Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
189 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 189

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: McCann corrects Morgan on abatements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
budget_passes_poster

Posted on: 2013/11/26 18:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I am tired of hearing we need abatements for developments.

Yvonne I do appreciate you, Lydia Radin, et als. as you do provide great entertainment akin to people watching in the Port Authority late at night, but I can tell you as a matter of fact that certain developments in undesirable areas simply have not and will not happen without a tax incentive. If you can find one developer to build a nice building in JC outside of downtown you are truly a magician, although I know magic is blasphemy to religious right wingers.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
A little background-Earl Morgan wrote an column on abatement and said it started with Newport. McCann's comments are accurate. They were never offered an abatement. However, McCann left out a little detail. After, he got back in office, he gave more abatements than Cucci/Cunningham. Basically, there was development done before, without abatements. I am tired of hearing we need abatements for developments. The original idea of abatements came from our mayors not developers.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 16:12

McCann corrects Morgan on abatements
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Earl Morgan is wrong on the facts. When I became mayor of Jersey City in 1981, I never even had one conversation with Herb Glimcher, and that is the same today, 32 years later.

The first thing I did was get rid of Herb Glimcher by looking for a developer who could do the project. Up until then, the Glimchers built strip shopping centers. In 1982, I was able to convince Mel Simon, the third largest mall developer in the United States to come to Jersey City to be a part of the redevelopment.

We needed a housing developer and again was able to convince Sam LeFrak, the largest developer/owner of housing in the country. By early 1983, we had our development team for the Northern Jersey City Development project, as we called it at that time.

Glimcher held a nominal position but was no longer involved. We applied for the UDAG grant of $40 million for infrastructure and the parking garage of the mall. We lent the money to Simon and the Lefrak Organization without interest. It also involved the planning for a new PATH station and a light rail train system to go through the project along with the extension of Washington Street to the Hoboken border.

In 1982, the city and NJ Transit started developing the plan and funding for the light rail system. Newport started, along with demolition, in 1984. In 1985, I lost re-election to Anthony Cucci, who opposed the development. Up until that time there was very little talk about tax abatements, although I was willing to consider them for the office development but not the housing.

While I was out of office, Cucci, in the first week, removed his largest contributor ($125,000) from the development project area, allowing Jerry Mecca's trucking terminal to stay. Lefrak convinced Cucci that it needed government financing to build housing.

Together they received financing from the State of New Jersey that required 15 percent of the units to be "affordable" and a tax abatement. I had opposed both. Cucci, along with his Council President Glenn Cunningham, gave them the start of the tax abatement craze in Jersey City. Cucci then had his second largest contributor ($110,000) named the parking garage manager, Harwood Parking Systems. Up to then parking was free.

I came back into office in 1989, defeating Cucci and Cunningham, who opposed each other. These were the facts. Morgan, who was very friendly with both Cucci and Cunningham, never mentions their names in the entire article or about why there is a trucking terminal there and the garage charges for parking.

FORMER MAYOR GERALD McCANN

JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2013/11/26 16:08

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017