, of the Manzo ticket, who received 666 votes, is just three votes ahead of independent La Vern Webb-Washington in the race to see who squares off against incumbent Viola Richardson. There are 41 provisional ballots in Ward F, Byrne said.

Richardson, who received 1,742 votes - or 39.6 percent - said, "I'm going to campaign as though this was the first time. This is what I do."

Webb-Washington did not return phone calls requesting comment. Clark and Lavarro are sure the incumbents will lose.

"If you add up all the votes that all of us have, you'll see that there's a call for change," said Clark.

"I know there was low voter turnout citywide, but in Ward A there was a higher than normal turnout," said Lavarro. "The message we brought to people on the streets and door to door is resonating."

Sottolano said that he's already gearing up for the second go-round.

AMY SARA CLARK

Posted on: 2009/5/14 11:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017