Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
138 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Embankment - Where do the candidates stand?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/5/7 16:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/2 20:19
Group:
Registered Users
longest post ever

Posted on: 2009/5/7 16:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: [quote] StevenFulop wrote: Through the campaign, I have tried to stay away from the politics of JCList as we have tried to take the approach not engaging in politically motivated posts however, this is an issue that is important to the ward and important to me personally. My support of the Embankment preservation as open space is something that I feel my record speaks clearly too. 1) Over the last 4 years my track record in supporting the preservation of open space is without blemish on legislative initiatives. Furthermore, I can say that I have been amongst the largest advocates and most vocal supporter at every juncture when funding is necessary from the council to secure the preservation of the embankment. Often the other members of the council push back but the record kept by the city clerk is very clear on this. I would urge anyone who has question to view the voting records on this and the dialog amongst council members. 2) I have been the ONLY member of the council or administration to submit formal comments to the Surface Transportation Board in support of the embankment coalition to date. Again, this is public record for anyone who has questions to view 3) Over the past 4 years, I have been the only member of the council to proactively sponsor legislation to protect the embankment via abandonment checklist process that the developer fought in court and spent $250k to defeat. 4) When the administration changed their view from complete open space to lightrail/small open space on the embankment, I was the ONLY councilperson to stand firm that complete open space is the best option If there are questions on any of these points, I would urge posters to view the records or ask the board of the EPC. Although, the political season is in full swing with misinformation, I thank those who started this thread as it has given me the opportunity to speak to the facts and the record here on an issue that is important to me and the city. Over the next four years, I will continue to be the strongest independent voice on the council as am advocate for the EPC and open space. Sincerely Steven Fulop Your email distribution list consists of thousands people citywide. Since you are telling everyone here you support the EPC 100% there should be no issue sending out the mass email calling upon everyone to support the EPC and send the comments in to the STB since the deadline is May 7th. I just sent you a copy of the action alert the EPC sent out today just in case it was read and deleted already. This is a paragraph from that email: "The Harsimus Branch is as important to Jersey City's future as it was to its past. The STB should authorize a full environmental impact statement for the Branch, so decision-makers have the best information available to them. Write whatever you like about the environmental effects of abandonment and demolition. Please do not delay! STB needs to know you care how its decision-making affects you" YOU are the Councilperson for Ward E and this should be one of your top priorities.
You're partly right pink, as the preservation of the Embankment should not just be "one of your top priorities" for Steven Fulop as Councilperson for Ward E, but for every candidate in Jersey City, especially Mayor Healy. The potential economic impact of preservation of the Embankment makes it a top priority not only due to it's historical significance, and open space significance, but also as it's inclusion in the proposed Greenway Alliance that extends for 3,000 miles from Maine to Florida, provides city, state, regional and national significance for Jersey City as far as generating tourism dollars. Any serious candidate for municipal office, whether Catrillo, Healy, or Healy's slate of candidates should look to the importance that Dan Levin and Councilman Steven Fulop have placed on the Embankment being a "top priority". And as I , super_furry and others pointed out here what Councilman Fulop has done working with the EPC towards protection and preservation of the Embankment, was further given evidence when Fulop['s newsletter that I mentioned was coming soon, was sent to his constituents asking just as you demanded above: Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: Your email distribution list consists of thousands people citywide. Since you are telling everyone here you support the EPC 100% there should be no issue sending out the mass email calling upon everyone to support the EPC and send the comments in to the STB since the deadline is May 7th. (NOTE:bold my emphasis)
So for anyone who questioned Fulop's "committment" to the Embankment or didn't receive Steven Fulop's newsletter, below is the full text of same. Fulop's continued support for open space and the preservation of the Embankment constitutes one reason among many to vote to re-elect Councilman Steven Fulop, for Ward E Councilman on Tuesday, May 12th. Quote:
