Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
28 user(s) are online (19 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 3
Guests: 25

hamhock, zimbu1234, Yvonne, more...


Forum Index


Board index » All Posts




Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
other things to hate: running water, electricity, equal rights, cancer research, airplanes, microwave popcorn, Tivo...

UGH, progress is so totally annoying!


Ehh I wouldnt call building a bunch of ugly condos and filling them with Manhattan run off(not to be confused with pie run off) progress. All that ever does is push long time residents , renters too! away from JC to make way for you know what. Now we are left with a continuation of Hoboken, wonderful.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 21:06
Top


Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

JOGI wrote:
... I just stuck my nose in here because it seemed like people really wanted some answers and I felt I could help out.


ah, see, that was your first mistake.

i appreciate hearing your point of view and commend you for standing behind your work and making your point of view known.

you could have lined the streets with gold coins and installed a real live cop, a flowery rose bush, and a diet coke machine dispensing free 20 oz bottles on each corner and people would still complain about it around here. it's what we do. it's chronic and it's a shame.

keep your sense of humor!

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:33
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


other things to hate: running water, electricity, equal rights, cancer research, airplanes, microwave popcorn, Tivo...

UGH, progress is so totally annoying!

Posted on: 2009/11/10 20:02
Top


Re: Jersey City Protesters Picket AIG, Slam Big Bonuses -- "You Got Bailed Out! We Got Sold Out!"
Home away from home
Home away from home


folks should also be pissed at the billions being pumped into Fannie and Freddie. These GSE's should be dismantled and the jobs/funding to should go to 100 new private sector players. How come I never head about 1000's of these morons getting fired?

All this bonus money should go out to common share dividends.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 19:30
Top


Re: $12.4 million land purchase on Jersey City Council agenda - land on Routes 1 & 9 and Central Ave
Home away from home
Home away from home


Jersey City Council tables $4.6M purchase

By Melissa Hayes/The Jersey Journal
November 10, 2009, 6:41PM

At the urging of Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop the Jersey City Council moved to table a $4.6 million purchase for the Parking Authority.

The funds would have been used to purchase the property at 392-394 Central Ave., which the Parking Authority has been renting.

Fulop said the appraisal was conducted in April 2008 and he feels under the current market conditions, the building is worth less now.

He asked the city business administrator to conduct two audits before moving forward with purchasing the building.
"To pay top market rate a year-and-a-half ago is an atrocity," he said.

The council voted 9-0 to table the item.
"Hopefully they do come back with lower bids on it," Council President Peter Brennan said.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 19:29
Top


Re: Cat groomer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Groomingdales is good. my cat is a pain in the ass and they gave her a lion's cut without a problem.

if you just need to comb your cat and cut their nails you should probably learn how to do that. it isn't that hard.
they will eventually get used to it.Quote:

Br6dR wrote:
For some reason my female tuxedo cat won't clean her back. So her back starts looking like it has mange. The vet combed her the last time I took her there but I don't think that's an option. Are there cat groomers in Jersey City?

Posted on: 2009/11/10 19:29
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


I don't get this thread - if you hate how wealthy Downtown has become why not just move to the Heights or Journal Square? We like both these areas.

If you miss the old Hard Grove then go try a cuban sandwich (or better some Chicken stew with beans and rice for $4) at Rumba's on Central Ave -- if that's not real enough then there is always Newark's Ironbound -- it is still on the same PATH train to Manhattan.

I feel for you -- we got priced out of Williamsburg -- but things really do change -- at least real estate prices are pretty low now!

Posted on: 2009/11/10 19:24
Top


Re: Documentaries on The Wall :: November 10th & 11th @ theWAREHOUSE
Newbie
Newbie


into great silence looks very very interesting...

Posted on: 2009/11/10 19:08
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
<-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one.

Quote:

kitten wrote:
OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.



You might still be able to get it for $250k.


lol, I wish.....

Posted on: 2009/11/10 18:59
Top


Re: Jersey City Protesters Picket AIG, Slam Big Bonuses -- "You Got Bailed Out! We Got Sold Out!"
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Bailout of AIG and salary for the new AIG CEO are two different things. I won't argue whether I think bailouts are good or bad, because they have already happened and are a sunk cost.

I will argue that because of the bailout, the government better make darn sure that AIG turns itself around and they should "hire the best" to do it. A $10 million investment to protect your billions of investment in AIG makes sense.

If you look at his record, I think it speaks for itself because MetLife is one of the few that came out looking relatively great even through all of this mess of the last two years.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 18:25
Top


Re: Newark Avenue StreetScape
Home away from home
Home away from home


meddling management-types demanding a process that's more labor-intensive and results in an inferior product? sounds like my old job in network television. sorry you also have to live that, Jogi. godspeed.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 18:17
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Uh oh. This thread seems familiar. Deja vu or SSDD?

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:41
Top


Re: Jersey City Protesters Picket AIG, Slam Big Bonuses -- "You Got Bailed Out! We Got Sold Out!"
Newbie
Newbie


These same morons who protested bailouts probably voted for Corzine

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:36
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
<-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one.

Quote:

kitten wrote:
OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.



You might still be able to get it for $250k.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:31
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
<-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one.

Quote:

kitten wrote:
OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.


Me too. I laughed at one of the Delfornios many years ago when he said it was going to get like Brooklyn around here. I thought he was insane. I was too chicken to take on a lot of debt back then thinking if the RE market tanks I'm up sh**s creek. But no one has a crystal ball.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:29
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I think he's also alluding to the prevailing sense of entitlement that some exhibit that because they now live here, those who were already here (e.g. latino people on Columbus Ave) need to get out or lamenting some of the things that often exist in cities (diversity, dollar stores, more noise) to appeal to their sensibilities. I personally want the City to improve (parks/greenspace, better streets/roads, varied retail) but I don't want it to morph into a carbon copy of Hoboken.


