Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
40 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (devilsadvocate)




Re: There's a new approach for training Jersey City police recruits
#31
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Azul_the_Cat wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
More minorities on the force.

Qualified applicants.

Pick one.


I don't see how these two options are mutually exclusive. Care to elaborate on your statement?


I'll do it. No one is saying there aren't qualified minorities, but if they have the desire and are qualified then they're already on the force. Instead, when you say that the priorities are "more qualified applicants" and "more minorities" then something has to give. And when you see affirmative action applied pretty much everywhere, it has meant giving on qualifications for AA applicants. Just how it is.

Posted on: 2017/1/4 19:18
 Top 


Re: Secaucus Boy Kicked Out of Scouts Because He's Transgender (Petition)
#32
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Hamparkvet wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
@Yvonne - your position on this topic is simply close-minded and dogma-based, not science-based. You decry anything that doesn't conform to your dogma as "lies". And as far as families go - I'd bet more families are destroyed over conforming to your kind of dogma, than so-called "lying" to kids about gender. My sister divorced her husband over his bullying of my nephew - who incidentally knew he was gay at a very early age.

It's pretty arrogant to pretend to know what changes happen to the brain during early pregnancy - and how that impacts gender identity and sexual orientation - when science can't yet fully explain it. Dogma and rhetoric certainly doesn't.


My position is based on facts, if transgender truly exists, then picking our gender would be as simple as changing our clothes. The term is called body dysmorphia disorder. Some people with this disorder believes their hands or legs do not belong to their bodies and have asked doctors to cut off those parts. This is similar. It is the reason doctors have filed the lawsuit with HHS mandate and luckily they have won. You are not helping anyone who needs counseling, you are making the problem worse. We cannot pick our gender like we cannot pick our parents. Somethings in life are just a given. The only thing you can do is to make a freak out of this girl if she take hormones and have surgery to remove her breasts and implant a non-working penis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-EVp3fLpg


Yvonne, when did you choose to be heterosexual? Was it an easy decision or were there moments of doubt? I mean, you really think people choose these things?


...children also believe they have imaginery friends, that behavior also disappear when they get older...


Wait, it does?

Posted on: 2017/1/4 18:53
 Top 


Re: Fulop: despite Trump, Jersey City remains 'welcoming' to immigrants
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Only on JCList would someone say it is racist that American jobs should go to American citizens. That is the focus of my letter, I have seen many citizens, some personal friends get downsize and later their former companies hire H1B people. I have seen immigrants line up in Union City waiting to be hired by construction crews while Africian Americans asked to be hire by the same company. JC gives generous tax abatements with the idea local people are hired. The American citizen is being screwed. Yet they are the one who make sacrifices to this country especially during war times. I don't apologize for my statement.

If your American friends were better at their jobs, they wouldn't have lost them.

You're a bigot that's made anti-homosexual comments. Now, you're targeting immigrants. It sounds to me like whatever friends you have that lost jobs deservedly lost them. Tell your friends to improve their knowledge and then re-apply. Maybe they'll have a shot.

As someone that hires people (and am presently interviewing daily), if someone comes in and complains that they lost their job because the other person was an immigrant, they damn sure won't be paid by me.


You are putting Americans last, which makes you anti-America. Referring to my comments on gays, let me repeat, bakers, florists, etc. should not be forced to do something against their beliefs. Actually, I have rented to gays, but I will not call Jesus a liar when he said a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife and the two will be one flesh. The definition of marriage. I will not call Jesus a liar on the definition of marriage. But you have the free will to do that. You are a liberal who hate people who do not follow what you believe. You are not tolerate of other people's faith. Here is a woman who is following her faith, she will serve gays but will not violate her religion. You have no idea how strong faith is probably because you lack it yourself. http://www.adfmedia.org/News/PRDetail/8608

My last two hires were a male of Cuban descent and a Muslim woman.

I'm sorry you're such a bigot. I'm also sorry that you're so racist as to think that "American" just means white.

I'd say that you'll grow out of it but you've been spouting the same pathetic nonsense for far too long and you're too old to learn how wrong you are.

I'm happy with my new employees. Then again, I'm not a racist like you...


Nice strawman there...

