Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Another man charged with trying to bribe Jersey City fire inspector
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Attempting to bribe a public official is a crime carrying a possible sentence of up to 10 years in prison when the bribe is over $200

When the bribe is over $2000, it comes under the definition of extenuating circumstances and no crime is deemed to have been committed.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 16:13

Re: Journal Square: Owners tried to bribe fire inspector after house burned down Sunday - 17 homeles

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/7 2:57
From Pavonia Newport or Newport Pavonia
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with MikeZ's post. If I'm going to do something shady and corrupt, I'm not doing it for a mere $500. Nope. I want the big bucks.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 13:41

Re: Another man charged with trying to bribe Jersey City fire inspector
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/5 15:16
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
These people are idiots. $500 bribes? JC officials are used to pocketing four and five figures to turn their back. One time I applied for a building permit, I was asked for $1200 cash just to upgrade a bathroom. Sheesh.

Do they really think an inspector will risk their cushy job for only $500??

Posted on: 2008/6/26 13:31

Another man charged with trying to bribe Jersey City fire inspector
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Man charged with trying to bribe Jersey City fire inspector

by Michaelangelo Conte
Wednesday June 25, 2008, 6:19 PM

A man was arrested today for trying to bribe Jersey City fire inspector Matt Barrett and he later admitted having read a recent Jersey Journal story about two men arrested last month for trying to slip Barrett cash, officials said.

Kevin Bassit, 39, of Old Bridge, was arrested in the Jersey City Municipal Court Building at noon and charged with attempting to bribe a public official, Fire Director Armando Roman said.

Police Detective Martin S. D'Angelo, a fellow member of the Mayor's Task Force, was with Barrett at the time and it was D'Angelo who slapped the cuffs on Bassit, officials said.

On May 19, Barrett inspected a building owned by Bassit on Fairmont Terrace and after finding an illegal apartment in the attic, wrote him $10,000 worth of summonses, Roman said, adding that city building department cited him too.

In municipal court today, Bassit pleaded guilty to the violations in a deal that reduced the fine to $1,000 but Judge Nesle Rodriguez said she wanted the building re-inspected to ensure the tenant in the illegal apartment was gone, Roman said.

While Barrett and D'Angelo were standing outside the courtroom, Bassit walked up and said, "Maybe this will help during the re-inspection of this property," Roman said.

He then handed Barrett an envelope with five $100 bills in it, saying Barrett and D'Angelo could use it to get lunch.

That's when D'Angelo told Bassit he was a police officer and arrested him, Roman said.

"It's very foolish of this individual to think he could compromise, or try to compromise, our city government official, particularly a fire inspector," Roman said. "After he was arrested he mentioned to Barrett that he had read The Jersey Journal story about the last arrest."

On May 16, Sabit Youssef, the owner of a house on St. Paul's Avenue that burned down, was charged with trying to give Barrett $500 to take care of violations found at the building.
Attempting to bribe a public official is a crime carrying a possible sentence of up to 10 years in prison when the bribe is over $200, Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said.

Bassit will make his first appearance in court on the charges tomorrow in Central Judicial Processing in Jersey City and was in the Hudson County jail in Kearny last night.
See more in Crime

Posted on: 2008/6/26 0:24

Re: Journal Square: Owners tried to bribe fire inspector after house burned down Sunday - 17 homeles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

elvis wrote:
Anyone who has ever tried to get any work done on their place knows that JC is corrupt. The only thing that surprises me is that the guy didn't take the bribe. But as mentioned before, it is probably because it is too low. You all can defend them all you want, but the truth is there are many many people on the take in JC and Hoboken including the people you have to go and complain to.

Seems that the glass is half empty in your world. Don't limit it to just J.C. & Hob. it's all of Hudson. And bravo to the inspector who didn't take the bribe. I think it's only a few that are on the take. I for one would have ran to the authorities and exposed this phony who offered the bribe. I'm actually glad he offered it so he could get his just due.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 20:00

Re: Journal Square: Fundraiser to help fire victims
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fundraiser to help fire victims

Monday, May 19, 2008

A fundraiser will be held Thursday for victims of the May 11 fire on St. Paul's Avenue in Jersey City.

The event, sponsored by the Steve Lipksi Civic Association, will be held from 6 to 9 p.m. at Puccini's Restaurant, 1064 West Side Ave. Admission will be $25.

Lipski, the city's Ward C councilman, is hosting the event along with COALCO/CANCO, the developer of the American Can Company condominium project, and other elected officials in the city.

To purchase tickets, call (201) 610-1009.