SPRING 2009 WARD "E" UPDATE Greetings, I hope this update finds you enjoying the warm weather. As I have done for the last four years on a quarterly basis, I wanted to take this opportunity to send you a brief update on some of the accomplishments in Ward ?E?. While I try and touch on some of the bigger events and most common concerns you have had, this is by no means a comprehensive list. If there is a specific issue that you would like addressed, please feel free to contact my office. Sincerely, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Section 1 ? Open Space Section 2 ? Legislation Section 3 ? Infrastructure and Streetscapes Section 4 ? General Section 5 ? Did you know? Section 6 ? Constituent feedback requests Section 7 ? Important upcoming dates ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ OPEN SPACE UPDATES[/size] The Embankment: Make Your Voice Count! Take a Moment for green space! http://www.embankment.org/whitesite/FilingEnviroCommentsSTB1.html Deadline is May 7th and this only takes 2-4 minutes to complete! Activists have been working with the City of Jersey City to preserve the historic Harsimus Embankment and a longer part of the old Harsimus Branch freight way for light rail, habitat-oriented park, and a key segment of the East Coast Greenway, a walking and bicycling off-road trail from Maine to Florida. Let the federal Surface Transportation Board, which is making important decisions about the future of this right-of-way, know how abandonment and demolition of the Harsimus Branch will affect you. It's easy to file a comment at the STB web site: 1. Go to Surface Transportation Board comment site 2. On the form, in the first four boxes, enter the Docket No.: AB 167 1189 X . 3. Enter your contact information and comment and click Submit. If you have only a minute, say something like, "I ask you to please authorize a full environmental impact statement for the Harsimus Branch." If you have more time, see the Embankment Preservation Coalition's guidelines for comments. Visit the Embankment Preservation Coalition?s web site and join them on Face Book. Hamilton Park Renovation: The renovation for Hamilton Park started on April 30th. This is a project that we have worked on with the administration for four years to make sure that Ward "E" has another showcase park. I would like to commend The Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association, which has worked tirelessly to keep the neighborhood informed. You can keep updated by visiting their blog and signing up for their email list. If you have specific questions or concerns please feel free to send me an email and I will be sure to get you the information you need. View the plans. Long Slip Walkway: This 175-foot-long, 30-foot-wide pedestrian bridge will span the Long Slip Canal to connect the nearby Newport section of Jersey City with Hoboken Terminal, providing pedestrians with a direct path to light rail, commuter rail, bus, PATH and ferry services. The construction started last summer and is now scheduled to be completed in June 2009. Connect the Parks: We want to make you aware of an important community initiative called ?connect the parks? that has been driven by a dedicated group of community volunteers in downtown. The goal is to create an integrated plan between several city and community parks that will create a world-class opportunity for open space with views of NYC, the Statue of Liberty, recreational space, passive space, and dog runs. The community group has raised close to $100k and has worked with one of the most distinguished landscape architects in the world to create the final design that was presented to the city. Completion of this first and important step will not only be a benefit for Ward "E" but to the whole city and speaks to the strength of community involvement. I have linked to some initial drawings for your review. To find out more about Jersey City Waterfront Parks Conservancy and all that they do for the community: http://www.jcwpc.org/ LEGISLATION Animal control ordinances:On April 6th at the City Council meeting, I introduced two ordinances dealing with the animal control division of Jersey City. One ordinance would create the new position of Animal Control Ombudsman in the Mayor?s Action Bureau and the other would create Jersey City Animal Control Commission for the City Council. Working with outside counsel and several animal advocate groups in Jersey City, these ordinances were carefully crafted following the dumping of a domesticated cat in Lincoln Park. What developed from this incident was a huge community outcry for a more accountable animal control division. Using the recommendation by a subcommittee of the Council and the Liberty Humane Society rendered two years ago, but never implemented, I proposed two pro-active ordinances that I believe will not only create better accountability, but create a better supported and more knowledgeable animal control division. As members of the animal advocate community will have a greater voice in sharing their knowledge and resources with the City Council, as well as having a dedicated individual in the Mayor?s Action Bureau to respond quickly to incidents, these ordinances will go a long way towards restoring public faith in how our animal population is cared for in Jersey City. Both ordinances are currently being reviewed by the City?s legal department. I have obtained outside Counsel and am certain that these ordinances meet the legal requirements. I find it essential that the animal control commission remain open to appointments by the