Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
120 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Warning about shopping at FYE

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/19 13:48
Group:
Registered Users
yea...the employees get nagged to 'promote' those by corporate office and their management, and certain quota has to be meet by the stores, summer/winter is when they really push., just avoid it and say no,no thanks!... just got off the phone with the magazine ppl who billed me $49 and wanted me to stay, going as far as to offering a $20 gas rebate ...geez. FYE only good for thier pre-owned selection don't fall for "freebies"

lol. 3 ppl standing at the counter, im sure if they were allowed to ring up they would ... its called bad management. Manager looks at workers, 1 cashier, 1 sorting stuff around, maybe one or 2 on the floor asking if you need help. Never will understand why they cant have 2 ppl at register, when I worked at an fye id get yelled at for leaving post x.x (putting away cds and such). wins dosent always win.

Posted on: 2009/5/19 14:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Why is it there are always about three of them standing at the checkout area but only one of them is taking purchases? The others are just farting around and fiddling with packaging or whatever. It always takes much longer than you think it should and then they want to try and sell you something you don't want EVERY time.

There is a fine line between helpful & friendly and intrusive & obsequious. I dont want to be asked if I want any help finding something all the time. You don't do this to people in a bookstore so don't do it to people that are quite happy browsing for DVDs/CDs etc. Are people in record stores more stupid than people in books stores? Is that the rationale?

With a place that size and the number of employees they have, you'll probably be asked multiple times, since every employee there is told to "ask the customers if they need help". They can't really just ask every other person on the floor if they've asked you already (due to the number of people and size of the store), so they just ask again. Also, every customer will say no. Even if they need help. They're trained to say no to a salesman. I get this daily: "Do you need help?" "No. Where can I find ____".

Sooooo yea, they did did need help but said no followed by a help request a half second later. It's silly, but thats the way people are.

Also if you don't want to shop at FYE for cds/dvds/etc, you can go to Supersounds over at the Hudson Mall.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:

ANYWAY- regarding FYE- Their employees, shockingly, are amongst the most helpful & friendly in the mall. It's between them and the folks at Radio Shack

GWB

Why is it there are always about three of them standing at the checkout area but only one of them is taking purchases? The others are just farting around and fiddling with packaging or whatever. It always takes much longer than you think it should and then they want to try and sell you something you don't want EVERY time.

There is a fine line between helpful & friendly and intrusive & obsequious. I dont want to be asked if I want any help finding something all the time. You don't do this to people in a bookstore so don't do it to people that are quite happy browsing for DVDs/CDs etc. Are people in record stores more stupid than people in books stores? Is that the rationale?

Posted on: 2009/4/1 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Hope the debit card cancellation doesn't negatively affect your credit score. A credit card cancellation would, even if you were the one canceling it. Not sure about the debit card.

Also, using a debit card gives you less purchase and fraud protection than a credit card. I don't really understand using a debit card to begin with unless you are afraid you wouldn't pay your credit card bill in time.

And, yeah, the FYE "gift" sounds like a real scam. You should have just been vigilant with about canceling the subscription before going to the bank.

Debit card cancellation wouldn't do anything. Getting a new credit card number won't, either. He's not closing the account, he's just switching account ##'s.

If you close SEVERAL accounts down at once, it can be negative to your credit in the short term. But just getting a new account number would have no effect at all.

Part of the reason you can hurt your credit by closing an account is what it does to your ratio of available credit. If you have 2 cards, each with 10k limits for a total of $20k, and have 10k on one and nothing on the other, you've used 50% of your available revolving credit. If you close the card with nothing on it, now you're using 100%....ie, you're maxxed out. Lenders don't like to see that you have no resources to float expenses if something happens.

ANYWAY- regarding FYE- Their employees, shockingly, are amongst the most helpful & friendly in the mall. It's between them and the folks at Radio Shack.

Get into the habit of reading the fine print. If you don't have time to ask or do so, don't accept what they're offering.We're seeing the consequences of people not understanding (or being willfully ignorant- that's not directed at the OP btw) what they're getting themselves in to. Hence mortgage defaults, "I didn't know, I thought the payment on a $800,000 house should always be $1000 @ 3.1% IO", etc.

Fraud is an entirely different matter, but that wasn't what this was......

GWB

Posted on: 2009/4/1 12:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Hope the debit card cancellation doesn't negatively affect your credit score. A credit card cancellation would, even if you were the one canceling it. Not sure about the debit card.

Also, using a debit card gives you less purchase and fraud protection than a credit card. I don't really understand using a debit card to begin with unless you are afraid you wouldn't pay your credit card bill in time.

And, yeah, the FYE "gift" sounds like a real scam. You should have just been vigilant with about canceling the subscription before going to the bank.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Report this to the Department of Consumers Affairs.

http://www.state.nj.us/oag/ca/home.htm

Posted on: 2009/4/1 2:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/18 19:20
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I second this! Happened to my husband last summer (he's an international, doesn't assume everyone is out to rip him off, like the rest of us) - the cashier didn't say it was a promotion, no "red flag", he just automatically signed him up for it. Didn't say anything about what it was, or that you had to call to cancel or it would automatically deduct from your card. IN FACT, the promotional material doesn't say that either, if I remember correctly, it was on the receipt. We went all the way back to the mall after we realized and stood there with the manager while he phoned up to cancel it.

Incidentally, we haven't been back to FYE since.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Who doesn't understand that free gift is redundant?

Posted on: 2009/4/1 0:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

otnemem wrote:
Who doesn't understand that the free gift is optional? Was this your first time in an electronics store? JUST SAY NO.

EDIT: Also, canceling your credit card is the most retarded over-reaction ever. There had to be a better way to deal with this.

Yeah honestly I thought everyone was aware of that gimmick by now. "That gag's got whiskers on it....."

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
The best place to send your story is a blog called the Consumerist. They deal with shady stuff like this all the time and usually get the word out pretty quick.

Here is a link

The Consumerist

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/4 14:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
He didn't tell me it was optional, he just said "Here you go check one of these for your free gifts" so I assumed I had to. He gave no further information.

EDIT - I canceled my debit card, I'll just get one with a new number that can't be billed by them. It's not that big of a deal for me to change my bank card number.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/27 16:58
Group:
Banned
Who doesn't understand that the free gift is optional? Was this your first time in an electronics store? JUST SAY NO.

EDIT: Also, canceling your credit card is the most retarded over-reaction ever. There had to be a better way to deal with this.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:06

Warning about shopping at FYE
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/4 14:33
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was at FYE today, got me quite aggravated and pissed off but everything is settled now. Anyhow here's the deal.

I needed some headphones for my cell phone to listen to some music, went to FYE picked up a pair purchased with my debit card then the cashier says to me "Okay and here's your free gifts you can choose up to 3 if you want or just 1 up to you (They were magazine subscriptions some of up to $50 bucks each)" So since I thought I *had* to check one I checked one and exited the store.

I sat down on the bench read the paper he gave me it turns out only 2 months are free and after that if you don't call to cancel your card you used at FYE for your purchase will be charged 2 months after for the price of the subscription. I tried to call the company to cancel and had trouble with their crap service so I went to FYE got a refund on my headphones.

I decided to go to my bank cancel my debit card and just get a new one cause I figured if I did that the company who has my number can't bill me if the card is canceled.

So to any FYE employees that read this I say kiss my ass and inform your customers before they sign for their "free gift" that they'll be billed if they don't cancel. Cause the person who rang me up did NOT inform me, he was some short Asian dude with an emo cut.

Posted on: 2009/3/31 21:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017