Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: PRO-ACTIVE ON CRIME Veteran cop vows new approaches to city's ills

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/17 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
no disrespect taken. webb is a nice enough fellow but i was referring to the profile itself, which quoted bret schundler, an irrelevant political observer is ever there was one! it's more about the lame JJ reporting nowadays.

Posted on: 2009/5/10 15:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/26 14:02
Group:
Registered Users
super_furry wrote:
The title should be:
PRO-ACTIVE ON CRIME Veteran cop vows new approaches to city's ills

With all due respect withharvey, you are entitled to your opinion, but most people I talked to seem to think Phil Webb is a good guy. The article and his bio on his site seem to echo the same
http://philwebbforjerseycity.com/

Posted on: 2009/5/8 20:27

Re: "Harvey became a political hound," Phillip G. Webb charges...
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/19 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Both Webb and Smith are hacks. They are products of the same political culture. The idea that they are reformers is laughable.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 18:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/17 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
here's another example of crappy journal reporting. everyone knows webb is the race spoiler and that, in the good old days, he would have been called the "dummy candidate," the guy who was paid to run to siphon votes from someone else.

and using a quote from schundler, webb's back seat driver?

jeez!

Posted on: 2009/5/8 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The title should be:

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
RACES FOR CITY HALL
PRO-ACTIVE ON CRIME
Veteran cop vows new approaches to city's ills

Friday, May 08, 2009
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Nearly 30 years ago, Jersey City's Phillip G. Webb faced a career crossroads. He was already supporting his first wife and two kids, and there was another baby on the way, and Webb, then a social worker, said he was having trouble keeping a job.

After Richard Nixon was elected president, money for social services dried up, Webb said, adding, "I lost three jobs in one year."

Encouraged by Glenn D. Cunningham, later Jersey City mayor, but then a recruiter for the Jersey City Police Department, Webb passed the police exam.

Now 60, married for a second time and with seven adult children, Webb has been a cop for 29 years - the last 15 as a detective in the West District.

And he's eyeing another career change.

"I see problems that aren't being addressed," Webb said during an interview at his Marion section home, explaining his candidacy for mayor.

"We had 50,000 arrests here in Jersey City the last four years. . And we are not instituting any type of holistic approach to address that. We just come from the punitive point of view."

Webb said his experience as a police officer reinforced beliefs he held as a social worker:

Direction and opportunity helps young men avoid crime, and drug addicts need treatment, not a locked cell.

Even as cop, he said, he helped run a nighttime basketball program, until it became "a political football."

If elected, Webb pledges to establish stress management, sensitivity training and fitness programs for police officers.

He wants to create a volunteer Mayor's Executive Council to represent the city's diverse populations and generate policy.
Advertisement

And he intends to start more recreational programs.

A bear of a man at 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, Webb worked for nine years as the police bodyguard for former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler and played the same role for Assemblyman and former Acting Mayor Harvey Smith, who is also running for mayor in the May 12 election.

Webb and Smith were close.

They grew up in the same Greenville neighborhood.

They played on the same basketball team at Snyder High.

But Webb had harsh words for his former "hangout partner."

"Harvey became a political hound," Webb charged.

"And he broke unity with Glenn Cunningham . and he did it to side with the political machinery."

Smith said Webb's comments are "bogus" since Webb supported him "all the way down the line."

"I don't know where he is going with this, but it is quite disingenuous," Smith added.

Schundler had kinder words for Webb, who is also studying to be a minister.

"He is smart, he is articulate, he loves Jersey City," Schundler said about Webb.

"And I do think he had a lot of opportunities to see the things we were doing during my administration."

Posted on: 2009/5/8 14:42

"Harvey became a political hound," Phillip G. Webb charges...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
RACES FOR CITY HALL
PRO-ACTIVE ON CRIME
Veteran cop vows new approaches to city's ills

Friday, May 08, 2009
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Nearly 30 years ago, Jersey City's Phillip G. Webb faced a career crossroads. He was already supporting his first wife and two kids, and there was another baby on the way, and Webb, then a social worker, said he was having trouble keeping a job.

After Richard Nixon was elected president, money for social services dried up, Webb said, adding, "I lost three jobs in one year."

Encouraged by Glenn D. Cunningham, later Jersey City mayor, but then a recruiter for the Jersey City Police Department, Webb passed the police exam.

Now 60, married for a second time and with seven adult children, Webb has been a cop for 29 years - the last 15 as a detective in the West District.

And he's eyeing another career change.

"I see problems that aren't being addressed," Webb said during an interview at his Marion section home, explaining his candidacy for mayor.

"We had 50,000 arrests here in Jersey City the last four years. . And we are not instituting any type of holistic approach to address that. We just come from the punitive point of view."

Webb said his experience as a police officer reinforced beliefs he held as a social worker:

Direction and opportunity helps young men avoid crime, and drug addicts need treatment, not a locked cell.

Even as cop, he said, he helped run a nighttime basketball program, until it became "a political football."

If elected, Webb pledges to establish stress management, sensitivity training and fitness programs for police officers.

He wants to create a volunteer Mayor's Executive Council to represent the city's diverse populations and generate policy.
Advertisement

And he intends to start more recreational programs.

A bear of a man at 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, Webb worked for nine years as the police bodyguard for former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler and played the same role for Assemblyman and former Acting Mayor Harvey Smith, who is also running for mayor in the May 12 election.

Webb and Smith were close.

They grew up in the same Greenville neighborhood.

They played on the same basketball team at Snyder High.

But Webb had harsh words for his former "hangout partner."

"Harvey became a political hound," Webb charged.

"And he broke unity with Glenn Cunningham . and he did it to side with the political machinery."

Smith said Webb's comments are "bogus" since Webb supported him "all the way down the line."

"I don't know where he is going with this, but it is quite disingenuous," Smith added.

Schundler had kinder words for Webb, who is also studying to be a minister.

"He is smart, he is articulate, he loves Jersey City," Schundler said about Webb.

"And I do think he had a lot of opportunities to see the things we were doing during my administration."

Posted on: 2009/5/8 12:55

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017