City Council, not just the mayor, and although willing to compromise on the number of those appointed to the commission, will hold fast to the need for the number of those appointed to the Commission not be outnumbered by City employees. You can read more here: Jersey Journal article Hudson Reporter article Jersey City Independent article INFRASTRUCTURE AND STREETSCAPES Newark Ave Redevelopment: The Newark Ave streetscape renovation has started. The renovation will take several months to complete and I recognize that there will be some inconveniences. However, this transformation is vital to creating a pedestrian-friendly commercial center along Newark Avenue. The renovation will cost $1.533 million dollars and will include new historic lighting, sidewalks, bike racks, benches, crosswalks and Mercado Plaza (the corner of Newark and Jersey Ave.). This project is a promising transformation for the future of Downtown, coupled with the City's final sale of the Employment and Training building located at the eastern end of Newark Avenue, which will anchor the renovation. Jersey Avenue Improvements: The Jersey Avenue Streetscape improvements are underway. We have worked with the community for the past five months to make this a reality and took the approach here that a massive improvement for the long term can be made with a targeted spending approach. Working with the community and administration, we will be adding 50 trees to Jersey Ave., as well as adding garbage cans to many corners to create a cleaner environment along our heavily walked streets. As we complete Jersey Ave our focus, with a similar goal for greening, will be targeted to the "Village Area" of Ward "E" located to the West of Jersey Ave and north of Newark Ave. We have started the process of targeting funding for the community and working with the neighborhood groups to make this happen. Traffic Lights update: 2nd & Marin? This intersection has been studied and determined to qualify for a traffic light. 9th & Marin ? This is in the works and funding needs to be approved. State procedures for lights are strict, but I am pushing and we will see this light go up in 2010. Christopher Columbus & Warren - This is near completion. This light will be made live in the next month or two. Grand & Barrow ? This light is still hitting road blocks that I hope will be cleared in the coming week. Montgomery & Warren - This is even closer to completion and will be made live in the next 30-45 days, barring any unforeseen complications. Road Resurfacing: This is a list of roads within Ward ?E? designated to be resurfaced this year. If you do not live in Ward ?E?, but would like to know which roads are to be repaved in your ward, please contact my office and we will provide you with a list. LIST OF STREETS TO BE RESURFACED FulopRepavedStreets [b]*Milling and Paving must be done during night time. GENERAL CCTV:[/b] The final phase to spend 3.9 million dollars for new Street Facing Security Cameras is soon to be voted on by the City Council. The largest portion of these cameras are allocated to Ward "E" with a total of 28 highest quality cameras. We are starting the early phases of these cameras on the busiest roads with the eventual goal of increasing the number substantially in most of the ward, including in parks. The locations for the new cameras that have been approved are as follows: Grand Street [at Jersey Ave., Monmouth St., Barrow St. (288-294 Grand), & Old Colony Lot] Grove Street [at Grand St., Bay St., First St., York St., Montgomery St., Mercer St., & Christopher Columbus Dr.] Jersey Avenue [at Wayne St., Christopher Columbus Dr., & Montgomery St.] Marin Drive [at Christopher Columbus Dr., Montgomery St., & Grand St.] Montgomery Street [at Baldwin Ave., Florence St., Center St., and 358-370 (JC Museum)] Newark Avenue[at Grove St., Erie St., Bay St., Jersey Ave., Coles St., Monmouth St., & Brunswick St.] Backflow preventers: In the past six months letters went out to multiple housing units and several businesses across the City informing them that they would be inspected to make sure their buildings were up to code by way of having the right backflow preventer. This letter was very confusing and scary as it lacked details. In late March I held a public meeting with representatives from the MUA and the Office of Construction Code in attendance. More than 50 very concerned residents showed up and we began the process of figuring out what the safety standard was and how to tackle this issue. I felt that the MUA was setting a standard much higher than necessary, causing an undue financial burden to the owners of these businesses and homes. After several meetings between the Office of Construction Code and the Municipal Utilities Authority, I got them to send an updated letter with specific citations of the codes and law along with a link to the listing for qualified inspectors to determine whether buildings met the safety standards. In addition, I had them grant a 90 day extension period for owners to comply with the code. I believe that the safety standard is fair and that many of those receiving letters already meet this standard. The Office of Construction Code has designated Joe Mazzone, Plumbing Subcode Official, your contact person should you have more specific questions on how and whether you are in compliance. Mr. Mazzone can be reached at 201-547-5048 or jmazzone@jcnj.org. Municipal budget & taxes: I conveyed