Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
47 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 47

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (injcsince81)




Re: New York Waterway ferry passenger winds up in water, rescued in Jersey City
#91
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

woowookid wrote:
so he did not go overboard? he came from the waterfront?

hmmm who should we trust - the JJ and their fact finding prowess or a blogger?

is it ever really a question - the JJ gets it wrong far too often


does anyone really care about a drunk who jumped into Hudson?

Happens every day, dude.

Posted on: 2008/8/14 15:46
Top


Re: How do I Plead?
#92
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Funny!

So are there any good eats in this god forsaken place?



There are some nice Portuguese restaurants on Kearny Ave. I think it's still East Newark, although it could be Kearny already.

I worked in EN for two years. There was a nice Peruvian restaurant called Ay Calamari! on Kearny that served very good fresh seafood and cheap Chilean wine. A win-win. Restaurants tend to be smaller in EN and Kearny and have more neighborhood feel compared to those across the river in Ironbound. There is a good italian restaurant on Harrison Ave called La Fiamma. Best linguini with white clam sauce I ever had.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 20:28
Top


Re: Giant/Jets Football Schedule for DJC neighbors
#93
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

CANKICKER wrote:
I hear that Pennington is going to Greenbay as a B/U
QB......

You can't make this stuff up...


CK


This should be an interesting season.

I am a Giants fan, but I certainly don't mind some excitement from the Jets.

Posted on: 2008/8/7 14:53
Top


Re: THANK YOU!!
#94
Home away from home
Home away from home


ilikeglass - the seafood store (Scudder's) is corner of 22nd St and Ave C in Bayonne.

There is a 22nd St Light Rail Station in Bayonne, but you will have a two long-block hike from Ave E to C.

Might be worth it, particularly if you're also planning to pick up some Polish food from Henry's Deli which is 2 doors down from Scudder's.

Posted on: 2008/7/27 21:01
Top


Re: THANK YOU!!
#95
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

DragonXJC wrote:
Good find, I'll give it a try if I'm ever lost in Bayonne (which you never want to be!).


Not sure if I agree (about the being lost part), but do give them a try...

Posted on: 2008/7/25 22:22
Top


Re: The Junction Area..White Girl wants to buy.. everyone says I am crazy
#96
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

nlb1025 wrote:
Thank you all for your comments. I do not think I will do it.


Feedback from anonymous users on an internet message board is the most logical basis upon which to make important life decisions.


You are *really* a fun person, Sal/NON.

Oops, I mean a condescending piece of shite.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 21:25
Top


Re: Randy Pausch died today
#97
Home away from home
Home away from home


I will never forget a TV spot by Yul Brynner filmed when he was dying of lung cancer...

"whatever you do, don't smoke"...

Can't do much about pancreatic cancer, but lung cancer is a different kettle of fish altogether.

I quit smoking a few years (took me that long) after I saw Brynner's powerful spot.

That spot should be shown more on TV instead of that guy with no larynx trying to swim.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 19:04
Top


Re: Jersey City construction worker has $128,000 confiscated at airport
#98
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
I disagree. The article is news worthy because there obviously are people out there who do not know this is illegal. Maybe it will save someone from having this happen to them.

Ignorance and being a foreigner or terrorist is no excuse for breaking the law.


I totally resemble that remark!

Posted on: 2008/7/25 18:08
Top


Re: Jersey City construction worker has $128,000 confiscated at airport
#99
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

LynnePatrice wrote:
I disagree. The article is news worthy because there obviously are people out there who do not know this is illegal. Maybe it will save someone from having this happen to them.


Point well taken.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:55
Top


Re: THANK YOU!!
Home away from home
Home away from home


scooter - hopefully we won't be yanked for being OT, but if we are, just send me a PM, and we'll continue.

For Italian in Bayonne, I do Buon Appettito Salumeria on Broadway. Super-friendly folks (the business was sold about 5-7 years ago; the old owners used to take me to Bayonne italian social clubs to watch euro soccer - it was something else...).

For Polish, I go to Henry's Deli on 22nd/C - you can't go wrong with kielbasa for the grill, as well as other goodies.

For hearty soups in winter, go to Warsaw Deli on B-way.

For seafood (I am a seafood freak; I only tolerate super-FRESH seafood), go to Scudder's in Bayonne (corner 22nd and C). If you go, ask them what's fresh (tell the Portuguese fish-monger that the Polish guy sent you) - chances are you'll get the freshest stuff in Hudson County.

Let's patronize small businesses like these, folks.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:37
Top


Re: Jersey City construction worker has $128,000 confiscated at airport
Home away from home
Home away from home


I mean come on.

Everybody knows that you can't take more than 10G out of the country without declaring it.

128G???

