Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Living in Paulus Hook Questions

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/4 3:08
From New York NY
Group:
Registered Users
This one kinda worries me too.

Resized Image

Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Essex Street - West of Warren

The property west of 130 Warren has a serious lean.

Resized Image

2 doors down you have another building with a serious lean and touching the building on the east of it.

Resized Image

And another 2 doors down you have another building with a serious lean that is not so noticeable behind the steel sheeting. The building to the left is fine, but could lose their light/windows on their west wall due to new construction next to them.

Resized Image

Sussex Street has a great brownstone row of homes on the north side, west of Warren. Opposite them you have a few, but once you look at the roofs of some, something doesn't look right.

What people should keep in mind is if the building isn't 'square' then the interior will be out of whack and create drama when installing cupboards, tiling, sinks, tubs etc.

What I have also noticed is the bad exterior painting around those bay windows on some homes that are less then 10 years old - it appears they have used some inferior paints - just down and opposite Amelia's restaurant on Morris Street.

These are just some basic things I've noticed - it took me a good 1 hour just to look at the home my friend want to buy or consider - and that was just looking at it from all angles except the interior.

Posted on: 2007/7/24 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zyx345 wrote:
I am currently searching for an apartment or Condo in the Jersey City and Hoboken area.

As far as night life and restaurants go, would Paulus Hook be the Jersey City equivalent of Hoboken?

Is it safe to keep a car in Paulus Hook and park on the street or do you pretty much have to pay to park in a deck?

Thanks.

Get a folding bike the area (PH) will shrink. You'll be fine down there. Hoboken is too congested you could always hop on a PATH train with the folder. Also all of Downtown J.C. will be at hand. Make friends with any new situation the arises.

Posted on: 2007/7/23 18:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I've lived in PH for the last 9 years, in one of the buildings fatass photographed earlier in this thread. I absolutely love it, although the many changes over the last 5 years come with a pricetag: it's impossible to get a pint of beer for under $6

Like Hoboken, there are lots of good restaurants within walking distance but unlike Faux-boken you won't see groups of suburban guys driving around in SUVs yelling out their windows at pretty women, or drunks bellowing at 3AM on their walk home from bars.

I have a car but when it's in the shop or flooding makes driving too annoying, I take the light rail to the Hairy Missus Cove station and visit the nearby Shop Rite. It's not my first choice as far as supermarkets go but if you're near the light rail it's very convenient.

Posted on: 2007/7/23 16:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/27 21:10
From Basking Ridge
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jeebus wrote:
If your work means commuting to WTC then the Exchange Place PATH is great. The walk to the grocery store is something that you'll have to judge for yourself - I don't mind it. From Paulus Hook the best way to Hoboken is probably the Light Rail. BTW, Hoboken is indeed extremely fratty.

As you said, you need to come here a few times and "test drive" your commute, walking to the grocery store, and visiting your friends. Nothing that people like me who are happy to live here say can substitute for that.

I currently work in Jersey City but they may move our office back to midtown so the 33rd st. PATH would be my main commuting line if they move us.

I guess maybe walking far to the grocery store and carying bags of groceries all the way back would probably be the biggest distraction but I'll do some analysis on the cost of keeping a car in the neighborhood as well.

Posted on: 2007/7/23 3:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Basking Ridge
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:

Resized Image

2 doors down you have another building with a serious lean and touching the building on the east of it.

Resized Image

And another 2 doors down you have another building with a serious lean that is not so noticeable behind the steel sheeting. The building to the left is fine, but could lose their light/windows on their west wall due to new construction next to them.

Resized Image

Sussex Street has a great brownstone row of homes on the north side, west of Warren. Opposite them you have a few, but once you look at the roofs of some, something doesn't look right.

What people should keep in mind is if the building isn't 'square' then the interior will be out of whack and create drama when installing cupboards, tiling, sinks, tubs etc.

What I have also noticed is the bad exterior painting around those bay windows on some homes that are less then 10 years old - it appears they have used some inferior paints - just down and opposite Amelia's restaurant on Morris Street.

These are just some basic things I've noticed - it took me a good 1 hour just to look at the home my friend want to buy or consider - and that was just looking at it from all angles except the interior.

Thanks for posting those. I see what you mean as far as the structural problems.

Posted on: 2007/7/23 3:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
If your work means commuting to WTC then the Exchange Place PATH is great. The walk to the grocery store is something that you'll have to judge for yourself - I don't mind it. From Paulus Hook the best way to Hoboken is probably the Light Rail. BTW, Hoboken is indeed extremely fratty.

As you said, you need to come here a few times and "test drive" your commute, walking to the grocery store, and visiting your friends. Nothing that people like me who are happy to live here say can substitute for that.

Quote:

zyx345 wrote:
Thanks to all for the replies. Additional opinions are welcome as well.

My main motivation for moving to the Hoboken and JC area is that I need to be closer to work. I have a few friends that live in Hoboken but lately I've been feeling that Hoboken is a little young and even post frat in some areas even though I am in my early thirties.

I'm really looking for a safe, moderately quiet neighborhood with the ability to walk to mass transportation and convenience and food stores.