in my last update my concern on the tardiness of the passing of the municipal budget and its potential financial impact to our City. In an effort to keep you abreast of the financial situation, which directly affects your finances, I would like to make you aware of the fact that 10 months into the fiscal year the budget has still not been passed. I have been the lone voice on the Council conveying the impact that this can have. It is imperative, as renters and owners, that you are aware as this is your money and your representation. This Thursday (May 7th) there will be a public hearing on the newly revised budget. This meeting will be held at 6 p.m. in Council Chambers, 280 Grove Street. I will send out more information on the budget later this week. Education: The Board of Education election was April 21st. I would like to publicly thank former Mayor Anthony R. Cucci for his service to the board over the last 9 years. Anthony Cucci was crucial part of returning the Jersey City Public Schools back to local control. His dedication and relentless battle to improving the public school system does not go unnoticed. There are many challenges ahead in the near term and I can?t stress enough the importance of everyone?s involvement in this process. If you have any specific questions or would like to know how to become more involved, please feel free to reach out to me. DID YOU KNOW? The Jersey City Free Public Library: The Library offers many services including workshops, crafts, and films and even offers members access to electronic resources from their homes. Of particular interest is the reopening of the newly renovated Vinzenzo Domenico Bonetti II Children?s room of the Main Library. Please visit your local library and become a member if you are not already. It is easy and it is free! http://www.jclibrary.org/ United Water flushing hydrants: United Water will flush fire hydrants throughout Jersey City between April and June. This is necessary to improve water quality by removing harmless minerals that have accumulated in the water mains and will also help ensure that the fire hydrants are working properly. Find out more Feral Cat initiative: The Neighborhood Feral Cat Initiative is a new program offered by Companion Animal Trust, Inc., a New Jersey non-profit animal welfare organization located in Jersey City. The mission of the Initiative is to raise public awareness about the feral cat crisis in our community and provide practical ways to deal with the issue through free Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) training workshops to residents of Hudson County. The remaining 2009 workshops will be held from 12 noon to 3pm in Downtown Jersey City on the following dates: May 9, June 13, July 11, August 8, September 26, October 17, November 14 and December 12. Reservations are required. Contact workshop@neighborhoodferalcat.org or call (201) 884 9649. For more information see their website at www.neighborhoodferalcat.org. CONSTIUENT FEEDBACK Abandoned Buildings: I thank those of you who have already submitted the addresses of abandoned buildings in your neighborhood. Often the best feedback is from the community. My office is maintaining a list of addresses and comments to submit to the administration so the process can be started in getting these buildings corrected. Abandoned buildings are a blight on the community. They affect property values and render the neighborhood less safe. The sooner we identify these properties, the better. If there are additional addresses in Ward "E" please let me know and they will be added to the list. Upcoming Meetings/Events [b]May 6, 2009 ? Researching Home Histories workshop at the Main Library (6-8 p.m.) May 7, 2009 ? Deadline for submitting comments on The Embankment to the Surface Transportation Board May 7, 2009 ? Special Council meeting on the Municipal Budget (starts at 6 p.m.) May 9, 2009 ? Van Vorst Park Flea Market Fundraiser (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) May 12, 2009 - Municipal election (polls are open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.) b]May 16, 2009[/b] - Everything Jersey City Festival May 17, 2009 ?HPHA 1st Annual All-You-Can-Eat Pancake Breakfast (9 a.m. ? Noon) May 30-31, 2009 - The Village Neighborhood Association?s ?Village Weekend? find out more http://jcvillage.org/ Note: I send out this newsletter as a service to both my constituents in Ward ?E? and of course any engaged and caring Jersey City resident or business owner. Serving my constituents as well as working with the civic and neighborhood organizations to find sensitive and efficient solutions to simple and complex problems remains my sole objective as your representative. This has been the case every day of my term and will continue as long as I represent you. However, many of you have asked about my re-election campaign. The campaign is separate from my council office from which this newsletter is written and if you would like to know more about or become involved in my campaign, please visit http://www.stevenfulop.com. Thank you for the opportunity to represent you on the City Council Sincerely, Steven M. Fulop Ward "E" Jersey City Councilman This message was sent from Councilman Steven Fulop to [redacted] It was sent from: Fulop for Jersey City, Ward "E", Jersey City, NJ 07302.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 6:17
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

