Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 66

JCBORN, more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (moobycow)




Re: fighting to keep existing height and density zoning in The Village
#91
Home away from home
Home away from home


This, I agree with. I believe this is the lot adjacent to the "Burke Bros Garage" building. There's no need to 7 stories there, but I can see giving them the same height as the the building next door.

Here is the agenda:
http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedF ... rmation/zb0411615.agn.pdf

Posted on: 2015/4/15 20:13
 Top 


Re: 800+ pedestrians hurt, 19 killed, on JFK Blvd. in past 10 years
#92
Home away from home
Home away from home


While I agree about idiot pedestrians, the problem with the don't walk signal while the cars have a green for turning is that too many intersections in JC have walk signals that simply won't turn without someone having pushed the button during the last cycle.

So you wind up with people conditioned to watch for a red in the other direction and then start walking because the pedestrian signals aren't worth sh!t and you don't know if you're actually not supposed to walk or you have a signal that is not going to run on this cycle.

Posted on: 2015/4/9 16:53
 Top 


Re: Sohowest neighborhood
#93
Home away from home
Home away from home


I always thought it was NOHO, for Not Hoboken.

Posted on: 2015/4/6 12:13
 Top 


Re: JUST BECLAWS
#94
Home away from home
Home away from home



Posted on: 2015/4/1 19:35
 Top 


Re: Tilted Kilt - Pub & Eatery (&boobs) - CLOSED
#95
Home away from home
Home away from home


The high rent district in Brooklyn is significantly larger than the high rent area of JC (Crown Heights by itself is 140k+ people in 2sq miles). Retail is a tough business, even tougher when you are at the edge of a town and the vast majority of the population has pass 40 other places to eat before they get to you.

This spot will do better as development fills in around it.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 18:54
 Top 


Re: Tilted Kilt - Pub & Eatery (&boobs) - CLOSED
#96
Home away from home
Home away from home


I just hope they don't cover up all the windows like TK did. I was going to go in one time, but didn't feel like dining in a cave.

At the end of the day the place is by the beer garden and Surf City, so I know what TK was thinking, but both of those places offer something unique and interesting as far as atmosphere and the choice between those spots and TK wasn't even a choice.

I kind of like inauthentic americanized Mexican so I'll probably give this place a shot. Too bad it isn't Jose Tejas moving in...

Posted on: 2015/3/31 15:45
 Top 


Re: Developers reveal plans for 35-story tower at Jersey City Pep Boys site
#97
Home away from home
Home away from home


I actually did get a response, the side facing the light rail has no retail, it will be loading decks/garage entry. One other side will connect to an adjacent building (the Southern side) and the other 2 will have retail. The phase 2 adjacent building will have retail on the Southern side.

So 3 sides of retail. I still hate to have a dead side of the building, but 3 sides are OK. Hopefully several of the buildings will share the parking, that would help.

Posted on: 2015/3/29 21:34
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
#98
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:

Or, is this more about expectations, than facts? One side will never be satisfied, even if it's proven to be true, with the availability of garage space for rent, because it doesn't provide them with what they expect - free parking right where they want it; the other side not satisfied with a solution that enables what they see as an obsolete, socially and ecologically unsustainable model, e.g. that of the private car.


Yes, I'm not really happy with all the large decks going up, but only one person here is actively denying reality so I can't really agree with he said/she said.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 18:08
 Top 


Re: Like Hillary, Jersey City mayor and officials use private email to conduct public business
#99
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I don't buy the argument that "everybody does it" or the (seeming) implication that it is therefore OK.

But, as moobycow indicates, based on what is known of the city IT department (based on previous performance) I would guess that using a private email address is probably a safer bet.

Regardless, there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever to use that as a justification to allow government employees, especially higher ups, to use personal email addresses when conducting city business. Moving the city email service to a privately hosted solution (such as Microsoft Office 365, or Google Mail for Business) is SUPER easy and cost effective. Incredibly so, actually. As IT costs and budgets continue to grow across all industries, there is a very valid argument for local governments to outsource some of those functions to private providers.