JOURNAL STAFF

Posted on: 2008/5/19 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/15 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone who has ever tried to get any work done on their place knows that JC is corrupt. The only thing that surprises me is that the guy didn't take the bribe. But as mentioned before, it is probably because it is too low. You all can defend them all you want, but the truth is there are many many people on the take in JC and Hoboken including the people you have to go and complain to.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Quote:
r_pinkowitz wrote: Quote:
creativeconquests wrote: Jersey City's permit office is corrupt. I am too tired to explain my situation with them. But they STILL GET PAY OFFS. I don't care what people say about this issue, I know first hand. These guys are greasing their palms. Good for this inspector to realize that $500 wasn't enough. Now if the guy put in $3,000.00 maybe this wouldn't be a thread. Don't bother shunning me on this thread for speaking the truth and trust me, my comments are oozing sarcasm.
I know Matt Barrett and I will stand beside him, with my head held high. He is a hard working, honest man and this city should be proud to have him. I can't begin to imagine how many lives he has saved shutting down some of these hellholes out there. creativeconquests, I recall your first post on JCList about the troubles you had obtaining a C.O. which falls under a different department. If you had something that happen to you (as you implied), go to the S.I.U at the police department and/or the Hudson County Prosecutor internal affairs office. If there is truth to what you say, do something about it!
I am talking about another issue. But you are right, we should do something about it and we have been. We've been working with the State of NJ on it for several months now. On that note, I did it again and "drank and posted". Blast. No more wine for me when I read JCLIST. I should have kept these comments to myself. Sorry.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 9:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
creativeconquests wrote: Jersey City's permit office is corrupt. I am too tired to explain my situation with them. But they STILL GET PAY OFFS. I don't care what people say about this issue, I know first hand. These guys are greasing their palms. Good for this inspector to realize that $500 wasn't enough. Now if the guy put in $3,000.00 maybe this wouldn't be a thread. Don't bother shunning me on this thread for speaking the truth and trust me, my comments are oozing sarcasm.
I know Matt Barrett and I will stand beside him, with my head held high. He is a hard working, honest man and this city should be proud to have him. I can't begin to imagine how many lives he has saved shutting down some of these hellholes out there. creativeconquests, I recall your first post on JCList about the troubles you had obtaining a C.O. which falls under a different department. If you had something that happen to you (as you implied), go to the S.I.U at the police department and/or the Hudson County Prosecutor internal affairs office. If there is truth to what you say, do something about it!

Posted on: 2008/5/19 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

(...)
Youssef was cited for illegal apartments in his Terrace Avenue property in 2005, Eason said. Those infractions were immediately abated and no fines were issued.

In 2007, he was fined $10,000 for illegal apartments at the same Terrace Avenue building and pleaded guilty.

Second time's a bust?

Posted on: 2008/5/19 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
Jersey City's permit office is corrupt. I am too tired to explain my situation with them. But they STILL GET PAY OFFS. I don't care what people say about this issue, I know first hand. These guys are greasing their palms. Good for this inspector to realize that $500 wasn't enough. Now if the guy put in $3,000.00 maybe this wouldn't be a thread. Don't bother shunning me on this thread for speaking the truth and trust me, my comments are oozing sarcasm.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 1:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Unbelievable, actually I'm not surprised. The real question is when will it end ? It did for the 17 homeless.

Posted on: 2008/5/18 1:39

Journal Square: Owners tried to bribe fire inspector after house burned down Sunday - 17 homeless
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
City: 2 tried to bribe fire inspector

Saturday, May 17, 2008
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

The owner of the St. Paul's Avenue house that burned down last Sunday was arrested yesterday after trying to bribe a city fire inspector with $500 to take care of violations found at the building, officials said.

Sabit Youssef, 53, of Terrace Avenue, was charged with bribing a public official and conspiracy, said city spokesman Stan H. Eason.

He is the owner of 272 St. Paul's Ave., which burned down Sunday in a fire that damaged four buildings and left 17 people homeless.

Yesterday morning at 9:30 a.m., Youssef and Fayez Khellah, 67, also of Jersey City, showed up at the office of Fire Inspector Matt Barrett carrying a folder that they said contained copies of the infractions, police said.

They insisted Barrett take a look in the folder, but he told them he had his own copies, Eason said, adding that at one point one of them said, "This will help to make things go away."

When Barrett picked it up he found it held a sealed envelope obviously containing money, Eason said. Barrett asked the men to wait a minute, stepped out and called police, said Eason.

Fire Department Arson Unit investigators and Police Department Special Investigation Unit officers showed up and arrested both men after finding the envelope contained five $100 bills, Eason said.

It is unclear what Khellah's role was. Officials said he identified himself as the vice president of a West New York bank. He was also charged with bribing a public official and conspiracy, Eason said.

Two people had to flee Youssef's building Sunday through a rear window because there was no secondary egress from their residence and inspectors determined it was an illegal apartment, officials said. He faces fines of up to $10,000 and is scheduled to appear in court on the summons on June 11.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

"This should send a strong message that the safety of our citizenry is paramount," said Fire Director Armando Roman. "The Fire Department will not compromise the integrity of an investigation."

At press time last night, both men were still being processed by police on the bribery charges.

"This fire was an unfortunate event that has now been compounded by this landlord's actions," said Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

Youssef was cited for illegal apartments in his Terrace Avenue property in 2005, Eason said. Those infractions were immediately abated and no fines were issued.

In 2007, he was fined $10,000 for illegal apartments at the same Terrace Avenue building and pleaded guilty.

Posted on: 2008/5/17 17:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017