Your email distribution list consists of thousands people citywide. Since you are telling everyone here you support the EPC 100% there should be no issue sending out the mass email calling upon everyone to support the EPC and send the comments in to the STB since the deadline is May 7th.

I just sent you a copy of the action alert the EPC sent out today just in case it was read and deleted already.
[...]

FYI, Steve Fulop is in close contact regularly with the Embankment Preservation Coaliton (EPC) and Steve has been instrumental in active moves to preserve the Embankment as Open Space both in public and working with the EPC.

As to your comments that Fulop "should be ...sending out the mass email calling upon everyone to support the EPC and send the comments in to the STB since the deadline is May 7th.", I was told by Fulop that just such message will appear in Fulops next newsletter coming out this week.

As to your other statement, "I just sent you a copy of the action alert the EPC sent out today just in case it was read and deleted already.", why the sarcasm? Steven Fulop, as super_furry points out, has been the only person of political office to be this much involved with preserving Open Space for the Embankment.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 22:41
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Through the campaign, I have tried to stay away from the politics of JCList as we have tried to take the approach not engaging in politically motivated posts however, this is an issue that is important to the ward and important to me personally.

My support of the Embankment preservation as open space is something that I feel my record speaks clearly too.

1) Over the last 4 years my track record in supporting the preservation of open space is without blemish on legislative initiatives. Furthermore, I can say that I have been amongst the largest advocates and most vocal supporter at every juncture when funding is necessary from the council to secure the preservation of the embankment. Often the other members of the council push back but the record kept by the city clerk is very clear on this. I would urge anyone who has question to view the voting records on this and the dialog amongst council members.

2) I have been the ONLY member of the council or administration to submit formal comments to the Surface Transportation Board in support of the embankment coalition to date. Again, this is public record for anyone who has questions to view

3) Over the past 4 years, I have been the only member of the council to proactively sponsor legislation to protect the embankment via abandonment checklist process that the developer fought in court and spent $250k to defeat.

4) When the administration changed their view from complete open space to lightrail/small open space on the embankment, I was the ONLY councilperson to stand firm that complete open space is the best option

If there are questions on any of these points, I would urge posters to view the records or ask the board of the EPC.

Although, the political season is in full swing with misinformation, I thank those who started this thread as it has given me the opportunity to speak to the facts and the record here on an issue that is important to me and the city. Over the next four years, I will continue to be the strongest independent voice on the council as am advocate for the EPC and open space.