What a dolt, and what a totally not-newsworthy article.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 16:06
Top


Re: THANK YOU!!
Home away from home
Home away from home


What is the place's name and exact address?

I am in Bayonne every week shopping for seafood, Italian and Polish food and would not mind one bit picking up some Mex goodies.

Btw - judging from this thread and my experience, in all the above four food categories Bayonne may may be kicking JC a$$.


Posted on: 2008/7/25 15:51
Top


Re: The Junction Area..White Girl wants to buy.. everyone says I am crazy
Home away from home
Home away from home


I think the JC RE market right now is pretty soft and may get softer.

If I had time, I'd be actively looking for properties in areas less iffy that The Junction, I'd be bombarding the sellers with lowball offers until the cows come home, and chances are that in a year or so I'd find a place that is to my liking and I won't need a bulletproof vest to come with the apartment.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 14:59
Top


Re: Assault in Van Vorst Park tonight
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SalOnTheHill wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
It's amazing the cameras didn't work again. Get rid of the basketball courts.


heights, please point out for the class the location of the basketball courts in Van Vorst Park. TIA.


Nice catch, Officer.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 13:40
Top


Re: What's going on with all the white t-shirts?
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Skadave wrote:
It's not urban camo, it's not trying to emulate prison garb, and it's not gang clothing, it's FASHION. It's the same reason you wore Z-Cavaricci's in 1989.


Tommy Hilfiger is really pissed off right now.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 20:25
Top


Re: Liberty Harbor North
Home away from home
Home away from home


I say it's safe to say that when the units actually sell.

Not to belabor the point, but if the current market crashes in the worst way (which may actually happen given the stock market declining by 2% every day, Fannie May, Freddie Mac, the dollar, the price of gas - get my drift?), the half-finished and bankrupt LHN might be a worse solution for neighboring property values than empty, weed-filled lots that were there before that.

Sometimes ability to wait for the right market is a virtue.

Think long term.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 18:24
Top


Re: Liberty Harbor North
Home away from home
Home away from home


My point is: how can you make a statement that LHN definitely boosts values of the condos nearby when their values cannot really be established, because they have not sold for a year?

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:33
Top


Re: Liberty Harbor North
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I think its definitely a boost in values for properties like the currently underdevelopment 296 Grand Street, and those other two apartment complexes next to the Brownstoner that are brand new.

.


They have not been able to sell those condos next to the Brownsone diner for close to a year now. In the first couple of months, some punks broke the windows of the model apt.

They dropped the prices about 3 months ago, now they are being offered as "rent with option to buy".

Posted on: 2008/7/11 14:30
Top


Re: Does Kannekt publish bad reviews?
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:

Also, you can post reviews in the New York's Sixth Directory.

Sushi Tango


The best site for restaurant reviews is www.yelp.com.

I cannot disagree with otnemem regarding the ST service - it has been very slow lately, but I'd say their sushi is par-for-the-course for the Northeast (ie average, or slightly better - except Manhattan).

West Coast (LA, etc) is in a totally different league.

Totally different sport.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:32
Top


Re: Living in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home


we owned a loft condo for 10 years in the Park Hamilton building.

It was quite alright, but the fire engine sirens on Manila shook the house and there were leaks when it rained.

I was there when there was nothing around, so in terms of restaurants, stores, etc it must be much better now.

Also consider the fumes from the stalled Holland Tunnel traffic two blocks away - I did not care, but if I'd have kids in the house, I'd think about it.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 16:11
Top


Re: Does Kannekt publish bad reviews?
Home away from home
Home away from home


Maybe you caught Sushi Tango on the off-day for food.

I'd characterize their sushi as better than average for this area.

I'd agree that service has been very spotty lately. We are regulars and the last few times I felt a bit neglected even as there were only a few customers besides us in the restaurant.

But then again I was hungry, so my patience was not at its best. I will give Sushi Tango a few more tries. They have a nice Cheers-like vibe going. In the summer there are nice sangrias at the bar - who says you can't fuse spanish drink with japanese food? Grace or Josh will always make you a drink the way you like it. Overall many more pluses than minuses at Sushi Tango.

Regarding Kannekt - they don't knock any business, because they need advertising $$$.

They ARE a total joke.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 15:49
Top


Re: Liberty Harbor North
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

fashionista422 wrote:
..so I think condos in Jersey City like Liberty Harbor are going to be more pricey than say, Metuchen...


Metuchen?

Metuchen?

Oh, horror....

Posted on: 2008/7/10 15:33
Top


Re: Inner Paths to Outer Space
Home away from home
Home away from home


Oy Vey.

A daydreaming, alien-believing oncologist and a psychedelic psychiatrist.

Perfect for JClist.

All go!

