Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
26 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 26

more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts (Dolomiti)




Re: Tax Lien
#31
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I find it amazing that people here says $16,000 is an underpayment.

That's because if your home is worth $2.2 million, then yes, $16k is a MASSIVE underpayment.


Quote:
There were properties in the Van Vorst community that was paying over $20,000 a year before reval.

So what?

Only 243 properties were billed at $20k or more per year. That is 0.5% of all properties.

Guess what? Only 80 of those properties had their taxes increased. 163 had their taxes reduced. Why should they have to pay higher taxes? So that YOU can get a tax break, for no reason whatsoever, while the value of your property increases?


Quote:
My late friend, Joe Duffy, had a house on Grand St. After his death, the row house, around 20 feet wide was turned into a 3 unit condo....

And yet again! You don't give a crap about the people who were overtaxed.

Shame on you. Shame.

Posted on: 2018/12/3 22:30
Top


Re: Tax Lien
#32
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Brewster, government pays not one penny in taxes, it comes from the people. If your taxes went from $16,000 as some I know and is now $35,000, it is not net neutral for them.

You have no excuse for such incredibly inaccurate and biased claims.

You've known about this more than long enough to understand that the reval is revenue-neutral.

I just reviewed Appraisal System's assessment list. Out of 43,000 properties, only two homes seem to have gone from $16k to $35k.

Guess what? Their taxes went up, because their assessed values went from $200,000 to $2,200,000.

Guess what else? If the city budget was still around $485m, their taxes would have still increased dramatically.

Guess what else? As already noted, those units underpaid their fair share of taxes for decades. If they owned the unit since the last reval, a ballpark guess is that they didn't have to pay $300,000 in taxes -- none of which they have to pay back.

Guess what else? Someone else in Jersey City paid more taxes so that your buddy could get an unfair tax break.

Guess what else? Half of Jersey City residents were overtaxed. Half. Why don't you ever express the tiniest iota of sympathy for them?

Resisting the reval, or trying to roll it back, or trying to give people a tax break solely because they used to have a deeply unfair tax break, is the epitome of selfishness. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted on: 2018/12/3 21:25
Top


Re: Tax Lien
#33
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Take a look at some of the neighborhoods that existed before Manhattan became the metropolis that it is now. Jersey City is well into that transformation now....

You do realize that has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion?

Posted on: 2018/12/3 17:28
Top


Re: Tax Lien
#34
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
No, it means spending has increased over time....

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Ridiculously wrong.

The reval is revenue-neutral. The total property tax bill for Jersey City did not change because of the reval.

What the reval does is rebalance the payments to make them more fair. Thus, some people's property taxes went up -- and other people's property taxes went down.

I find it hard to believe you don't know this by now.

Posted on: 2018/12/3 17:21
Top


Re: Tax Lien
#35
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
There appears to be a pretty cavalier attitude about the people who've lived in their homes for many decades who are now in a terrible state because of the huge tax burden which some are now facing. Try to understand what it would mean to people who are in their seventies and eighties being told: " aww, just move out or take a reverse mortgage".

If you have lived in the same home for decades, and your property taxes shot up during the reval, this means....

• The value of your property has increased significantly over that time.

• The city failed to adjust your assessment, meaning you essentially underpaid your taxes for decades. That means someone else in JC was taxed more to make up the difference.

• If your taxes went from $6000 to $12000, that probably means you were not obligated to pay $60,000 or more over the years -- and someone else paid it instead. From what I can tell, none of the complainers give a second thought to the people who received tax relief after the reval. (This may be due to the complexities of the system, but I'm sure some of it is due to good ol' self-centeredness too.)

• This did not happen overnight. It was in the works for years. Those residents had plenty of time to prepare. If you were shocked, you weren't paying attention.

We should also note that a lot of the people whose taxes went up are not fragile retirees on a fixed income. It includes the people who bought in the past 5-10 years, i.e. lots of young professionals who could afford to buy in DTJC.

This is why my sympathy for the complainers is limited. It is also why the city should do revals every 3-5 years, instead of every 30 years.