Sincerely
Steven Fulop

Your email distribution list consists of thousands people citywide. Since you are telling everyone here you support the EPC 100% there should be no issue sending out the mass email calling upon everyone to support the EPC and send the comments in to the STB since the deadline is May 7th.

I just sent you a copy of the action alert the EPC sent out today just in case it was read and deleted already. This is a paragraph from that email:

"The Harsimus Branch is as important to Jersey City's future as it was to its past. The STB should authorize a full environmental impact statement for the Branch, so decision-makers have the best information available to them.

Write whatever you like about the environmental effects of abandonment and demolition. Please do not delay! STB needs to know you care how its decision-making affects you"

YOU are the Councilperson for Ward E and this should be one of your top priorities.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 22:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Through the campaign, I have tried to stay away from the politics of JCList as we have tried to take the approach not engaging in politically motivated posts however, this is an issue that is important to the ward and important to me personally.

My support of the Embankment preservation as open space is something that I feel my record speaks clearly too.

1) Over the last 4 years my track record in supporting the preservation of open space is without blemish on legislative initiatives. Furthermore, I can say that I have been amongst the largest advocates and most vocal supporter at every juncture when funding is necessary from the council to secure the preservation of the embankment. Often the other members of the council push back but the record kept by the city clerk is very clear on this. I would urge anyone who has question to view the voting records on this and the dialog amongst council members.

2) I have been the ONLY member of the council or administration to submit formal comments to the Surface Transportation Board in support of the embankment coalition to date. Again, this is public record for anyone who has questions to view

3) Over the past 4 years, I have been the only member of the council to proactively sponsor legislation to protect the embankment via abandonment checklist process that the developer fought in court and spent $250k to defeat.

4) When the administration changed their view from complete open space to lightrail/small open space on the embankment, I was the ONLY councilperson to stand firm that complete open space is the best option

If there are questions on any of these points, I would urge posters to view the records or ask the board of the EPC.

Although, the political season is in full swing with misinformation, I thank those who started this thread as it has given me the opportunity to speak to the facts and the record here on an issue that is important to me and the city. Over the next four years, I will continue to be the strongest independent voice on the council as am advocate for the EPC and open space.

Sincerely
Steven Fulop

Posted on: 2009/4/29 16:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
So every other candidate or sitting elected official can be told what to do except Steve Fulop?

Got it.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Nice hatchet job.Elkind didn't have the guts to run for the council seat himself but he wants to tell everybody else what to do.The record speaks for it self.This goes double for the bitter ex aide.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
Quote:

ogden1 wrote:
OOps I meant this comment for g_Elkind's post.
C'mon,where do the council people stand????????

"Silence told me secretly, everything"

I was being polite and thought that g_elkinds post would send a wake up call. Sadly, they have done NOTHING!

I received 4 emails from the Fulop Camp asking me to support 5 school board candidates ...

I also got the 4 or 5 e-mails and Fulop was not endorsing those candidates. He stated that he forwarded the e-mails in response to a request. I didn't appreciate getting those e-mails, seemed a bit random, but I think Fulop's intention was to encourage his constituents to vote, since the turnout for that election is so pathetic. Also, how can you endorse four+ candidates for only three elected positions?

Posted on: 2009/4/28 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

G_Elkind wrote:
I have to note that most nearly all candidates, Mayoral and Ward E Council appear to have "commitments" to support the preservation of the Embankment.

That being said, having a "commitment" is one of those great weasel words. Having just "a commitment" doesn't mean much of anything. Coupling demonstrative "action" consistent with the professed commitment gives it real substance. All the rest is fluff.

I am most disappointed to see the two most internet enabled candidates, Councilman Fulop and Mayoral Candidate Levin, largely absent from demonstrating an "active" commitment to support the preservation of the Embankment, especially when it means the most to the EPC and the community. I don't think it's an oversight, but a conscious decision not to mobilize the Facebook and email resources at their disposal...

