Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
160 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Closing Lafayette Post Office after almost 40 years!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/27 23:48
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Iwitness wrote:
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:
If it's vital, let private companies do it.

Yeah, the constituents most affected by it will get right on that and wave their magic wands and privatize the U.S. Mail system.

Then they deserve what they get.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 18:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Quote:

DirtMcGirt wrote:

Yeah, the constituents most affected by it will get right on that and wave their magic wands and privatize the U.S. Mail system.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/11/6 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/29 4:12
Group:
Banned
Not having access to a post office has a disproportionate impact on people of limited economic means or those who are outright struggling than it does on middle or upper middle class people. People who pay bills by money-order, and pay them by mail, for example.

Not everybody has their No-fee checking account linked to their MMA and brokerage, with their salary direct deposited and their utilities paid online through their laptop with internet access.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 18:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
I live by Liberty State Park light rail in Lafayette, and the closest post offices to me are now the main one downtown, or the one on bergen. i don't have a car, and i work a 9-5er plus the time it takes to commute to and from. So if i want to utilize a post office, i either have to go downtown on saturday and wait in line, or take time out of my workday to use a post office in the town i work in. Most people in neighborhoods in jersey city have a post office you can walk to in their neighborhood. It's not my #1 priority, but i would say having a post office nearby can be vital, especially around the holidays. And what if you want a PO Box?

Posted on: 2009/11/6 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
Please support the Lafeyette Community and Communipaw Avenue Block Association today at 12 pm at the main post office in downtown.....It is important for all to know that we can't accept vital services to be taken away from us.! Thank you!

How is it vital?

Posted on: 2009/11/6 17:17

Re: Lafayette gets mail unit 4 mornings a week
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Post Office stops mobile service in Jersey City

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
November 05, 2009, 3:38PM

The United States Post Office has discontinued the mobile van unit that parked outside this storefront on Pacific Ave. which housed the General Lafayette Post Office until it was closed Dec. 21, 2007

First the General Lafayette Station Post Office on Pacific Ave. closed in late 2007.

Now residents in that section of the city have lost the mobile unit that parked outside the former post office.
The United States Postal Service halted mobile van service this week after notifying the mayor in a July letter that it was being discontinued.

George Flood, a spokesman for the northeast USPS area, said there were several key factors that weighed on the decision, including customer usage over the past year and the close proximity of two other post offices.

But members of the Communipaw Avenue Block Association say the area's elderly residents can't walk to the other sites and many do not have cars.

Jersey City Postmaster Jeff Gannon is meeting with block association officials Nov. 13 at 11 a.m. at the main post office at 69 Montgomery St.

Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said in a statement that he fought the closure after his office received a letter earlier this year.
?We knew they were in jeopardy of closing, and we fought it several times,? he said.

?We are disappointed by the U.S. Postal Service, which seems intent on closing branches, removing mail boxes and cutting costs by cutting down on services to the general public," Healy said. "We have been in touch with our federal representatives who all feel the same way, and we?ve all worked together to try and prevent this continuing curtailment in services to our constituents.?

Posted on: 2009/11/6 3:45

Re: Lafayette gets mail unit 4 mornings a week
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Postal Service brass abruptly shut the Lafayette Branch, at 322 Pacific Ave., on Dec. 21 when a bulletproof glass door that parcels are passed through fell off its hinges, creating a security risk.

KEN THORBOURNE

what a joke! instead of making a repair they would rather close down an entire branch?!

Posted on: 2008/3/7 20:33
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

historyrules wrote:
The fight for the Lafayette post office goes on! Check out this update from The Jersey Journal:

http://www.nj.com/hudsoncountynow/ind ... rrow_for_closed_post.html

What is the exact date & time of the rally ?

Posted on: 2008/3/7 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned
Please support the Lafeyette Community and Communipaw Avenue Block Association today at 12 pm at the main post office in downtown.....It is important for all to know that we can't accept vital services to be taken away from us.! Thank you!

Posted on: 2008/3/7 14:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/17 12:03
Group:
Registered Users
The fight for the Lafayette post office goes on! Check out this update from The Jersey Journal:

http://www.nj.com/hudsoncountynow/ind ... rrow_for_closed_post.html

Posted on: 2008/3/6 22:56

Lafayette gets mail unit 4 mornings a week
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Lafayette gets mail unit 4 mornings a week
Friday, February 01, 2008

Bergen-Lafayette residents will have a mobile mail unit to service their postal needs while the Lafayette Branch on Pacific Avenue remains closed, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy announced yesterday.

The mobile mail unit, which will accept mail, packages and sell stamps, will be stationed in front of the Provident Savings Bank, at 350 Communipaw Ave., on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 9 and 11:30 a.m.

The mobile mail unit will also be stationed in front of the Lafayette Living Center, a senior residence, at 463 Pacific Ave., on Fridays between 3 and 4 p.m.

"We are happy the postmaster and his staff met with us, listened to our concerns and recommendations, and came up with this temporary accommodation for the people of the Lafayette community," Healy said.

Healy said federal officials who represent Jersey City have pledged to be strong advocates for opening a permanent facility in the area.

"It's a very good temporary solution," said Rosalyn Browne, president of the Communipaw Avenue Block Association. "But I think the senior hours could have been increased."

By March 1, postal officials said, they will tell the mayor if it's feasible to either reopen the Lafayette branch or open a new facility.

Postal Service brass abruptly shut the Lafayette Branch, at 322 Pacific Ave., on Dec. 21 when a bulletproof glass door that parcels are passed through fell off its hinges, creating a security risk.

Post Office boxes and employees from the Lafayette Branch have been shifted to the Bergen South station on Martin Luther King Drive, which is nine-tenths of a mile away, said USPS spokesman George Flood.

KEN THORBOURNE

Posted on: 2008/2/7 15:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/17 12:03
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/2/7 5:21

Closing Lafayette Post Office after almost 40 years!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
To: Rosalyn Browne <commblock@msn.com> Communipaw Avenue Block Association (CABA) Dear Rosalyn Browne and Lafayette Leaders: In light of your current battle to retain the much-needed Lafayette post office, I am attaching an article from the Hudson Dispatch dated September 4, 1968. This article, entitled "Lafayette Branch Site Selected in Lafayette," is from my personal archives, and I welcome all of you to share and circulate it amongst your constituents, elected officials and neighbors. The article, though brief, proves that the Lafayette post office branch has been an integral, necessary part of the Lafayette community for nearly forty years. In fact, had the postmaster not slammed the Pacific Avenue doors shut recently, the branch would have celebrated its fortieth anniversary this November. The article reminds us that the Lafayette post office was made possible through the concerted efforts of activist Lafayette residents. To allow the branch to shut down and remain closed is a slap in the face of those 1960s-era Lafayette leaders who fought long and hard and realized that a neighborhood without a post office is a neighborhood in neglect. Credit for the Lafayette post office is also due to former Congressman Cornelius Gallagher, who lobbied for the location and who, I am told, is alive and well and recently gave a speech in front of the Bayonne Historical Society (standing room only). Perhaps someone could reach out to him and ask him to help preserve a part of his legacy. All my best, John Gomez, Founder Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy Thesis Student, Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation

Posted on: 2008/2/7 5:12
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017