Yes that all fine and good, but in reality I see no difference between the two anymore. Give it a few more years and JC will have all those soccer moms and frat bros, just like Hoboken. Sad but most likely true.


Oh, stop it. You know you want to be a frat boy and bang a soccer mom.


Bang the soccer mom yes, be a frat boy??? No way jose.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:11
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


<-----Guilty!!! A funny...not so funny truth. One of my favorite brownstones in HP was on the market for 250k back in 95/96 ish. I passed on it think it was "too high" and now is on the market for over a million. Yes...I am kicking myself on that one.

Quote:

kitten wrote:
OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:09
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I think he's also alluding to the prevailing sense of entitlement that some exhibit that because they now live here, those who were already here (e.g. latino people on Columbus Ave) need to get out or lamenting some of the things that often exist in cities (diversity, dollar stores, more noise) to appeal to their sensibilities. I personally want the City to improve (parks/greenspace, better streets/roads, varied retail) but I don't want it to morph into a carbon copy of Hoboken.


Yes that all fine and good, but in reality I see no difference between the two anymore. Give it a few more years and JC will have all those soccer moms and frat bros, just like Hoboken. Sad but most likely true.


Oh, stop it. You know you want to be a frat boy and bang a soccer mom.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:05
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Quote:

JC98 wrote:

The other morning I sat by the fountain and I saw one of these guys who have the hair in their face and a full beard. I ask my friend about the intention and he says:\"It is not a beard. It is the ironic take on a beard.\" I wish you would take your ironic beard back to Alpine.


some guy grew facial hair. so what? people have ironic beards all over the globe, not just jersey city.

boo hoo.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 17:01
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
I think he's also alluding to the prevailing sense of entitlement that some exhibit that because they now live here, those who were already here (e.g. latino people on Columbus Ave) need to get out or lamenting some of the things that often exist in cities (diversity, dollar stores, more noise) to appeal to their sensibilities. I personally want the City to improve (parks/greenspace, better streets/roads, varied retail) but I don't want it to morph into a carbon copy of Hoboken.


Yes that all fine and good, but in reality I see no difference between the two anymore. Give it a few more years and JC will have all those soccer moms and frat bros, just like Hoboken. Sad but most likely true.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:56
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away


Congrats on being the vanguard for gentrification.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:53
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


OP, please just admit that you are mad because you didn't buy a place when they were cheap. and now you are smacking yourself.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:52
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


I think he's also alluding to the prevailing sense of entitlement that some exhibit that because they now live here, those who were already here (e.g. latino people on Columbus Ave) need to get out or lamenting some of the things that often exist in cities (diversity, dollar stores, more noise) to appeal to their sensibilities. I personally want the City to improve (parks/greenspace, better streets/roads, varied retail) but I don't want it to morph into a carbon copy of Hoboken.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:47
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:
I dont mean to single you out Stani, its just that whenever this topic arises this is always the typical answer. I understand what the og poster is talking about, and its not that they want it to look like Ocean ave but also not like a mini Hoboken or Manhattan like it does now.


Maybe if your tunnel vision is particularly strong and you squint just right in a certain direction at the exact right time of the day you might find a handful of blocks (couple of handfuls? handsful? hands full?) that look like Manhattan.

No, Downtown JC is still decades away from being confused with Manhattan. A strip of (mostly ugly) high rises and pockets of brownstones can't begin to compensate for the blight that is most of downtown.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:42
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

I dont mean to single you out Stani, its just that whenever this topic arises this is always the typical answer. I understand what the og poster is talking about, and its not that they want it to look like Ocean ave but also not like a mini Hoboken or Manhattan like it does now.


I guess what I was trying to say is that when things change in a way that you don't like, there's usually a solution and often a silver lining. Yes, moving is a pain, but when you move from a more-yuppified area to a lesser one, you usually save money on rent. I'm sure there are other benefits as well. And keep in mind that one neighborhood's loss is another's gain.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:42
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

stani wrote:
Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

The same old stupid response.


Well I'm sorry, but if the OP's issue was only with VVP and not Jersey City as a whole, he/she should have been more explicit.


I dont mean to single you out Stani, its just that whenever this topic arises this is always the typical answer. I understand what the og poster is talking about, and its not that they want it to look like Ocean ave but also not like a mini Hoboken or Manhattan like it does now.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:30
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


blah, blah, blah.

these types of posts are just as annoying as the dog leash nonsense that prevails this site.

blame the white man. yawn.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:28
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

crushthedemoniac wrote:

The same old stupid response.


Well I'm sorry, but if the OP's issue was only with VVP and not Jersey City as a whole, he/she should have been more explicit.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:23
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


Quote:

stani wrote:
Don't be so blue, there are still plenty of parts of Jersey City that are rough like the good ole days. Maybe not downtown, but certainly pockets of Greenville, Bergen Lafayette and others. You could probably move to MLK Dr. and it would seem like '98 all over again.


The same old stupid response.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:19
Top


Re: Ode to my lost home/ My first posting in 11 years of living here
Home away from home
Home away from home


It's a stinking world because it lets the young get onto the old like you done. It's no world for an old man any more. What sort of a world is it at all? Men on the moon and men spinning around the earth and there's not no attention paid to earthly law and order no more.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:16
Top



TopTop
« 1 ... 3791 3792 3793 (3794) 3795 3796 3797 ... 5790 »






Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!



LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact


JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014