Geoff, your selective indignation is disappointing. You single out Fulop and Levin since they are "the two most internet enabled candidates" - so lesser internet savvy politicians are off the hook? What about Council President and at-large councilman Mariano Vega? I've heard that he actually uses e-mail and and surfs the internet. Pete Brennan and Willie Flood - the other two at-large don't appear to leverage the internet so are also off your radar. I don't think this is an oversight on your part, but a conscious decision to single out and criticize a particular candidate.

You state that for a candidate to show true commitment to the embankment they should use their available resources to urge their constituents to submit comments to the Surface Transportation Board. I beg to disagree. The Embankment Preservation Coalition and other non-governmental organizations can and should do that on their own. It isn't appropriate or necessary for elected politicians to use their limited resources for this effort.

Fulop is the only person on the council that sponsored proactive legislation to protect the embankment that Hyman spent 250k in court to knock down and is the only person in the administration or council to submit comments to the Surface Transportation Board for a full environmental study in support of the Embankment. If there are others, kudos to them and please mention it in this thread.
Fulop's voting record on the embankment is 100% in support of the embankment and he's consistently supported a park when the administration and council pushed for the lightrail.

Dan Levin has stated his commitment and involvement for preservation of the Embankment. He's attended most of the public meetings.

I think that Guy Catrillo sincerely supports preservation of the embankment, but I'm not sure what that commitment actually is.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 16:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
If there's time to draft (and publicize) ordinances about overhauling the City's Animal Control Department, not to mention send emails about School Board candidates, there's plenty of time to forward an email calling people to action about the Embankment.

Politicians should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, shouldn't they?

I appreciate the voting record, but what the Embankment needs is a champion, someone willing to stand up and fight for it, not sit back. That's what the PADNA needed, and never got, in the Toll Brothers' defeat.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 15:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/5 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
Councilman Fulops voting record on The Embankment speaks for itself. I think it is wrong for G_Elkind to criticize Fulop and Levin ...perhaps failing schools, high crime, rising property taxes, double dipping and quality of life issues receive priority from the respective candidates.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ogden1 wrote:

I was being polite and thought that g_elkinds post would send a wake up call. Sadly, they have done NOTHING!

I received 4 emails from the Fulop Camp asking me to support 5 school board candidates and not one email urging us to send in comments "Action Alert Thread" to The federal Surface Transportation Board.

Councilman Fulop, your silence is deafening! Prove me wrong and send out this mass email to everyone of your email distribution list just like you did for those 5 school board candidates!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
ok-
when elected, together we will "make our parks".

Dan Levin

How about.. doing it NOW before the deadline passes!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
ok-

Our One Jersey City team of council candidates; Andrew Hubsch and Emilio DeLia for At-Large, Doug Salters for Ward B and Norrice Raymaker for Ward C all support the preservation and reuse of the Embankment as a public park and open space. All have stated such at the various forums and meetings they have participated in.

In addition, Norrice Raymaker is on the board of the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy (joined after my term expired and I moved to the Advisory Council) and part of the Jersey City Parks Coalition.

my campaign statement on this wonderful community initiative-

I have supported and continue to support preserving, protecting, and reusing the National Register-eligible Embankment for open space while at the same time protecting the rail right of way (rail banking) for future use.

Developing the Embankment as habitat-oriented open space and as part of the national East Coast Greenway, linking Maine to Florida, would provide Jersey City with an opportunity of a lifetime to link city neighborhoods and the greater region with off-road walking and bicycle trails. This linear park and trail will improve the quality of life of our residents and support residential development to the west of the Embankment where development is needed.

To date the city has landmarked the Embankment, passed legislation to acquire the property, and successfully petitioned the federal Surface Transportation Board to assert its authority over Conrail, which sold the right of way before securing a necessary federal permit to abandon the line. Now is NOT the time to capitulate. The city must use every means it has to secure the site for public use. The Embankment Preservation Coalition helped the City raise more than $3 million, which can be used for acquisition and park and trail development.

when elected, together we will "make our parks".