Posted on: 2017/1/4 18:40
 Top 


Re: Fulop: despite Trump, Jersey City remains 'welcoming' to immigrants
#34
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:


All that I have read states Trump is only going after criminals.


You need to read more.


To be fair, being here illegally makes you a criminal, so...

Posted on: 2016/11/16 6:06
 Top 


Re: Trump Our New President
#35
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
china told trump to go take a hike. if trump starts a trade war, then china will stop buying boeing planes and iphones.



Less than 1% of our GDP is exports to China.
What we import from China is roughly equal to about 4% of our GDP. China has way more to lose that we do in a trade war.
trade is not a zero sum game.....you think us consumers will be happy if the prices of their cheap walmart junk suddenly starts rising rapidly? and besides, chinese manufacturers could also shift to lower cost vietnam, bangladesh and ethiopia


Well, they might not be happy at paying $2 for a plastic bauble instead of $1.25, but they'll be happier if they have jobs than if they don't. If you're like me and have a nice job then the $2 won't be a big deal but if you're poor and live in middle America, that is the difference between a life/future and depression/death.

Posted on: 2016/11/14 19:09
 Top 


Re: Trump Our New President
#36
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
china told trump to go take a hike. if trump starts a trade war, then china will stop buying boeing planes and iphones.


One simple link demonstrates who would win or lose that one: https://www.thebalance.com/u-s-china-t ... cts-and-solutions-3306277

Posted on: 2016/11/14 18:14
 Top 


Re: NOT OUR PRESIDENT
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

terryshipman wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
The old adage, inside every liberal is a totalitarian screaming to come out, is being demonstrated yet again through these "protests."

These "progressives" cannot handle the fact that they got blown out fair and square (actually, the system was rigged in favor of them but they still lost), and are resorting to immature temper tantrums in an attempt to usurp the will of the voters. Sad!


What's more concerning to me is the government recording people's voices and faces who are participating in these protests and broadcasting them on Television. This endless surveillence of American Citizens is out of control and needs to be ended immediately, but I fear it is only going to continue.

Terry S.


I used to be massively concerned with stuff like this, but now I'm starting to think it is a necessary evil. I was in NYC yesterday and the protestors are disruptive, violent, jerks and if allowed to would simply attack anyone they think supports Trump and loot the city. There should be consequences for that, and people that attend these protests should know that if they cause disruption, if they become violent or if they otherwise commit a crime, that they will go to prison.

Posted on: 2016/11/14 17:21
 Top 


Re: Trump Our New President
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Well, we know the number of Syrian Muslims coming in through a 'refugee' program will come to a virtual stop I'm sure.


It will return to the number it always should have been. And if I were an existing "refugee" I would start packing...

Posted on: 2016/11/11 17:26
 Top 


Re: Trump Our New President
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


I haven't been on here, but I've had a smile on my face since election night. My faith in this country has been restored, and seeing all the degenerates that occupy the left cry and whine is one of the best experiences of my life. Thanks America, and I can't wait until we get Donald Trump as president with a fully Republican congress, followed shortly thereafter with a conservative SCOTUS.


Posted on: 2016/11/11 17:24
 Top 


Re: Vote No for 2 city questions
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

caj11 wrote:
Quote:

Leo168 wrote:
Also, sad as it is to say, there are many seniors who work the polls and count on the money from one day at an election to help them catch up on expenses. It is only $225 a for the day, but that money can make a big difference for some people. Especially seniors on a fixed income. Vote NO to move the election.


You have got to be kidding me. The elections are not meant to be a jobs program. Keeping the elections in May just so people will have another day to work the polls and earn $ 225 is definitely NOT a reason to have separate elections. This is not about a jobs program or charity and those who worked the polls that day will have to find something else to replace that $ 225. I'm guessing those temporary jobs only go to people who are in tight with county board of elections anyway and it's not something anybody can just sign up for, all the more reason to have fewer election days.

Call up Manpower, or Adecco, or Randstad, they'll be happy to place you in a job that only lasts a day.


And in fact, this is a great reason to vote yes on that item. That money is paid by the taxpayers and should not be squandered.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 19:09
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Right. So, your case proves what? That Catholics have a long and persistent problem with their priesthood and probably need to exercise some humility on how they view other religions? I think many Catholics already know that.