It's $3.50/address/month on Office 365 for government (just email, other stuff can run more).

If something doesn't work, the answer isn't to just shrug and break the law, it is to fix it. Especially when there are simple, inexpensive solutions staring you in the face.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 16:57
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

DAllen wrote:
Isn't there a big parking deck at the end of Newark Ave already at Grove Point or am I missing something?


You're not missing anything at all. There is a large, underutilized, public deck right at the end of Newark. Yvonne will come up with some excuse as to why this doesn't count, just like all the other public decks don't count.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 14:12
 Top 


Re: Like Hillary, Jersey City mayor and officials use private email to conduct public business
Home away from home
Home away from home


Knowing what I know about the JC IT department I don't doubt that personal email is a better bet. Still, they could, and should, have forced an upgrade to Google or MS for hosted email.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 12:44
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
And just a question for you economics-savvy readers: If the existing parking decks are 1/2 full, why hasn't the cost of parking gone down?


Most of the parking decks are available to the residents of the building and are not open to the public.


I don't know about all of them, but Grove Point and 50 Columbus are open to the public. As is the deck by Hopscotch, the mall parking lot and Trump Plaza.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 19:33
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The parking lots that existed before were not free, please stop putting words into my mouth that I did not say. You and the city officials are ignoring the fact that the new residents who live in these monster buildings have 1/3 of the parking so they park on the streets taking parking away from long term residents who do not have parking available. That is the issue. The parking the long term residents had has a building on the lot, now. The city is planning for everyone except the long term resident. For some reason they do not count. Yet they are the ones who pay full taxes.


You're ignoring facts so I don't know why I bother... The decks are not full, therefore, whether they provide 1/3 of a space per unit, 1/2 of a space or 1 space per unit is irrelevant, because there are more than enough spots for everyone who wants one.

I know more than a few people who live in those new buildings, but I don't know of a single one who has a car and chooses to park on the street instead of in the deck.

Every large building that goes up adds to the amount of parking spots available at a rate higher than the amount of cars in the building. The city planning department knows this because they've actually done the work. That is why they want less parking spaces with the new buildings.

I've never had a discussion with someone so impervious to factual statements.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 19:00
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
And just a question for you economics-savvy readers: If the existing parking decks are 1/2 full, why hasn't the cost of parking gone down?


Because it isn't hard enough to park on the street to make walking to a deck and paying worthwhile. The decks aren't underused because they are too expensive, they are underused because there isn't really enough demand at any price.

The people who park there live in the buildings (or maybe commute to JC via car). Everyone else can actually generally find parking just fine.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 14:34
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The traffic that comes through downtown are the "shortcuts" from the turnpike. Travelers to the Holland Tunnel do not wait to exit as they should they drive through the downtown streets. This has been happening for years. Many newer residents confuse that traffic with long term residents. The long term resident either parked on the street with no problem or parked on a lot that has become a building. New buildings will bring in more residents with one third the parking for those residents. They are competing with downtown residents who park on the streets. The city is making the problem worse. It is the reason I said we need lots or garages.


You are just going to continue to ignore the fact that we put of garages with every new large development and those garages are 1/2 empty aren't you?

Posted on: 2015/3/10 13:51
 Top 


Re: What's going there?
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

RUrahrah wrote:
can confirm the BBQ place at the old vespa spot - a silverman condo meeting had mentioned it.


On the one hand I love me some BBQ. On the other, having one within walking distance from my place can't really be good news for my health.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 18:07
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Since the late 1990s, half the the bus routes have disappeared. Last year, there was an article in the paper that the number 10 bus might disappear.It would take billions to create a mass transit route. Who will pay for this? The lite rail is still half empty.
The city is allowing monster building to go up in areas, ignoring the fact people do use cars for travel. I know people in the Van Vorst area who travel every day to Trenton and Bergen County.


I honestly don't even know what your point is anymore.