I used to park my car over by Marin and Grand until the lot turned into Gulls Cove. My logic regarding Paulus Hook is that I could get to Hoboken easily to visit friends via the PATH but still come home to a more quiet neighborhood.

I guess the best way to get a feel for Paulus Hook is to go there a few times and walk around the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2007/7/23 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/7/22 20:41
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/3 3:46
Group:
Banned
Quote:

There is no "night life" in Jersey City. If you want that you should move to Hoboken.

i find this post to be a little disingenuous. not the type of nightlife some folks might prefer? okay. but to say there is "no 'nightlife'" in jersey city is, IMHO, an overstatement, and presupposes that there is any one set definition of 'nightlife'. from the original posters recent posts, i think he/she has the differences between Hoboken and Jersey City down pretty well.

plenty of bars and restaurants in downtown stay open late into the night, a comfortable walk from my place. 'nightlife' to me means being able to spend a late evening with friends at a bar, which one can certainly do in paulus hook (light horse), in hamilton park (white star), or near grove path (merchant/majestic).

if 'nightlife' means only the puke-lined Washington Street in Hoboken, on tragic nightclubs filled mostly with out-of-towners who don't give a shit about the neighborhood, then yes, jersey city has no nightlife. and thank god for that.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 19:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Basking Ridge
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Be careful in Paulus Hook - I've gone and had a look west of Warren St for a friend looking to buy, and some of the 3-4 floor homes look structurally unsound. I do have some photos of some huge structural problem that doesn't involve me even stepping in the door - I'll be happy to post them if someone is interested.

Thanks. I'd be interested in those pics. You can also PM them to me if thats any easier. Being that I am unfamiliar with the neighborhood I guess it might be better to rent for a year then look to buy.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Be careful in Paulus Hook - I've gone and had a look west of Warren St for a friend looking to buy, and some of the 3-4 floor homes look structurally unsound. I do have some photos of some huge structural problem that doesn't involve me even stepping in the door - I'll be happy to post them if someone is interested.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 17:40
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Basking Ridge
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to all for the replies. Additional opinions are welcome as well.

My main motivation for moving to the Hoboken and JC area is that I need to be closer to work. I have a few friends that live in Hoboken but lately I've been feeling that Hoboken is a little young and even post frat in some areas even though I am in my early thirties.

I'm really looking for a safe, moderately quiet neighborhood with the ability to walk to mass transportation and convenience and food stores.

I used to park my car over by Marin and Grand until the lot turned into Gulls Cove. My logic regarding Paulus Hook is that I could get to Hoboken easily to visit friends via the PATH but still come home to a more quiet neighborhood.

I guess the best way to get a feel for Paulus Hook is to go there a few times and walk around the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

zyx345 wrote:
I am currently searching for an apartment or Condo in the Jersey City and Hoboken area.

As far as night life and restaurants go, would Paulus Hook be the Jersey City equivalent of Hoboken?
[...].

There is no "night life" in Jersey City. If you want that you should move to Hoboken.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 16:00
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/15 0:46
Group:
Registered Users
You also might want to consider what kind of communities these are. PH seems to have a broader mix of people;
Hoboken seems to be a much younger place. Someone in their late thirties, forties, etc. might be more at home
in PH than Hoboken. On the other hand a younger person would probably not feel out of place in PH, either.

I used to live in PH and although you get to meet many interesting people there, you are aware that there are
many more that you never see or meet because to many it is just a bedroom community. I don't know if that
is also true of Hoboken.

I thought PH was a great place to live and I would recommend it to anybody.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 15:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
living in paulus hook you have the option of eating out alot, fresh direct or shopping at the over priced deli. otherwise you can walk to the produce shops on grove or the shoprite on marin. bring your "old lady cart".

downtown pharmacy in liberty towers is not so bad as far as selection and price for non-produce type foods.

there are no convenient laundromats, either.

otherwise, paulus hook is as idyllic of an urban nabe as you are bound to encounter.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Paulus Hook is an area of Jersey City, Hoboken is a whole city. You really can't compare them. There isn't much retail in PH compared to the rest of JC.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I also believe Paulus Hook in regards to town planning is better structured and is a less 'cluttered' environment then Hoboken - but Hoboken in general, has much better food stores. In regards to parking, I see that residents get on-street parking if they have no off-street parking available, so the old brownstone homes all get that permit.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 12:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/8 9:03
Group:
Banned
Paulus Hook is a lot classier than Hoboken, thats for sure!

You've got great restaurants and bars on Washington, Montgomery, Warren and Morris - so I guess it has a similar ratio of places to go.

It's also the safest part of Jersey City - very rare to see hoodlums there, because the owner-occupancy rate is so high. (Unlike say, Van Vorst / Grove Street)

I rented there in parking zone 3 for four years, (as the area was developed) and it became very difficult to street park.

I'd go with a deeded parking space, absolutely! Also, You can sometimes search the craigslist real estate section under "Paulus Hook", and find FSBO listings that the realtors don't offer you. - Good luck!

Posted on: 2007/7/22 9:30

Living in Paulus Hook Questions

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Basking Ridge
Group:
Registered Users

Is it safe to keep a car in Paulus Hook and park on the street or do you pretty much have to pay to park in a deck?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 8:01

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017