Or are you trying to say that your case of a priest sodomizing boys somehow invalidate the many cases of priests sexually abusing girls, and in some cases impregnating them? Are you trying to say these priests are somehow 'gay'? You are going to have a tough time selling that one.


I am stating what happen and what the report that was done by an outside firm on the sexual abuse of minors. The majority, close to 90% (forget the exact figure) were male victims. In order to stop the sexual abuse of minors then the Catholic Church must stop allowing gay men in the church. According to many on this blog, people are born with their sexual orientation so it was gay men not straight men attacking the youth. People here want to attack the Church but they also want to dismiss who attacked the victims.


So if you don't let in gays into the priesthood (which, if you read about the history of the priesthood was exactly where gays were supposed to go) and you replace them with straight men, then all that will happen is that sexual abuse of little girls will make up a larger percentage of abuse cases. When it comes to child sex abuse, that isn't a sexual orientation issue. Both straight and gay people (though usually men in each case) do it. The real issue is the vow of celibacy, which is largely unsustainable for a huge number of people. If priests could date/marry you can bet sex abuse cases would plummet.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 17:40
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bill wrote:
I always thought the priests were straight, having the boy sex so as to not break their vows of celibacy.

Something similar to bacha bazi


What? Sex with boys isn't something straight people do, homosexual sex is still sex, and homosexuality is just an additional "sin" per church doctrine, plus add pedophilia. In other words, if you want to think about it per doctrine, sex with little boys would be worse than sex with little girls, which is worse than sex with adult girls, which is worse than doing nothing. They pretty much did the worst thing they could possibly do.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 17:34
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I'll give you Easter but do you really need a calendar to know it's Christmas?


This reminds me of justifications for not putting in race in reports of crime in media outlets ("the robbery at gunpoint was committed by a young male in his 20s wearing a red jacket") - well, you don't REALLY need to know things like race. True, but underlying reasoning is that somehow writing it out is offensive, which I find puzzling.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 15:52
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

drifterx wrote:
I think this is an exaggeration. There will always be people resisting and there are always people who are more that ready and willing to embrace the melting pot idea. You think the reason we are talking to each other in English today is because of nativists? No my friend, it is because immigrants like myself believe in America and we were welcomed by it despite my funny sounding language. I grew up here, went to school here, and work here with people who went through the same thing although not all the same experiences and with different degrees of assimilation. If you are claiming that America is over then I claim we are just getting started.


Except that your family knew learning english was part of the deal. That we had set holidays, a national language, a specific culture - and that adaptation to that was expected. That isn't really true anymore. Maybe your family would have adapted anyway, but maybe not. Regardless, other families that didn't want to adapt didn't move here. Now, they are perfectly happy moving here - after all, they can get public housing, food stamps, social security, etc.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 19:29
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
so, the "law and order" candidate, more famously known as oranged-hair donald trump was told tohave his charity stop accepting donations. i guess his non-profit had been vilating the law all these years!


Now this, this is trolling.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:55
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

drifterx wrote:
That's just bizarre. You think a melting pot is something that happens overnight? There is always resistance and it is a slow process. What you see as 'taking over' is nothing new. Even your criticism of that is nothing new. There will always be a struggle, there will always be some attempt of cultures one-upping for dominance but eventually we became America and no, we didn't all end up speaking Italian although some would probably think that's a shame.


I agree generally that this is nothing new (ergo, it isn't bizarre at all), but in the past you saw significantly less willingness to adapt to the immigrants. In fact, the melting pot isn't even seen as a goal for many today - now we're openly embracing the "tossed salad." And the reason we aren't speaking another language is because nativists, who get a bad rep today, were so unwilling to allow that change. If we don't get that kind of backlash today then we're going to get a very different result.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:54
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

drifterx wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
This, right here, is a simple example of why multi-cultural societies can't really work. You can't account for every religion out there. You have to say "ok, this society is X, here are the holidays, and if you need to take a few days for your own stuff fine but ultimately, this is these are the holidays that are this society's holidays because we are a ______ society." That's what happens in the middle east - they're Muslim. So everything is closed on Muslim holidays. Yet, for some reason we in the West have lost our way and feel the desperate need to appease every other religion out there so "they don't feel bad."