1. The 'monster buildings' come with parking. Not a single one of the high rises that has gone up has gone up without a deck and not a single one of the decks is full. They are building more than enough parking for every high rise in the city. This is a simple fact.

2. None of the people in the VVP area really have to worry about the high rises or monster buildings, because those buildings are not in VVP. The closest is Liberty Harbor, but those buildings come with parking.

3. You must not actually use the light rail because it is packed at certain times of the day, just like the PATH is packed at certain times of the day. Is it 1/2 empty? Sometimes. It is also very full other times.


Posted on: 2015/3/9 14:27
 Top 


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home



Quote:

The PATH is not without it's problems, but as someone who is dependent on the regions other, dysfunctional transit option, I am surprised by the animus expressed towards it.


I can only imagine that the people who complain the most about the PATH have never relied on NJ transit for an extended period of time. When I first moved to JC the PATH was a revelation. I would get stuck on massively delayed NJ Transit trains about once every other week and be more than an hour late either to or from work.

I've been here for 6 years now and I've been massively delayed maybe 3 times (outside of Sandy).

Posted on: 2015/3/6 17:54
 Top 


Re: PATH (pathetic attempt at transporting humans)
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SRhia wrote:
@Dolomiti - the breakdown of common sense and the structure of the society is all around us - one just needs to see and recognize them. If one chooses to see the world with rose-colored eye glasses, then that's their choice.

Yes, the world is much "smaller" today because of technology and such, but it's easy to see the behavior of people today is very different from people of 50 / 30 / 20 years ago - and that's not because these didn't have that same thing 30 years ago (partially true), but it's because these people today are NOT thinking!!!

PS For your information, I do not read the NY times.


Well people today are also mugging and killing other people at a fraction of the rate as 30 years ago, so there is that. I'll take that trade off.

Posted on: 2015/3/6 13:25
 Top 


Re: Developers reveal plans for 35-story tower at Jersey City Pep Boys site
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
It says 10k ft of retail. That's not a lot. on a Manhattan Avenue that would be four 25' storefronts. But Manhattan commercial spaces tend to be much deeper than in JC. As I understand it one of the problems for restaurants in the historic areas is the small spaces make i hard to fit in a decent kitchen and enough seating to do well. Hence Skinners and several others being multifloor.


It's 'over 12k' (not that 2k makes a difference). If the stores are fronting a parking deck, they're going to be small.


Posted on: 2015/3/5 21:13
 Top 


Re: Developers reveal plans for 35-story tower at Jersey City Pep Boys site
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
New condo towers in Manhattan also have parking -- but it would be nice to have some commercial on the first floors!


I'f I'm not mistaken there is commercial on the first floor. Kind of like what is on Grove St with the subway/GNC tucked into the parking deck.


Check out Pic #5 on the link to the NJ.com article. Adjacent to the light rail tracks, that looks like a massive parking structure with no outward facing retail. Am I looking at it wrong?


Well it depends... They don't have to wrap the retail around all sides of the building (I wish they would though). Still, there are at least 4 openings on that side that could easily be store windows. They could also easily be garage openings, it's hard to tell, though I don't know why they would have 4 + of them.

I actually have the developer's email address. I'll see if he'll answer the question.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 20:55
 Top 


Re: Developers reveal plans for 35-story tower at Jersey City Pep Boys site
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
New condo towers in Manhattan also have parking -- but it would be nice to have some commercial on the first floors!


I'f I'm not mistaken there is commercial on the first floor. Kind of like what is on Grove St with the subway/GNC tucked into the parking deck.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:41
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Let us return to the subject of parking. The classic turn around for business is the Medical Center downtown. When the hospital was on Montgomery St, it had limited parking. Its new location has a tremendous parking lot even though it is across the street from the lite rail. The Medical Center is competing for customers across Hudson, Bergen, and Essex Counties. It could not survive without its parking lot. If this was a Aesop fairy tale, the moral of the story is, provide parking for your customers or they will go elsewhere.