Posted on: 2018/12/2 23:43
Top


Re: Anyone planning to appeal 2018 property tax increases?
#36
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

66romaine wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll read through the links. In the meantime, what are these "comps"?

"Comps" means "comparable sales to your property."

Posted on: 2018/11/29 3:22
Top


Re: Anyone planning to appeal 2018 property tax increases?
#37
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

66romaine wrote:
So annoying to see Fulop patting himself on the back when my property taxes DOUBLED. Anyway, from what I understand, the window for the appeals process opens on Jan 10 of 2019. I'd be interested to know if anyone has gone through the process previously and/or what to know/expect? I'm sure the city will make it as annoying and painful as possible so trying to learn what I can now in order to prepare. Thanks in advance.

Your taxes are based on the market value of your property. An appeal will be based not on how much your taxes increased, but your ability to prove that the assessor got it wrong. You do this basically by filling out a form, and listing comparable sales to your property.

So no, it's not particularly annoying or painful. A good description is here:
https://civicparent.org/2018/06/07/jer ... ic-step-by-step-overview/

Posted on: 2018/11/27 1:26
Top


Re: Jersey City bursting at seams with population surge
#38
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Gezzzz... not sure a morose DB personality like yours can be fixed but we can only hope that you will seek the help you desperately need.

I know this is off-topic, but... Did you really not get the Simpsons reference?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/11/17 18:14
Top


Re: Worst traffic ever
#39
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Snowstorm brought to you by Mother Nature.

Ensuing chaos and cluster-eff brought to you by Murphy, Fulop and the rest of the social, liberal Dems!!

Or:

The storm hit much harder than predicted -- it was the worst one-day November snowfall in well over 100 years. As a result, no one was prepared. Not municipalities, not commuters, not transit agencies. Once you had a bunch of vehicles stuck on the roads, the plows and salt spreaders had no way to get through, and couldn't clear anything.

The only way this could have been avoided is if the politicians blatantly ignored the forecast, and committed to expending resources to treat a light dusting like a minor blizzard. At the time that decision had to be made, it would have seemed like an unjustifiable extravagance, and a wasteful one as well.

No one was going to do that. No one did do that. If they had, and it was a light dusting, they would have been raked over the coals for wasting money.

Posted on: 2018/11/17 17:58
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#40
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bluehorse wrote:
Between Amazon’s 25,000 and Google’s 12,000 new employees, downtown JC will definitively be effected. Even if Amazon employees don’t end up living in JC, they will displace some people who will.

NYC grows by at least 100k per year -- and not all of the Amazon jobs will be filled by people moving to NYC. In fact, a big reason for Amazon picking NYC is to hire people who are already in NYC, or already planning to move to NYC. I.e. we won't see 37,000 new people house hunting in JSQ next weekend.

Plus, whatever the impact is, it will be spread over literally millions of housing units. JC is 5-8 miles and two rivers (or: 1 hour on two strained train systems) away from LIC. That distance covers huge swaths of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Hoboken, parts of the so-called Gold Coast....

The biggest impact will obviously be on LIC -- which is already undergoing a housing boom. Again, it's been gentrifying and building for years now. Over 1400 units were approved this year for LIC, and that was before HQ2.5 was announced.

I assume most of those new units will be aimed squarely at those high income earners; and since DTJC is already gentrified and other PATH-adjacent areas are already on their way, unfortunately I don't think there is much room for those pushed out by rising prices.

I cheerily admit I prefer this kind of narrative to the "OMG we're in a bubble we will all be underwater on our mortgages next week!!!" But overall, I expect the effects on JC will be indirect and small.

If Amazon had selected Newark, that would be a completely different story.

Posted on: 2018/11/15 16:58
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#41
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
The JC to Queens commute is not great, with both the PATH *and* the E/R trains getting very crowded.


Several of my clients moved from the garment center to LIC. Honestly, the travel time is the same since I'm not fighting my way to walk 1/2 mile through the crowded midtown streets. So, can JC be worth the extra fare to commute to LIC? Given that an unlimited Smartlink card is $1000/yr, you can easily save that in 2 months of rent over equivalent areas of Queens. Transferring at 23rd street to the F is a snap.