So guys, the national holidays are what they are for a reason. The reason is that this society was founded by (feel free to fill in the blank). There's zero reason to change that now - though I do note that there is a good reason to consider this when looking at our immigration policy.

The end. And yes, you can guess who I'm voting for in the election. And religiously, I'm not religious at all.


I think things like a 'multi-cultural society' doesn't work is because people would rather give up and fail to actually do the 'work'. Nothing can ever be perfect but America has been multi-cultural all these years so why are some Americans today suddenly giving up now? It was acceptable when the Irish and Italian Catholics moved in so now it isn't? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't perfect back then either. People resisted and persecuted those immigrants but our better angels prevailed and people worked at having good relations. So yeah, I have a pretty good idea on who you are voting for and it is a sad reminder of those early days but I believe in America that is inclusive and I will believe our better angels will prevail now as well.

I think it's rather sad that people cite the failure of one of this country's strengths just because they can't agree on holidays. /smh

Work it out people. It starts with talking to each other, not past each other.


Why isn't it working anymore? Because traditionally, America has been a melting pot instead of a tossed salad. In other words, in "the good old days" no one expected to adapt to immigrant cultures, immigrant cultures were supposed to assimilate into America. But if you have to let whoever shows up take over then the obvious answer is that you probably shouldn't let people show up anymore unless they're not going to screw up your life.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:24
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#48
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
hero69 has simply devolved into left wing talking points without demonstrating any willingness to consider the flaws of his own candidate.


Why should hero69 do so when there are douchebags like you so eager to do so? I welcome spirited interaction with Trump supporters, but not from trolls that want nothing more than to start arguements. And I have no doubt that devilsadvocate is just playing devils advocate.


Examples of my trolling in this thread?

Posted on: 2016/10/3 19:12
 Top 


Re: Economic violence in JC ?
#49
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Pebble wrote:
A very real case can be, and has been, made that society as a whole benefits when low income earners are not housed in one location en masse. However, an overall improvement of neighborhoods that results in a dispersal of the low income earners isn't always bad.

I think it's a bit silly to say "you should have bought in the 90's!" For all we know, the poster could have been in high school in the 90's. It wasn't until the early 2000's that mortgage companies decided that children could be given half million dollar loans to buy property.

At the moment, if suggest those that see growth to seek property outside of downtown. It certainly is true that the only protection from increasing rents is ownership.


There are arguments both ways with respect to low income earners being "spread out", at least with respect to benefits for the low income people (it is always a loss for the normal folks who actually worked hard to earn what they have, but screw em, right?) This has killed many neighborhoods, and I'll use Chicago as a good example of this. Liberals always have great counter-arguments like "oh look, but the newly spread out gangbangers are shooting people with guns, the problem is guns! Also, they're living next to middle/upper class people but they're not really sharing their money! [insert assorted drivel here]" Basically, if you took Greenville residents and spread them around DTJC, most of us would have to flee somewhere else.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 18:11
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


hero69 has simply devolved into left wing talking points without demonstrating any willingness to consider the flaws of his own candidate.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 18:06
 Top 


Re: Disrespecting "other" religions
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


This, right here, is a simple example of why multi-cultural societies can't really work. You can't account for every religion out there. You have to say "ok, this society is X, here are the holidays, and if you need to take a few days for your own stuff fine but ultimately, this is these are the holidays that are this society's holidays because we are a ______ society." That's what happens in the middle east - they're Muslim. So everything is closed on Muslim holidays. Yet, for some reason we in the West have lost our way and feel the desperate need to appease every other religion out there so "they don't feel bad."

So guys, the national holidays are what they are for a reason. The reason is that this society was founded by (feel free to fill in the blank). There's zero reason to change that now - though I do note that there is a good reason to consider this when looking at our immigration policy.

The end. And yes, you can guess who I'm voting for in the election. And religiously, I'm not religious at all.

Posted on: 2016/10/3 18:04
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
oh snap-wappa-doo, one of donald's hotel companies violated us embargo on cuba.

http://www.politico.com/states/florid ... lated-cuba-embargo-105927


Another awesome role reversal. Suddenly Democrats, who have always massively opposed the Cuban embargo, the one Obama weakened, care deeply about enforcing this.
pathetic response....just more proof of donald ignoring the law. don't for got about the clown using his charitiy to pay his legal bills.