Dan Levin

Posted on: 2009/4/27 20:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:

Putting all Mayoral personal choices aside.

I'm very thankful for what Dan Levin has done in the past and it would not be fair to exclude Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith as well as Mayor Healy who are currently fighting to save the Embankment.

[...]

Right you are pink; both have been supportive as well.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 4:17
Resized Image

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:I guess I?m in a pragmatic state of mind tonight. After seeing the aerial view of the embankment on OneJC?s post, it looks like a geographical division of a large city. Why can?t there be a compromise, where alternating sections of the embankment become park and residential units? It would unify Hamilton Park and Harrismus Cove instead of buffering each other. Preserve the past and embrace the future at the same time.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I guess I know one candidate I won't be voting for.

Posted on: 2009/4/25 2:03

Submit Comments to help Preserve the Embankment.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have just submitted comments to the STB to try and help the Embankment preservation efofrt.

Follow the instructions on the Embankment Preservation Coalition's website, it took 3 minutes to follow the instructions which are here:

http://www.embankment.org/whitesite/actionalert1.html

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ogden1 wrote:
Great post. So well stated. Thank You.

Putting all Mayoral personal choices aside.

I'm very thankful for what Dan Levin has done in the past and it would not be fair to exclude Assemblyman L. Harvey Smith as well as Mayor Healy who are currently fighting to save the Embankment.

I know Dan Levin is busy with his campaign, but I have to agree with G_Elkind. The Embankment Coalition is at such a crucial point and there needs to be an all out push to reach 1000 comments before the Surface Transportation Board.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 21:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Great post. So well stated. Thank You.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 21:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/4/24 4:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/10/29 16:00
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I have to note that most nearly all candidates, Mayoral and Ward E Council appear to have "commitments" to support the preservation of the Embankment.

That being said, having a "commitment" is one of those great weasel words. Having just "a commitment" doesn't mean much of anything. Coupling demonstrative "action" consistent with the professed commitment gives it real substance. All the rest is fluff.

I am most disappointed to see the two most internet enabled candidates, Councilman Fulop and Mayoral Candidate Levin, largely absent from demonstrating an "active" commitment to support the preservation of the Embankment, especially when it means the most to the EPC and the community. I don't think it's an oversight, but a conscious decision not to mobilize the Facebook and email resources at their disposal. Where are the emails urging support for the Embankment Coalition's effort to reach 1000 comments before the Surface Transportation Board?

Perhaps, it's not too late to change course and bring these resources to bear, but the silence to date on this issue, especially from Councilman Fulop, is I think reflective of a conscious avoidance of active support for the preservation of the Embankment.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ogden1 wrote:
The only folks I have heard address Embankment issues are Guy Catrillo and Eliu Rivera, who support keeping it.

Such a big issue.
What do the other candidates/politicians think?????

Not true. Many of the candidates are on record and have stated their support for preservation of open space and specifically the Embankment before the public. They include:

Steve Fulop(Ward E), Dan Levin(Mayoral), Emilio De Lia and Andrew Hubsch(At Large) and Lou Manzo(Mayoral)

Posted on: 2009/4/23 22:18
Resized Image

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, especially the candidates in Ward E.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 20:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/10/26 17:52
From the best stuff on earth
Group:
Registered Users
I'm also very interested in hearing from city council candidates -- both at-large and in all wards, about this issue.

I've attended a few council sessions in support of the embankment group. More often than not, they were met with disdain and impatience from members of the city council.

It would be great to elect reps that had the balls to see this thing to the end.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 19:55
My signature will be a funny quote and/or observation.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/8/28 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
you can see the mayoral candidates weigh in here.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 18:51

Embankment - Where do the candidates stand?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The only folks I have heard address Embankment issues are Guy Catrillo and Eliu Rivera, who support keeping it.

Such a big issue.
What do the other candidates/politicians think?????

Posted on: 2009/4/23 18:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017