I'll also point out that outdoor recreation opportunities were on that list of requirements. I guess they downgraded it, but getting to the Catskills or Poconos is FAR easier from JC than Queens, one reason we moved here rather than Brooklyn 20 years ago.

I had a client make almost the exact same move. My travel time nearly doubled. So did my travel costs.

"Fighting you way through the streets?" Really?

LIC has also gentrified quite a bit in the past 10-15 years, with lots of housing and amenities already in the pipeline. LIC will be almost completely transformed by the time HQ 2½ is up and running.

Jersey City would be pretty low on the list if I landed a high-paying job in LIC today.

Posted on: 2018/11/14 2:23
Top


Re: New Amazon HQ
#42
Home away from home
Home away from home


Well, it's official.

Long Island City
Arlington VA
plus 5000 jobs in Nashville

I don't expect this will have a big impact on JC, though it is plausible that some people who will be priced out of LIC/Queens could move to affordable parts of JC.

Posted on: 2018/11/13 15:03
Top


Re: Jersey City Transforms Parking Spots into Parklets
#43
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Dolomiti, course they are near traffic, actually, there is one not far from a fire station in the heights.

Good grief. It uses a single parking space! It doesn't stick into the street. It doesn't take up more space than a parked car. It doesn't cause more traffic. And it is nowhere near the out-of-town traffic that you were just blaming for increased traffic accidents.



Quote:
With the city removing parking and these parklets, it is just easier to shop and go to a restaurant outside JC.

They're using five parking spots. FIVE. The idea that this will have even the slightest dent on the number of available parking spaces, in a city the size of JC, is utterly irrational.

Plus, Jersey City doesn't have to orient its entire public policy around cars. Quite the opposite.


Quote:
The hassle is not worth it.

There is no hassle. Thus, by definition it is worth it.


Quote:
Why doesn't the city do a survey and ask residents where they shop and why?

Because we elect representatives to make decisions like this. That's how a representative democracy works.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 1:33
Top


Re: Jersey City Transforms Parking Spots into Parklets
#44
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
JC has turnpike traffic, the Holland Tunnel Traffic, 1&9 Traffic, 139 Traffic plus people coming here from Bayonne and North Hudson.

None of the parklets are anywhere near any of that traffic.

None of the parklets will cause any accidents. There is no rational reason for anyone to believe they will cause any accidents. They are literally the size of a normal parking space. They will be surrounded by parked cars. There is no risk.

Stop the fear mongering.


Quote:
Part of the reason why there are accidents in JC has to do with the traffic lights. Unlike other cities, our lights are not uniform. One block is green but the next is red.

This happens everywhere. It doesn't cause accidents.


Quote:
So many cars including buses rush through because they know they would have to wait.

This also happens all over.


Quote:
Other cities have continuous lights of green or red which eliminate the need to rush plus our streets are very narrow unlike NYC.

Please, stop being silly.

Some major arterioles, including in JC, time the lights. Other roads are not timed. These policies don't really cause or stop accidents.

Posted on: 2018/9/26 18:41
Top


Re: Jersey City Transforms Parking Spots into Parklets
#45
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When a car or bus loses control we will see how long these parklets last.

Egads

These spots are literally the same size as a parking space. There is absolutely no justification whatsoever to claim they will cause any vehicle to "lose control."

Cue next rationalization in 3, 2, 1....

Posted on: 2018/9/24 20:12
Top


Re: 2018 Property Tax payments: 3rd & 4th Quarter information
#46
Home away from home
Home away from home


My bank says they haven't received the tax bill yet.

Posted on: 2018/8/23 19:30
Top


Re: I've seen pre-construction sales but this is ridiculous! 323 7th St
#47
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:

A broken clock isn't actually correct, because it isn't actually working. It never accurately tells you the real time, because even if it's busted at 10:20, and the time is 10:20, you can't rely on the clock to be informing you that it is, in fact, 10:20 when you happen to be looking at it.


That's the entire point of the saying, you dolt.

1) Insults like that are uncalled for, and do not help you make your point.

