Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
157 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Nine NJ State Parks to close this season due to budget cuts!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
I just read this article in the Smithsonian Magazine by Patrica Zaradic. She partially blames this horrible state park closing situation on "videophilia." I tend to agree.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science ... iew-patricia-zaradic.html

That article just made me incredibly depressed. Meercat Manor and the Nature Channel are NOT substitutes for the real thing. Getting kids outside and hiking is not only a great nature lesson, but also it gives them fresh air, much needed exercise, teaches them self-reliance, is a great bonding activity free of modern-day distractions, and also is FREE.

Posted on: 2008/4/7 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Swedish band, Oh Laura, has a beautiful song called, "Release Me" that would make an appropriate anthem for this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NjQXMZe2ouk

Posted on: 2008/4/6 15:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
I just read this article in the Smithsonian Magazine by Patrica Zaradic. She partially blames this horrible state park closing situation on "videophilia." I tend to agree.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science ... iew-patricia-zaradic.html

Posted on: 2008/4/6 3:52

Nine NJ State Parks to close this season due to budget cuts!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
From the NJ Sierra Club, news that there are going to be $8.8 million worth of budget cuts to 9 State Parks, including a few gems nearby to JC. High Point is definitely one of my favorite day trips!!

If you can make the protest in Trenton on April 23rd, or know of anyone in the area who can go, please pass this along.

The State of New Jersey announced on April 1 that budget cuts will result in the closure of popular parks and recreational areas throughout the state just in time for the busy summer season. These closures come just after voters approved ballot question #3 last November, sending a clear message to our leaders that investing in open space, parks, farmland and historic sites is a priority even during fiscally challenging times.

Due to the $8.8 million in cuts to the Division of Parks and Forestry, nine parks will be either closed or have their services fully eliminated, including:

Monmouth Battlefield State Park,
Stephens State Park,
High Point State Park,
Brendan T. Byrne State Forest,
Round Valley Recreation Area,
Parvin State Park,
Jenny Jump State Forest,
Worthington State Forest and
Fort Mott State Park.

In addition, three parks are slated for partial elimination of services and facilities, including swimming at Ringwood State Park, camping and interpretive services at D&R Canal State Park and severe reduction in hours at Washington Crossing State Park.

"This is the worst April Fool's joke of the year," said Dena Mottola Jaborska, executive director of Environment New Jersey. "But it's no joke --- if Gov. Corzine doesn't lift these draconian budget cuts, New Jersey residents will be locked out of enjoying some of New Jersey's state park jewels."

"No governor at any time, even during the Great Depression, has ever closed a state park," said Jeff Tittel, Director of the New Jersey Sierra Club. "There was always an understanding that during troubled times, parks are a place for people to get together to enjoy their families and forget about their troubles. That the Corzine Administration would close these parks that the people of New Jersey purchased for their own use is unconscionable."

Rally at the Trenton State House

Wednesday, April 23rd

12:30 PM

Show your State Leaders you care, wear your outdoor gear and bring your own signs. Families welcome!

Stay Tuned! More detailed information on the rally will be added to this website shortly: http://www.njkeepitgreen.org/

If you have specific questions, please contact Becca Glenn, Sierra Club at 609-656-7612

Posted on: 2008/4/6 1:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017