Now!

Posted on: 2008/7/10 14:48
Top


Re: Liberty National golf course
Home away from home
Home away from home


Brian_em:

Bayonne's design is getting RAVES from the cognoscenti.

They descibe the course as quite difficult, but looking amazingly natural considering that it is 100% man-made.

Liberty's design is getting some critisisms for being uninspiring and penal (deserved, IMO).

Both courses have been counting on Manhattan and jet-set golfers to fill the membership ranks.

But Bayonne, starting at $150K deposit filled them quickly, while Liberty, at $450K to join and unexciting design, is obviously slower to attract membership.

You can stick a fork in the Meadowlands. The developer wasted like $700 million in state funds, filed for bankruptcy, and recently Trump announced that he's taking over. But it is purely a publicity stunt IMO.

There was supposed to be a public 18-holer between JC and Kearny, but I don't know its status.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 12:59
Top


Re: Near the Holland Tunnel: Jersey City members of MoveOn.org shout "Stop the reign! Stop McCain!"
Home away from home
Home away from home


These protesters look like they are totally nuts.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 11:42
Top


JC Plumbing Permits
Home away from home
Home away from home


We are doing a bathroom renovation in a condo (new bathtub, toilet, vanity, tiles) and need a JC plumbing permit.

Our plumber is a licensed NJ contractor, but he never pulled permits in our fair town.

Can someone help us with a few basic facts:

1. I am working under assumption that plumbing (and other)permits are issued by the Office of the Construction Code Official, 30 Montgomery St, room 412. Is that correct, and if so does anyone know what time they open on Monday (the JC website gives only hours of the Satellite Office on MLK).

2. I realize that only a licensed plumber can pull a permit - can we speed things up by picking up an application for him, etc, etc? How does he actually apply for a permit? By fax?

3. How quickly are permits for a straightforward bathroom renovations (no construction) issued in JC, and is there a fast track (for extra fee) to speed the process up?

4. After the plumbing work and fixture installation work is done, how quickly can an inspection be scheduled before the work is closed and the tiling can begin? Is an inspection always required on this type of job?

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/7/4 16:17
Top


Re: Journal Square / New York Times: Ambitions Expand at Canco Lofts
Home away from home
Home away from home


I think the expansion to 1,100 units is a total lie.

They are having problems selling existing units because there is no neighborhood to speak of in the immediate vicinity, so in order to sell the units they claim they will create a new neighborhood in the future.

Yeah, and I have a bridge in Brroklyn for sale (complete with a waterfall).

Posted on: 2008/6/28 17:10
Top


Re: 2008 Street paving - Councilman Steven Fulop
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

All the townhouse-style LHN buildings are built with wood framing.

Are you surprised that they shake?


The owners keep telling themselves that when Grand Street is repaved, the problems with the shaking will be solved. I suspect actually that the reason those folks are seeing cracks is that the development is beginning to settle on some softer then expected ground.

There is a whole thread over on kannekt dedicated to what those people have termed The Shakes.


The owners of the LHN townouses need to stop telling themselves that.

Even if G-street gets repaved, there will always be a truck rumbling there, shaking their wood frames.

The owners of townhouses in LHN need to realize that they live in an 21 Century American wooden shantytown.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 19:44
Top


Re: 2008 Street paving - Councilman Steven Fulop
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

This subject was broached both at the Downtown Construction Committee meetings as well as the HPHA. We were specifically told by a city employee who works in this area (I will gladly tell you in private who this was, but I won't name him or her here because he or she is not at fault) that the decision was made to skip these two blocks because it would be too much for Macco to remove all of his barriers and that the brand new paving would be in jeopardy from all of the construction work. We were, however, promised that these two blocks of Grand would be paved as soon as the major construction was completed on Liberty Harbor. Additionally, we were assured that it would certainly happen because it was already paid for.


This is going to come back and bite them in the ass. Apparently some of the buildings in LHN are shaking violently from the vibrations as vehicles pass over the potholes on Grand. This is leading to cracks in the buildings. The cracks will lead to lawsuits, almost certainly.


All the townhouse-style LHN buildings are built with wood framing.

Are you surprised that they shake?

Posted on: 2008/6/27 18:43
Top


Re: All is not well for young Indian professionals - overheard conversations on the bus from Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

heights wrote:
First come first served, as foreign workers it should be expected that Americans get first preference for employment such as a candidate for the U.S. presidency. As for anything else the United States should give a native born citizen preferential treatment before any foreign-born individual. I'm still having trouble with trying to decipher foreign tongues speaking broken English (accents) in jobs that require verbal communication it tries and tires my patience.


There are not enough Americans with education profile/level that these foreign nationals offer.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 17:08
Top



TopTop
« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017