2) Since you obviously missed it: Brewster used the cliche to suggest that predictions of imminent real estate doom in DT JC are justified, even if they wrong over and over and over again, because eventually someone who makes that prediction will be "right." I'm pointing out that isn't the case.

E.g. If you rub two stones together and say "this will make it rain tomorrow" every single day, then you are still not correct on the day that it inevitably rains.

So, if you exit a real estate market 3+ years before there is a crash, based on a poor predictor (e.g. a few properties whose price is absurd), you may pay a steeper price than exiting shortly after property prices increase by 25% per year. And even if you miraculously exit the market at the perfect time, that still doesn't prove that your "indicator" actually works.

Get it?

Posted on: 2018/8/16 14:01
Top


Re: I've seen pre-construction sales but this is ridiculous! 323 7th St
#48
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
I have to point out that people on JC List (not the people posting in this thread so far) have seen "signs" of bubbles and bursts for at least 3 years now.


Sometimes, as last time, these thing have so many moving parts and outside forces it's hard to predict. Even a broken clock is eventually right! I see prices going sky high, but not rents or salaries. That spells trouble to me, but I already admitted to being too timid to buy in this market.

Did you read the article about the dude who had been predicting the economic disaster in Turkey for at least 6 years? He was right, it just took time.

A broken clock isn't actually correct, because it isn't actually working. It never accurately tells you the real time, because even if it's busted at 10:20, and the time is 10:20, you can't rely on the clock to be informing you that it is, in fact, 10:20 when you happen to be looking at it.

Someone who predicts doom for JC real estate, and gets the reasons totally wrong, and the timing totally wrong? Sorry, but they are still wrong. And very, very few people get it right most of the time. (Read Phil Tetlock's books for a thorough examination of the inaccuracy of human predictions.)

Posted on: 2018/8/15 3:31
Top


Re: I've seen pre-construction sales but this is ridiculous! 323 7th St
#49
Home away from home
Home away from home


I have to point out that people on JC List (not the people posting in this thread so far) have seen "signs" of bubbles and bursts for at least 3 years now. Such as sky-high prices on individual properties, or crowded PATH trains, or the reval, or...

One individual said that April 2015 was the time to sell, not buy. Since then, the median list price has gone from $300k to almost $600k. I wonder if that person took their own advice?

The fundamentals haven't changed much in the past 3 years. NYC is still insanely expensive. Inventory is still incredibly tight. Interest rates are still low. PATH, as much as you may hate it, is still better than driving or NJ Transit or buses.

I don't have a crystal ball, I have no better idea than anyone else what will happen in 1 or 2 or 10 years. I just don't find the constant expectations of a huge crash to be particularly useful or accurate.

Posted on: 2018/8/15 1:02
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#50
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

light12v wrote:
I Did Read His Response, Completely...

Apparently not. It's not that complicated.


Quote:
so that I might understand WHY he believes what he states here.

I don't believe it. I'm illustrating that Yvonne is a hypocrite, and that her irrational ad hoc rationalization blew up in her face.

Posted on: 2018/8/12 23:09
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#51
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

light12v wrote:
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

light12v wrote:
WHY Dolomiti ??

Seriously? You can't figure this out?

Yvonne is saying that I do not have the right to make any changes to any existing public policy. But if I don't have the right to advocate for any changes, then neither does she.

I.e. I'm illustrating that her position is irrational and hypocritical. It went over her head, of course, because she's behaving irrationally and hypocritically. So it goes.


I figure this out as it proceeds, based upon All of the Shitstorm Sideshows going on in or about JC in these times and a Pacer account.

My Question to you is Only about your text words that I have converted to Bold.......so again, I am asking you WHY ???

I already answered your question.

Posted on: 2018/8/12 23:06
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#52
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

light12v wrote:
WHY Dolomiti ??

Seriously? You can't figure this out?

Yvonne is saying that I do not have the right to make any changes to any existing public policy. But if I don't have the right to advocate for any changes, then neither does she.

I.e. I'm illustrating that her position is irrational and hypocritical. It went over her head, of course, because she's behaving irrationally and hypocritically. So it goes.