I'll say this - both of these candidates play it fast and loose when it comes to operating within the boundaries of the law (like running a secret server holding classified info in your basement). Everyone broke some laws at some point - Obama freakin' talked about doing drugs. I break the law every day - by speeding on my way to work. Many people I know travel to Cuba through Canada because they think that's so cool. So the question is really "have people been breaking laws that we really care about." What is more interesting is that Democrats are deeply concerned about the Cuban embargo in particular.
nope, trump CLEARLY broke the law on several times. clinton was clearly careless; she may have broken rules but as executive in charge of state she had the authority to do as she did


NO! NO! NO! Clinton did not break rules??? She broke the laws that protect state secrets! You sound like you are defending the CEOs of the corrupt companies responsible for the 2008 Market Crash. Those market manipulators and the CEOs should have gone to jail... should have HRC.
roflmao. just ignore big guy's false narrative. clinton is careless, trump is criminal - breaking embargoes and misusing his charity. donald is levels below hillary on the ethics scale


Uh, you think she just "carelessly" setup a secret email server and then "carelessly" had her people destroy all the evidence she could to try to cover it up? Really? Plus, she was acting as a public servant while Trump was just a businessman. Neither is great but Clinton is actually worse.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 3:49
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#53
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
oh snap-wappa-doo, one of donald's hotel companies violated us embargo on cuba.

http://www.politico.com/states/florid ... lated-cuba-embargo-105927


Another awesome role reversal. Suddenly Democrats, who have always massively opposed the Cuban embargo, the one Obama weakened, care deeply about enforcing this.
pathetic response....just more proof of donald ignoring the law. don't for got about the clown using his charitiy to pay his legal bills.


I'll say this - both of these candidates play it fast and loose when it comes to operating within the boundaries of the law (like running a secret server holding classified info in your basement). Everyone broke some laws at some point - Obama freakin' talked about doing drugs. I break the law every day - by speeding on my way to work. Many people I know travel to Cuba through Canada because they think that's so cool. So the question is really "have people been breaking laws that we really care about." What is more interesting is that Democrats are deeply concerned about the Cuban embargo in particular.
nope, trump CLEARLY broke the law on several times. clinton was clearly careless; she may have broken rules but as executive in charge of state she had the authority to do as she did


I CLEARLY break the law speeding. Obama CLEARLY broke the law doing drugs. Clinton did not CLEARLY break the law because she took significant steps to hide her criminal activity (which involved mishandling classified data in order to avoid accountability at later points in time while in public office), making it no longer clear. If you don't see why that's not a point in her favor I don't know what to tell you. Clearly breaking a law that no one cares about, which most people do every day, isn't nearly as bad as hiding activity that is likely illegal but involves exactly the sort of thing that the job of POTUS deals with every day.


Posted on: 2016/9/30 2:50
 Top 


Re: Economic violence in JC ?
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
This thread is intellectual violence.


Best comment of the day...!


Agreed.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 21:04
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
oh snap-wappa-doo, one of donald's hotel companies violated us embargo on cuba.

http://www.politico.com/states/florid ... lated-cuba-embargo-105927


Another awesome role reversal. Suddenly Democrats, who have always massively opposed the Cuban embargo, the one Obama weakened, care deeply about enforcing this.
pathetic response....just more proof of donald ignoring the law. don't for got about the clown using his charitiy to pay his legal bills.


I'll say this - both of these candidates play it fast and loose when it comes to operating within the boundaries of the law (like running a secret server holding classified info in your basement). Everyone broke some laws at some point - Obama freakin' talked about doing drugs. I break the law every day - by speeding on my way to work. Many people I know travel to Cuba through Canada because they think that's so cool. So the question is really "have people been breaking laws that we really care about." What is more interesting is that Democrats are deeply concerned about the Cuban embargo in particular.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 21:03
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#56
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

hero69 wrote:
oh snap-wappa-doo, one of donald's hotel companies violated us embargo on cuba.

http://www.politico.com/states/florid ... lated-cuba-embargo-105927


Another awesome role reversal. Suddenly Democrats, who have always massively opposed the Cuban embargo, the one Obama weakened, care deeply about enforcing this.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 20:22
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#57
Home away from home
Home away from home


You probably should have gone on to college and grad school. You would have learned that citing to an editorial article isn't particularly meaningful.

