Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
142 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Wayne & Barrow: Gambling Bust at the Hernandez Mini Market by the Special Investigations unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 16:14
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Looks like they got busted for just running a football book. If there hadn't been 30 people in that little store, it probably wouldn't have been such a big deal. Slightly more details and pics in this PDF...

http://www.njjcpd.org/Breaking%20News/gambling%20wayne.pdf

Posted on: 2007/11/22 17:53

Re: Wayne & Barrow: Gambling Bust at the Hernandez Mini Market by the Special Investigations unit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
Im curious to what type of "gambling" ring they had going on there. I think there's a big difference bewtween running numbers and booking a football pool. Maybe the cops just wanted to get in there and shake some things around and see what comes up.

When you are hiding cash under the floorboards, it's more than just a friendly office football pool.

Posted on: 2007/11/22 13:45
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Since you used to live here for 18 years you would know the scum that live on Wayne/Columbus in this area. This is no friendly game of poker, there are dealers here and the cops should have a 0 tolerance policy.

Sorry you had such bad run downs with the JCPD when you lived here but I think they are doing the right thing by breaking up these illegal establishments.

Posted on: 2007/11/21 16:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/21 14:41
Group:
Registered Users
What a joke w/such small time bust. So there were a few people having fun making a few bucks on the side. It's only good if the $ goes to uncle same so they can squander it instead of it going to people who need it. The state could take all your money from gambling at AC or The meadowlands without no remorse but its a big deal for a small guy making a few dollars....Please don't get me wrong....I am law abiding and do not do anything to break the law but for cryin out loud.....go after the drug dealers that ruin the city!!!! Take the drugs off the streets!!!!!!

Posted on: 2007/11/21 16:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maybe I've been watching too much of The Wire, but it could be that they're having a hard time building a narcotics case there so this bust was an easy way to get some key players taken out of the operation.

Maybe they just need to stick a microphone in a tennis ball and leave it in the park.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Im curious to what type of "gambling" ring they had going on there. I think there's a big difference bewtween running numbers and booking a football pool. Maybe the cops just wanted to get in there and shake some things around and see what comes up.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 5:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCase wrote:

And I think someone should keep a close eye on this open-air dining issue at Subia's. Once they get a foot in the door on that sort of thing, it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle, so to speak.

I'm sort of making that part up, but I do remember there was some restaurant downtown (maybe closed long ago) that had a hard time getting permits for sidewalk dining in Jersey City.

If you're joking about the genie here: :)

If you're serious: personally, I think open-air dining helps make the neighborhood safer. I guess one problem is noise, but Subia's closes at 8, so it's not as if a little noise there would interfere much with sleeping.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 15:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
People ought to know that, if they're going to sell drugs on a quiet residential sidewalk in Jersey City, someone is at least going to yell at them and issue tickets from time to time. In other words: it ought to be tougher to sell heroin on the sidewalk here than it is for a bagel place to get permission to let people eat bagels at outside tables.

The idea that it's almost as hard for Subia's to have open air dining as it is for dealers to deal a few yards around the corner is intolerable.

I agree. The trouble with JC cops is that, when confronted with brazen drug sellers, they don't yell at them and issue tickets, at least on occasion. A little bit of that would go a long way to reestablishing JCPD authority.

And I think someone should keep a close eye on this open-air dining issue at Subia's. Once they get a foot in the door on that sort of thing, it's hard to put the genie back in the bottle, so to speak.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 13:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/17 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
I don't honestly care whether someone is running numbers out of a bodega, but maybe the JCPD did this partly to show that they're not bought off and partly to get some leverage over people who can explain how the open air drug supermarket there works.

Maybe I've been watching too much of The Wire, but it could be that they're having a hard time building a narcotics case there so this bust was an easy way to get some key players taken out of the operation.

Plus, while the number running but not seem like a big deal, I'd imagine that it attracts people that are involved in other types of crimes or otherwise disrupt quality of life.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 10:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
I don't honestly care whether someone is running numbers out of a bodega, but maybe the JCPD did this partly to show that they're not bought off and partly to get some leverage over people who can explain how the open air drug supermarket there works.

If the JCPD shut the drug supermarket down and a new one comes in, well, that's life, but I think just the mere act of giving sidewalk drug dealers grief is very important. People ought to know that, if they're going to sell drugs on a quiet residential sidewalk in Jersey City, someone is at least going to yell at them and issue tickets from time to time. In other words: it ought to be tougher to sell heroin on the sidewalk here than it is for a bagel place to get permission to let people eat bagels at outside tables.

The idea that it's almost as hard for Subia's to have open air dining as it is for dealers to deal a few yards around the corner is intolerable.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 6:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
whats the over/under on days until there is another illegal underground operation on columbus/wayne?

I say 2.5 days.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/13 17:19
From time to time
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

were charged with ... possession of gambling records

And when I see "gambling records", I think of country music.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
More like a ski resort, if you catch my drift.

Glad they got busted. Scumbags.

Posted on: 2007/11/13 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maintaining a gambling resort, officials said.

When I see 'resort' I think palm trees and white sand beaches.

Posted on: 2007/11/12 21:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
DUH!!! I've been talking about this for years!

Posted on: 2007/11/12 21:10

Wayne & Barrow: Gambling Bust at the Hernandez Mini Market by the Special Investigations unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Wayne & Barrow: Gambling bust in Jersey City

by Paul Koepp
Jersey Journal
November 12

Jersey City Police broke up a gambling ring at the Hernandez Mini Market on Wayne (& Barrow) Street yesterday afternoon, reports said.

Adrian Hernandez, 24, of Wayne Street, and Angel Rodriguez, 30, of Pavonia Avenue, were charged with promoting gambling, possession of gambling records and maintaining a gambling resort, officials said.

Officers of the police department's Special Investigations Unit, acting on a search warrant, recovered over $7,900 in cash from the alleged operation in cash registers and cigar boxes and under floorboards of the store, police said.

Posted on: 2007/11/12 20:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017