Posted on: 2018/8/11 17:57
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#53
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Dolomiti, where are the by-laws here that says, I must respond to what you say? I gave you my statement.

No one said you have to respond to me. You chose to do so, of your own free will. And I chose to point out that a) your response is illogical, and b) your response did not answer my question.

And in case you missed the sarcasm: Your ad hoc rationalization does not work. Period.

I mean, really. Read your own statement. You're saying I don't have the right to any opinion about anything in the city. If something was decided before I moved here? I have no say. If something was decided after I moved here? I still have no say. But, of course, you and anyone who agrees with you are not bound by this requirement.

Nuts to that. I have the same right to express my opinion as you, and any other resident of this city. I don't lose that right because you don't like what I have to say.

Posted on: 2018/8/6 23:59
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#54
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Bike_Lane wrote:
The statue will have a nice prominent location and there will be a nice park at ExPl. Who can be upset about that?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/8/6 23:29
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#55
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Dolomiti, the Katyn monument has been there for over 30 years, if you were here, then you had the opportunity to speak at the city council meeting that you did not want it. If you came later, then you moved into a city that already had the statue and chose to stay.

Yeah, you might want to rethink that.

You had the opportunity to speak against the pedestrian plaza on Newark. It happened anyway. By your own logic, you should just accept it, and give up any future opportunity to reverse it.

You had the opportunity to speak against moving the statue. It happened anyway. By your own logic, you should just accept it, and forsake any future opportunity to reverse this decision.

You had the opportunity to vote for someone other than Fulop. He was properly elected as Mayor. You had your shot, it didn't go your way, and by your own logic you should quietly and humbly accept the consequences... and not complain.

P.S. You didn't answer my question. Why am I not surprised.

Posted on: 2018/8/6 23:25
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#56
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
This is really one of the dumbest battles I've ever heard of. Surprised how much time is collectively wasted on this effort which will ultimately fail.

It's not like they are demolishing the hideous statue - 1 frigged over.

Hilarious.


Actually, you are right, my opinion does not matter, but the people who signed these petitions do matter as a group. A black veteran who signed the petition was upset that the mayor would move a war memorial. His opinion counts.

So does mine.

I'm not upset. It's an ugly and gruesome statue. I am 100% fine with it being moved and/or replaced.

Should his opinion matter more than mine? Nope. We're equals, we both get an equal say, both our opinions weigh the same. So why are you crediting his opinion more than mine?

Posted on: 2018/8/5 14:16
Top


Re: Where is Gov Murphy?
#57
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I don’t begrudge our President, or Murph having security on vacations. I only object when one wouldn’t say where the protection is occurring.

Did you complain when Christie took off on a secret vacation in 2011? If you did, I see no sign of it...

https://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011 ... ie_heads_on_two-week.html

Posted on: 2018/8/2 0:23
Top


Re: Boonton Reservoir
#58
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
oreoz, you remind me of the naysayers who said the World Trade Center will never come down after the first bombing in 1993.

What the....

New York State allows hiking, fishing, boating and other forms of recreation at many of is reservoirs. That's just a fact.

We should also note that it's not like Boonton Reservoir is hermetically sealed from human influence. 287 runs right along the reservoir's west side; 46 runs along the southern end; there are suburban neighborhoods along the north and eastern sides.

Runoff from all of those areas goes into the reservoir, which is why... say it with me now... The water is filtered and treated AFTER it leaves the reservoir.

There is no threat whatsoever by allowing access. None whatsoever. Nearby residents get a little more green space; JC builds some goodwill. Everyone wins.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 18:14
Top


Re: Boonton Reservoir
#59
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
YES. Another loss for Yvonne and her NIMBY army.

It's not their backyard this time

Posted on: 2018/7/25 14:26
Top


Re: Okay, so who here thinks the Katyn monument needs to go?
#60
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
None of this change the fact that a third independent party should be checking these signatures.

You only want a recheck because you lost. Badly. That is not a valid justification.

It's a done deal. Enjoy the statue's new location.

Posted on: 2018/7/24 22:33
Top



TopTop
« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 35 »






Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017