As to Americans that were sympathetic to the Nazis - you're right, they absolutely existed. Their Nazi sympathizing organizations are not being honored by the US federal government and if they were, I would find that extremely disturbing. If we had say, a major powerful nationally supported militia with a Nazi symbol as an insignia, I would start to wonder what is going on and whether this great "revolution" was indeed a great thing.

As to MH17, anyone who has been following the conflict knows exactly what happened. This was in that period when the Ukrainian government was using air power to bomb rebel cities. The rebels just got anti-aircraft weapons. The flight controllers made zero adjustment based on this, so the inevitable happened. No one really thinks it was intentional, at least if they're honest. But here's the funny thing here - imagine for a second that the Syrian rebels used an anti-aircraft weapon and accidentally downed a civilian aircraft. The US would immediately exclaim that this is further excuse for a no fly zone. Here? It is the rebels being terrible people because they're defending their cities from being bombed. Like I said initially, it is really the approach in US foreign policy that is fascinating to me.

Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
So is the policy you're promoting that if Russia is for it, we're against it? So should we be for ISIS and for other assorted Islamist crazies? This is a ridiculous way to look at the world. There's no real reason the US and Russia aren't/shouldn't be geopolitically aligned on most issues.


I was on my HS debate team and sorry I'm not going to play your game. But this may be of interest to some JClisters -

The Opinion Pages | EDITORIAL
Vladimir Putin?s Outlaw State
By THE EDITORIAL BOARDSEPT. 29, 2016

President Vladimir Putin is fast turning Russia into an outlaw nation. As one of five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, his country shares a special responsibility to uphold international law. Yet, his behavior in Ukraine and Syria violates not only the rules intended to promote peace instead of conflict, but also common human decency.

This bitter truth was driven home twice on Wednesday. An investigative team led by the Netherlands concluded that the surface-to-air missile system that shot down a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine in July 2014, killing 298 on board, was sent from Russia to Russian-backed separatists and returned to Russia the same night. Meanwhile, in Syria, Russian and Syrian warplanes knocked out two hospitals in the rebel-held sector of Aleppo as part of an assault that threatens the lives of 250,000 more people in a war that has already claimed some 500,000 Syrian lives.

Russia has tried hard to pin the blame for the airline crash on Ukraine. But the new report, produced by prosecutors from the Netherlands, Australia, Belgium, Malaysia and Ukraine, confirms earlier findings. It uses strict standards of evidence and meticulously documents not only the deployment of the Russian missile system that caused the disaster but also Moscow?s continuing cover-up...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/opi ... on-c-col-left-region&_r=0



Durning WWII there were Americans that thought we should be working with Hitler, and were pleased when refugees - Jews in particular were turned away. Trump supporters are on the wrong side of history again. And if they believe he's a Republican they have been fooled.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 18:24
 Top 


Re: Economic violence in JC ?
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Economic violence is a type of violence committed by individuals or groups preying on economically disadvantaged individuals. In some circumstances the individuals may be service workers such as undocumented workers and food service workers,[1][2][3] in others they may be spouses,[4] or closeted gays.[5] The World Health Organization defines it as being a form of collective violence, committed by larger groups towards individuals.[6] The term is frequently associated with, or credited to, feminist theory, who term it as a broader form of violence beyond use or threats of physical force, to include sexual, psychological and economic violence.[7] In Argentinian law, it is defined as a form of domestic violence.[8]

its a thing


If you click the wiki link to "violence" at the very start of that, they point to a definition of physical harm. So this definition also encompasses things like abuse of domestic workers and other poor people. That is a very real thing and there are parts of the world where these people are essentially modern slaves, complete with being whipped or otherwise tortured when they displease their masters. You see this quite a bit with domestic workers in Saudi Arabia or fishermen in S.E. Asia, for example.