Yes, let's take the case of one business as the holy grail and ignore the entirety of the rest of DT, rising rents, and the influx of new businesses. Someone forgot to tell all those new businesses they are doomed. Someone alert the owner of Park and Sixth that he can't make it work in JC before he opens up a 4th place.

While you're telling him, I'll tell tell the new arts space not to expand into HP.

Someone else tell the childhood learning center to close and Key Foods to shut down, they should never have renovated.

I'll alert Talde, and make sure the Madam Claude shuts down the wine shop and Satis doesn't go through with expanding into a new restaurant.


Obviously the one hospital is what we should look at because hospitals are very representative of all other businesses and their turnaround couldn't have anything to do with vastly improved medical facilities, because that's certainly not what people care about over parking.

Posted on: 2015/3/5 18:39
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Yvonne,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want a deck on at least every other block, so that no one has to walk in the snow.

Could you please lay out your plan for which businesses and homes you feel should be removed to allow for this?



Absolutely not, I want what was available in the 1970s. There was various public and private lots on Newark Avenue. When JC placed buildings on them many businesses moved which partially contributed to junk stores. There was a great deal of garages along Bright and Barrow in which residents parked, those are gone. When you do not accommodate businesses with parking, they leave.



Um, some thing. Which blocks do you want to clear out to add in parking? You want parking where there are now buildings. So tell us which buildings get removed.

Clearly the business environment in JC was much better in the 70s & 80s than it is now. That was a golden time for cities in America. Things are clearly much harder for businesses now evidenced by clear downturn in business prospects downtown, the crumbling storefronts and plummeting commercial rents... Clearly the removal of parking has been a disaster.



Posted on: 2015/3/5 15:46
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Yvonne,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want a deck on at least every other block, so that no one has to walk in the snow.

Could you please lay out your plan for which businesses and homes you feel should be removed to allow for this?


Posted on: 2015/3/5 12:42
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


The nice Milburn couple can add $10 to their night out and use the freaking deck that is open to the public, right next to the main business district, and never ever full.

Why is this even a discussion. We have decks. They are open to the public and they are half used. So the solution is to build more decks? How does that make sense?


Posted on: 2015/3/5 2:15
 Top 


Re: Newark Avenue Pedestrian Plaza -- Reopening?
Home away from home
Home away from home


You're assuming they have some well thought out objections other than, "Less options to get here = worse for business." As was proven in NYC, the businesses don't necessarily know what is going to help them out. With each new pedestrian plaza in NYC the local businesses would pitch a holy fit about how the city was putting them out of business and with each new plaza the local businesses made more money.

Also, there is going to be a delivery lane, so that is not an issue.


Posted on: 2015/3/4 20:37
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


Well there's this:

http://www.bestparking.com/jersey-city-parking/

It's actually missing a few smaller lots, but you get the idea.

Posted on: 2015/3/4 16:20
 Top 


Re: Of course this is not JC, Bayonne mayor wants to build municipal parking lot
Home away from home
Home away from home


I would love for someone to point out the places downtown, that weren't already filled with row houses 100 years ago, that haven't had a new deck with lots of empty spaces go up with the new construction.

Newport? Parking decks all over. Paulus hook? Parking decks all over. New constructions in the warehouse district? Parking decks. New buildings on Columbus? Parking decks.

New metroplaza construction? Parking decks. New building on Grove. Parking deck. Liberty Harbor, parking decks.

If you live near VVP or HP there aren't any parking decks, because there have been houses there since before any of us were born.

For the love of... There are f'in parking decks everywhere.


Posted on: 2015/3/4 15:05

Edited by moobycow on 2015/3/4 15:34:06
 Top 


Re: Prospective new restaurant opening in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home


I expect this will go through in one form or another, these sorts of things generally do. I just hope it isn't another pub. Oh well, I guess it's better than a pizza place.

Posted on: 2015/3/2 16:56
 Top 



TopTop
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 24 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017