Expanding this to include needing to move because your apartment you're renting is sold or your rent is otherwise increased is nuts. Like I know we like to do this as a society (two drunk teens having intercourse is rape, just like the violent crime) but it is a stupid trend.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 18:06
 Top 


Re: 9/26/2016: Presidential Debate (Hofstra)
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

devilsadvocate wrote:
The new Democratic party belligerence towards Russia and general militarism is fascinating. This is the party throughout the cold war wanted peace with the USSR, and thought we could learn a thing or two about Communism. Russia today, of course, isn't Communist at all and instead has a fairly conservative government (complete with a flat tax). Suddenly, you have people like Clinton wanting to fight Russia in Syria and Ukraine. People who thought Vietnam - which had Communists attempting to invade an allied democracy, wasn't a just war. But backing Islamist armies in Syria is fine (er, "moderate rebels"), backing a bunch of people in Ukraine who honor WW2 era leaders that sided with the Nazis is also a great idea. Also, while the Iraq war was a wasteful expense, we should pay for NATO without questioning any of the expenses. It is completely bizarre.


Thank you Comrade devilsadvocate, but you have two personalities on JCLIST. And this one - the devilsadvocate is the opposite of the other! Ha Ha!

Good arguments and the Russian Federation agrees with you. F*** NATO. NATO is no good! F*** Ukraine, which belongs to Russian Federation. F*** Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania. They are little chickens that will soon be back in the coop! Russian Federation needs US president that can "look the other way" ha ha! Crimea is nice this time of year don't you agree?

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP, make Russian Federation...I mean America, great again!

Oh and DO NOT read this (right wing enough?):
http://index.heritage.org/military/20 ... rther-russian-aggression/


Yeah, the former Soviet Union is not really the US or Europe's problem. For a bunch of reasons, the most basic one being that there's zero reason to die for a regional conflict, plus few in the US understand (or care about) the history or the inherent intricacies. How many Americans have any idea what the status of Ukraine or Crimea was before the USSR? That's just one example. The result ends up being that Americans support "new Ukraine" - which basically is just different oligarchs fleecing the population, now promoting Ukrainian nationalism to keep the population focused on something other than the fact that they're no better off than before their "revolution" (and in fact, in many ways quite a bit worse off).

And NATO was fine when it was the US, France, the UK and other core allies. When they started bringing in Turkey, they had jumped the shark. As they expanded into E. Europe - it was purely strategic. It wasn't about protecting similar nations with intertwined histories and cultures, it was about projecting power and influence. The result of that kind of approach to the world? A massive national debt that we have no idea how we will repay.

Finally, absolutely many Republicans hate Russia. McCain, Romney, and plenty of others come to mind. What is fascinating to me is that in this election the Democrat is playing the role of warmongering while Trump isn't. Except that Democrats are falling into line.



Priceless watching that dolt Kerry snivel to the Russians about pulling out of the "peace talks". We should be aligned with the Russians and Assad against the Muslim terror groups. I am tired of nation building.

I saw on the news today that Obama now has 5000 US troops in Iraq. If him and Hillary left the 15000 in there 8 years ago... Iran would not be in control of Iraq, ISIS never would have formed and we would not have this manufactured refugee crisis.


Good work Comrade TheBigGuy. The Russian Federation approves of your comments! Kerry is dolt! Obama is monkey with banana! Russian Federation working hard to elect Trump! Trump will make Russian Federation Great Again ... and Bigger!


So is the policy you're promoting that if Russia is for it, we're against it? So should we be for ISIS and for other assorted Islamist crazies? This is a ridiculous way to look at the world. There's no real reason the US and Russia aren't/shouldn't be geopolitically aligned on most issues.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:53
 Top 


Re: Economic violence in JC ?
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
I'd define economic violence as a disregard for others in the name of profit for oneself.

A for instance:

Realtors constantly knocking on people's homes pestering them to sell which could lead to the ousting of long term tenants.


LOL, do you know what violence is? That isn't violence. Maybe "gentrification related solicitation?" If you want to really stretch things, maybe use "harassment" instead of solicitation? Economic violence suggests people getting assaulted, possibly with weapons.

Anyway, I think it JC gentrification is awesome. If you don't like being scared of losing your rental, you should probably buy. No one has a right to stay in their rental at low prices forever, nor should they. Needless to say, I own a row home here.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:50
 Top 



TopTop
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 25 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017